Orc masks

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Naljier

Orc masks

Post by Naljier »

arnt orcs supposed to ignore you while you wear an orc mask?

i vaguely remember this being so back in the day but i could be wrong
anyone remember how this worked?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Orc masks

Post by MatronDeWinter »

This is some UO:R stuff, like with savages and savage paint. I think there were stealthing npc orcs that dropped special masks that made orcs ignore you. Way out of era, because I remember this happening in 3d dawn.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

correct ... was the Green Orcish Kin Masks. that was not during T2A

pm_lamont

Post by pm_lamont »

The orc masks DO spawn on this shard. I sure that it was a UOR thing. The REGULAR orc masks would disquise you against orcs. If it is UOR, we should trash the orc mask spawn all together. It is useless without its special ability to disquise you anyway.

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

pm_lamont wrote:The orc masks DO spawn on this shard. I sure that it was a UOR thing. The REGULAR orc masks would disquise you against orcs. If it is UOR, we should trash the orc mask spawn all together. It is useless without its special ability to disquise you anyway.
Bloodrock Clan uses them for RP. So, not entirely useless. PvP/PvM isn't the only thing that makes a shard. RP is fun, too.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Orc masks spawn because they spawned in T2A. I didn't play UO:R so I know nothing of special orc masks, and believe me I think what is described is cool, but i know for certain that regular masks are T2A and therefore should continue to spawn.

I tell you guys what, the Bloodrock Clan would gladly take those useless orc masks and orc helms off your hands. Just PM me with your stash and I'll rid you of their presences without charging you a disposal fee.

pm_lamont

Post by pm_lamont »

I agree whole heartedly with using them for RP. Given that they are T2A, I retract my earlier post about them being useless. This in fact gives them new life in my perspective.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

My offer to take them off your hands though still stands. Ukie? ;)

wisedevil

Post by wisedevil »

I am sorry for being a nercomancer, but still, any reference on how exactly did brown (regular) orc mask work during 97-99 eras? I am sure the green ones were added way latter in LBR or something. Did the regular ones actually disguise you/gave you face blast on attacking an orc wearing them?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

As far as I know, they did nothing.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Regular orc masks are nothing but masks, much like bear, deer and various tribals.
Copy/Pasta from here.

Masks Of Orcish Kin are Orc Masks that spawn as loot on Orc Mages or Savage Warriors (both male and female versions). It imparts a karma loss for equipping it or for logging in while wearing it. While worn, the mask will cause you to be ignored by all Orcs and prevents Orcs from being Provoked upon you.

The mask will explode and be destroyed (causing roughly 50 Hit Points of damage in the process) for committing following actions while wearing it:
You attack an Orc;
You equip it while in combat with an Orc;
Allowing your pet to attack an Orc;
You steal from an Orc; or
You Polymorph.

Interestingly, the masks can be blessed with a Clothing Bless Deed.

/done copy/pasta

Not sure what time-frame they were initially implemented but fairly certain it wasn't until UO:R times.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

wisedevil

Post by wisedevil »

Modern UOGuide is the worst source of information, nothing there is about oldschool UO era and it does not show any time frame information on given material (they don't show for how long did this item existed, when it was added etc).

Classic orc masks existed for as long as UO did. Here's a pic from 09/98:

Source: UO Travelogues

My question still stands.. did they (classic orc masks, not green) make orcs ignore you?

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

wisedevil wrote:
My question still stands.. did they (classic orc masks, not green) make orcs ignore you?
The answer is no. The effect you are asking about did not come around until masks of orcish kin did which was not until UO:R as far as my brief research can tell.

The earliest reports of masks of orcish kin that I can find in groups.google.com are mid-2001.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Orc masks did not make the orcs ignore you.
How do I know this?
I lived at Xroads and went up and fought shadowclan on a regular basis from early 98 on. They always had to clear out the fort and a lot of them (especially the mages) wore orc masks. The orcs still attacked them.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

UO rares has a good explanation of the history behind the orc scenario. It details the addition of the new types of orcs, and the introduction of savages and the accompanying items, including the tribal masks and masks of orcish kin among other items. This stratics news archive for quests gives us an idea of when this scenario was running: during early to mid 2001.

To answer the main question: orc masks do nothing but look interesting.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org