Perma Red:

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Perma Red:

Post by Faust »

Can we finally just implement perma red here?

This clearly shows you when perma red was patched in a long with "long term" counts.
UO.com - The Recent Past Oct 18 1999 6:45PM - http://www.uo.com/cgi-bin/newstools.pl?Article=1100 wrote:Players’ biggest concerns back then were blue player killers, house security, and general housing issues. Things have changed quite a bit since then. Blue player killers used to be a constant problem for our community because anti-social players would avoid the constraints of being a murderer by “macroing” as a ghost. To remedy this, we implemented a “long term” murder count that took 40 hours to complete. This extended the amount of time it took to become blue again, thereby reducing the frequency of blue players killing others. In addition, we added a “ping-pong” counter to help identify players who displayed a pattern of becoming a murderer and then going back to being blue. If they did it too often, the “Ping-Pong” counter would flag them as permanent murderers. These changes, in addition to a few smaller ones, have caused the blue player killer to fall right off the list of top player concerns.
The problem without a "ping pong counter" aka perma red counter is the inconsistency that it creates with the current system. Long term counts has been implemented here for a very long time now. This creates a murder system that never actually existed since perma red was added at the same time.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Perma Red:

Post by tekai »

Does this in all honosty really matter?

Impliment it right away, it doesnt matter.

The 12 or so people who are red, are red forever anyway, and the few blue PKs (like myself) always wait to be at 0 counts before we go past 2 or 3.
[broken image]

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Agreed with Faust (you don't see that unless it's an accuracy issue :) ) - This is a good change to implement.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

If it's implemented, the counting should begin now, and should not be applied ex post facto. It hardly seems fair, considering that I and others have asked constantly whether this was in effect, and have played accordingly.

Ryemus

Post by Ryemus »

Fwerp wrote:If it's implemented, the counting should begin now, and should not be applied ex post facto. It hardly seems fair, considering that I and others have asked constantly whether this was in effect, and have played accordingly.

i highly doubt they could go back and count everyones ping-pongs from red to blue. you are safe my lil newb pk
Ryemus -U-

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

Alts with 10 hps and the ability to multi client along with the screwed up murder count system would absolutely pervert this intended change IMO.

I'm not against the change, but when you're trying to stay blue and accidentally hit the attack last target macro right as you're healing some random blue, just so they can end up dieing and counting you, that's messed up. I thought you had to deal damage to be eligible for a murder count?

Pro

Post by Pro »

ye until that parafield bullshit with ace is fixed this really doesn't need to be added in

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Pro wrote:ye until that parafield bullshit with ace is fixed this really doesn't need to be added in
I agree with pro 100% on this one, until the muder count issues are resolved...

para
para field
Explode-recall
EV-recall
ect..

There shouldnt be any drastic change to the red-system, not that it would really matter though, most real "reds", not the occasional red (ala fwerp), are staying red anyway. But I DO think this would cut down on some of the blue PKing, because if they kept accidentally going red and back they would eventually suffer long-term side effects.

It's really funny though, during T2A, you would jump into a bladespirit to kill the caster and get his stuff, but here you jump into it to give them counts. No personal gain, just grief. Not that I have a problem with it, just pointing that out.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

Also, there was some benefit to being perma red (shorter short terms or something), right?

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

That would be cool.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Pro wrote:ye until that parafield bullshit with ace is fixed this really doesn't need to be added in
What exactly needs fixed for paralyze fields?

esteban

Post by esteban »

Under the current criminal flagging system, a blue character is capable of running into an already-casted (and targetted) para-field, and flag the caster as a criminal.

Due to being able to do this, when a warring character casts a para-field to stop TTStoner's White Wyrms, we'd send in a wave of non-guilded blue newbie characters to flag the caster as a criminal. We then get our blue characters killed, resurrected, and run into the para-field again (until the spell is gone).

I'm sure you can imagine the number of murder counts we were able to rack up on one gullible character whom kept on casting para-field even though he was being reported a lot.

Whether this is an era-accurate criminal-flagging system, or whether a spell has to do damage for the caster to be flagged a criminal, I have no idea.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Unfortunately the flagging/murder system is era accurate and there is nothing you can do about that.

That is the risk that you take when releasing any AoE, field, and berserk summons.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Fwerp wrote:Also, there was some benefit to being perma red (shorter short terms or something), right?
I don't believe so. I think that perma red was a "Alright, you've had enough chances, now you're stuck as a murderer forever" kinda thing.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Faust wrote:Unfortunately the flagging/murder system is era accurate and there is nothing you can do about that.

That is the risk that you take when releasing any AoE, field, and berserk summons.
Unfortunately, neither is three free accounts ^_^ and the ability to log all three on at the same time from the same computer :-) I think the general issue people have claimed is that with so many extra accounts (and everyone having them) that it creates flaws that are not T2A accurate.

For example, in the true T2A if I killed someone there was a good chance they didn't have 2 or 3 accounts and wouldn't instantly pop in with another character trying to get revenge.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock