Curing Poison? Era Accurate?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: Curing Poison? Era Accurate?

Post by Faust »

Poison Strength Levels wrote: Lesser = 1
Regular = 2
Greater = 3
Deadly = 4
Lethal = 5
Sorry, the formula was screwed up big time on my part while converting it from randomly named variable values to a named value from the code file...

Code: Select all

int pVal = (PoisonStrength * 1750);
int sVal = (Magery * 75);

if ( ((10000 + ( sVal - pVal )) / 100 ) > random(1,100) )
   // Success;
else
   // Fail;
The pVal should have been subtracted from the sVal instead of vice versa.

Here are some generated values below while using this particular formula...
Skill - Success Chance
Lesser
050.0 = 120.0%
100.0 = 157.0%

Regular
050.0 = 102.5%
100.0 = 140.0%

Greater
050.0 = 85.00%
100.0 = 122.5%

Deadly
050.0 = 67.50%
100.0 = 105.0%

Lethal
050.0 = 50.00%
100.0 = 87.50%
Edit:
Here is another great piece of information that clearly states the change with this spell in July '04...
One of the biggest changes publish 25 (the PvP publish) brought to UO was the change in the cure spell - it is now a lot harder to cure higher level poisons with the cure spell. Since the second level cure spell was now essentially nerfed, the development team decided to increase the effectiveness of the level 4 spell "Arch Cure". However, since Arch Cure casts a lot slower than Cure, some changes had to be made; so instead of casting like a regular 4th circle spell, Arch Cure now casts like a 3rd circle spell instead, meaning its only 0.25 seconds slower than the regular cure, but a lot more effective in terms of curing poisons. Of course, this means you'll have to spend more mana to cure poison (11 versus 6), but overall its a nice change to make higher level poisons more worthwhile. I'll add a table to illustrate the effectiveness of the Cure spells.

Cure Spell - 100 Magery
Lesser - 100%
Regular - 100%
Greater - 76%
Deadly - 43%
Lethal - 10%

Arch Cure Spell - 100 Magery
Lesser - 100%
Regular - 100%
Greater - 100%
Deadly - 100%
Lethal - 87%

Reference: http://uo.stratics.com/content/professi ... ells.shtml
What is interesting about this article is that the values of the Arch Cure spell is that they are EXACTLY the same values that both cure spells produce with the demo formula.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks for all the great research on this. What we currently have is not RunUO default, but also does not correspond to the formulas above. The demo formulas above were pre-T2A of course, but the only changes that i know of to poison mechanics in era was the fix for being able to drink a lesser poison to override a poison of greater potency.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I was looking at archived static pages and found this about poisoining.

Now keep in mind, this is an era essay and he says at near GM Magery he has to cast cure 3 to 4 times to cure DP.

http://web.archive.org/web/200004141517 ... essay.html

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

This is the essay upon which most of our current system is based :/

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I stand corrected. This URL clearly shows that 2 handed weapons were able to be poisoned in T2A. Look at the bottom.

Case is 100% closed for me.
http://web.archive.org/web/20000711132 ... n/faq.html

Faust

Post by Faust »

That case should have been closed after reading the patch note in the UOR publish that I sent you that clearly says two handed weapons can no longer be poisoned.

Also, as Derrick stated the current system is based on that one source. However, that source is the only source that exists to "claim" this account. The multiple sources that currently exist to debunk that simply trumps it significantly making that "one" source very uncreditable in my opinion.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

I found a posting in the archived newsgroups about a guy being angry with curing:
http://groups.google.be/group/rec.games ... ode=source
taken from here (the top):
http://groups.google.be/group/rec.games ... f361692c63
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Faust

Post by Faust »

That person doesn't seem very familiar with the game very much.

Ophidian Avengers use lethal poison not deadly.

I have noticed through my research of poison that people tend to call lethal poison which is level 5 deadly on several occassions for some reason.

Oddity

Post by Oddity »

(preface: my experience is from uo:r until things got retarded with AoS. Played a lot of factions... But from what I have read the tables for magery & curing are the same as they were in the t2a era)

I'm going to have to agree with whoever stated previously that arch cure has the same potency as regular cure, just with an area effect function.

I don't remember ever failing to cure lvl 1-4 poison at gm magery... I even remember thinking how stupid and underpowered nox templates were because of it. Hardly ever saw any nox dexxers either because of it.

Arch cure was only used in large faction fights when a shitload of people got hit by a poison field. It was never used for a single target, ever.