Should be able to ban a ghost in my house that i cant see...

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Happy Gilmore

Should be able to ban a ghost in my house that i cant see...

Post by Happy Gilmore »

I remember clearly that you can ban a ghost that is not in war mode by using last target.

Back in the OSI days I would run around with a newbie char looking for people inside their house. I would stand out front hoping they would open the front door. When they would open the front door I would run past them and blow myself up with a trapped chest. Back then you would get a menu with 2 options, 1) instant rez with stat loss or 2) come as a ghost. People would laugh and say what a dumb shit. Hours later after they left or logged out I would instant rez inside their house and let my buddy in. Why I mention this story is... The only way to get me out of the house was to kill yourself set my ghost as last target, re-rez then say "i ban thee" last target.

Capitalist

Re: Should be able to ban a ghost in my house that i cant se

Post by Capitalist »

Get your Patrick Swayze focus on.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This is likely something that you can find evidence for on the newsgroups, should the information exist. I'd check there, and post any findings here, as there is no information in the patch notes one way or the other.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Aeris
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Aeris »

Happy Gilmore wrote:Back in the OSI days I would run around with a newbie char looking for people inside their house. I would stand out front hoping they would open the front door. When they would open the front door I would run past them and blow myself up with a trapped chest. Back then you would get a menu with 2 options, 1) instant rez with stat loss or 2) come as a ghost. People would laugh and say what a dumb shit. Hours later after they left or logged out I would instant rez inside their house and let my buddy in.
This is awesome.
Taboo wrote:News flash, you are weak as fuck and can do nothing to detour me.

You have a cat dancing around mixing a record on your signature. Shut the fuck up farnk.

/next

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Happy Gilmore wrote:I remember clearly that you can ban a ghost that is not in war mode by using last target.

Back in the OSI days I would run around with a newbie char looking for people inside their house. I would stand out front hoping they would open the front door. When they would open the front door I would run past them and blow myself up with a trapped chest. Back then you would get a menu with 2 options, 1) instant rez with stat loss or 2) come as a ghost. People would laugh and say what a dumb shit. Hours later after they left or logged out I would instant rez inside their house and let my buddy in. Why I mention this story is... The only way to get me out of the house was to kill yourself set my ghost as last target, re-rez then say "i ban thee" last target.
I was there. I concur with this.

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

When was instant res with stat loss removed? I clearly remember it, but no idea when it was patched out.
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Instant resurrection was removed as part of the February 2000 patch, but Derrick removed it here some time ago due to what he felt was the exploitative nature of disposable characters on secondary accounts. Please note that the option shouldn't be usable as a method of breaking into houses here, as moving with the resurrection menu should be impossible, as was done on OSI servers in 1998. If it isn't, please let us know.

As for the main topic, I was unable to find anything that suggested that it was possible to ban a ghost that you couldn't see, although it is known that the ban option didn't check for line of sight on live characters (e.g. you could ban someone on a separate floor from you). If anyone can find some relevant information, we'll make the change to ignore whether the target is visible or not.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Kaivan wrote: As for the main topic, I was unable to find anything that suggested that it was possible to ban a ghost that you couldn't see, although it is known that the ban option didn't check for line of sight on live characters (e.g. you could ban someone on a separate floor from you). If anyone can find some relevant information, we'll make the change to ignore whether the target is visible or not.
There was a time period when hidden and ghost players location data WAS sent to the client. This was exploted by third party programs (that I am sure you have used) to gain the ability to see hidden players.

During this time it was possible to target hidden or ghost characters.

After the server stopped sending data on hidden/dead players, this was no longer possible. I don't remember when this change occured though, but it was no doubt well before the UOSA time period.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It's true that such data was originally sent to the client, and was later withheld starting with the 9/16/98 patch notes, which pre-date the house commands by a few months. The issue with sending the data was that the client was relied upon to prevent players from doing things like stealing items on players that were hidden, as well as doing things like accessing the bank box of the player using the exploit program (these were things that were also fixed along with that patch). The issue is that I'm not entirely sure that the methods for fixing these issues necessarily mean that it would also be impossible to target an unmanifested ghost. Either way, we'll need some clear evidence to make any changes.

randale

Post by randale »

Kaivan wrote:Instant resurrection was removed as part of the February 2000 patch,
No, it wasn't. I had the game in Nov 99 and a died a few times before then and I was NEVER ever given the option to res with penalties, despite what my game manual said.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

randale wrote:
Kaivan wrote:Instant resurrection was removed as part of the February 2000 patch,
No, it wasn't. I had the game in Nov 99 and a died a few times before then and I was NEVER ever given the option to res with penalties, despite what my game manual said.
Way back in the day, the only way to dispense with this entirely was to manually edit the UO.CFG file: if you installed and configured UO yourself, you might (not) remember doing this, and/or whether or not you permanently and completely disabled 'Rez with penalties'; if a friend or family member had configured the installation, you might not know even that UO.CFG had been edited.

My own memories are terribly vague as to what I did/didn't do when I edited my own UO.CFG ... so I can offer nothing more.
MatronDeWinter wrote:There was a time period when hidden and ghost players location data WAS sent to the client....During this time it was possible to target hidden or ghost characters.
I possess vague memories of ghosts appearing in the Tracking menu, summer '98, which was something I felt was greatly amusing at the time, having no idea at the time what kind of exploits might be available to ghosts (such as the one described in the OP).

Ahh, the nostalgia ...

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.