Curing poison is too easy ...

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
SighelmofWyrmgard

Curing poison is too easy ...

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

I've wanted to bring this up for a while (I'm talking, "years"), but I wanted to try to make sure of my evidence (btw, I have none) to make sure that I would be offering a valid argument.

I hope others who are better-versed-than-I in investigating issues of era-accuracy might pick-up on my failures.

My "evidence": an anecdote, only, and which might even be pre-t2A (although I never remember seeing a patch-note that made poison-curing "easier"):

Those who were there will remember that we did not have stat/skill locks and, at least for a while, we could gain skill indirectly.

OK, so, OSI-Chesapeake-Saxmund is entertaining/babysitting his "UO girlfriend", whom I will identify only as, "Jewel": she wants to slay Bone Knights; I'm kind-of bored (I do not even remember which Dungeon this is; Deceit?). Anyhoo, stupid-me is in another room and I'm bored so I start to throw open crates.

Um, bad idea: I trigger lvl-5 poison …

I must have been ridiculously-lucky timing my Recall: it was not interrupted and I appeared at WBB; "Bank" and, while I was doing anything/everything to "not die until I got all my stuff off of me and into the bank", it was not going to be enough, soon-enough.

There was a crowd at WBB, including a lot of nice folks: while trying "to strip", I'm also accepting trade-offers for GCure, and gulping them, and no good; I don't know how many times some kind person dropped In Vas Mani; I was handed several GHeal potions; I was also hit by a veritable barrage of An Nox; ALL to no effect.

Wow, still alive and stripped-to-underwear, I ride off towards the Healers: "Thnx: Healers now"; I get about 10 metres from the bank and my green-hitbar turns blue …

I remember that someone at WBB remarked, "I've never seen anyone survive lvl-5 poison".

I mentioned no stat/skill locks for a purpose: I did have 100 Strength, but such a thing required work to maintain in that era.

Of all the people who hit me with An Nox, what was their Magery? I can have no idea. I can't remember, now, how many GCures I gulped, and certainly have no idea as to the level of the alchemists.

I will say that my experiences with poison, here at UOSA, do not commute with my experiences on OSI; furthermore, according to information imported to our Wiki, what we currently have 'live' is not nearly as nasty as what was 'live' on OSI.

Some folks might think that I'm "butthurt": lol, Coop DeGrace is one of my most-favourite characters; the 1st time that William of Yew got swiped by that Poison Elemental should have been certain death but, well, wasn't.

I appreciate that what I have supplied is anecdotal and insubstantial: I'd love it if someone could provide better evidence.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Apocalypse

Re: Curing poison is too easy ...

Post by Apocalypse »

Found this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7291&start=15

Not enough time to really look into this right now, but thought this might be a good resource for you.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Re: Curing poison is too easy ...

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Apocalypse, thanks: it is a good resource even though, haha, it stops my inquiry right dead in the water.

Faust's demo scripts must be considered the best, indeed only, hard information that we can have available.

The info in our wiki had been imported from Stratics (I tried to find that page through the Wayback Machine and got a "404"): Stratics was/is a good resource in so many respects, but not all of their information was ever 100% accurate.

I do wonder if OSI deliberately revised certain scripts to "dumb-down" the demo: a specious, fleeting notion (particularly that they would expend any such effort at all); and, of course, pure speculation.

I'm satisfied that there is nowhere to go with this.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.