How are Damage Types Used

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: How are Damage Types Used

Post by Ronk »

Just got another response to my email to the stratics team, from Xena! I am sure most of you remember that name...here is what she said:

"Xena Dragon"
Hi,

Considering this email I received in May 1999 I think it's safe to assume that the katana speed we had on the site back then was not accurate...

===

Hey Xena, its your physicist with the weapons speed data. Because of the crash of the LS server tonight I had to meet a friend on yamato where I had some gold but no real fighter. with this in mind I was very limited in what I could do. I'm going out of town till Monday, so I'll do more when I get back, but using a katana and having a 33 dex (also 24.2 swords) I found I was attacking about 24 times per min. According to my figures this means either the katana has an actual weapon speed of 45 not 58 or the 15000 in the calculation should be replaced by 19285. I get this as follows: (33 dex+100)(58 speed)(60 seconds)/ 15000=24 since this equation is wrong either the 58 or the 15000 is wrong (or the 24). I checked the number of attacks several times, so I'm pretty sure about the 24. Obviously we need more data to find out where the problem is. I'll let you know probably Monday night or Tuesday. Have a good weekend.

At 15:41 14-7-2009, P Ryvvik wrote:
> Do you guys at stratics archive the old versions of the webpage? I am trying to graph how weapon speed/damage changed over the years on UO but am encountering a big gap. I was using the way back machine and get some weapon damages from 1999 and 2000...but then the next change isn't until 2006.
>
> One main point I am researching is whether the old 1999 stratics page was in error when it said the katana was faster than the kryss (given that every other era/weapon chart) states that the kryss is faster.
>
> If you could shed light on this situation and/or provide some archives of the weapon speed/damage charts, it would be most helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> - Kyle

Xena Dragon
Webmaster UO Stratics
http://uo.stratics.com/
Note, he calculated it at around 45 using rough timing/math. If we take the may stats of 58 and subtract 10 (assuming they fat fingered 5 instead of 4 by mistake), 48 is very close and seems to fit with our memories.

So I dunno.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Ronk wrote:Just got another response to my email to the stratics team, from Xena! I am sure most of you remember that name...here is what she said:

"Xena Dragon"
Hi,

Considering this email I received in May 1999 I think it's safe to assume that the katana speed we had on the site back then was not accurate...

===

Hey Xena, its your physicist with the weapons speed data. Because of the crash of the LS server tonight I had to meet a friend on yamato where I had some gold but no real fighter. with this in mind I was very limited in what I could do. I'm going out of town till Monday, so I'll do more when I get back, but using a katana and having a 33 dex (also 24.2 swords) I found I was attacking about 24 times per min. According to my figures this means either the katana has an actual weapon speed of 45 not 58 or the 15000 in the calculation should be replaced by 19285. I get this as follows: (33 dex+100)(58 speed)(60 seconds)/ 15000=24 since this equation is wrong either the 58 or the 15000 is wrong (or the 24). I checked the number of attacks several times, so I'm pretty sure about the 24. Obviously we need more data to find out where the problem is. I'll let you know probably Monday night or Tuesday. Have a good weekend.

> Do you guys at stratics archive the old versions of the webpage? I am trying to graph how weapon speed/damage changed over the years on UO but am encountering a big gap. I was using the way back machine and get some weapon damages from 1999 and 2000...but then the next change isn't until 2006.
>
> One main point I am researching is whether the old 1999 stratics page was in error when it said the katana was faster than the kryss (given that every other era/weapon chart) states that the kryss is faster.
>
> If you could shed light on this situation and/or provide some archives of the weapon speed/damage charts, it would be most helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> - Kyle

Xena Dragon
Webmaster UO Stratics
Note, he calculated it at around 45 using rough timing/math. If we take the may stats of 58 and subtract 10 (assuming they fat fingered 5 instead of 4 by mistake), 48 is very close and seems to fit with our memories.

So I dunno.
Very nice information there, I'm sure hemperor is already sending Xena Dragon an email validating this claim :lol: . I think this lends further proof to the belief we all had anyway, fencing is faster, always has been that way. I can only assume that the quote hemperor posted is mearly in referance to reading the mis-written stratics numbers and (obviously) not factual data.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

It was information that you could take as you please. Although it was no weaker than your opinions of "I KNOW KRYSS WAS FASTER". Please get off my nuts, you've been trailing them all over this board.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

I think its becoming rather clear that the table we use is FUBAR as far as katana/kryss speed go. Any chance of having this on test, on a mirror, over the weekend?
?

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Ronk wrote:Just got another response to my email to the stratics team, from Xena! I am sure most of you remember that name...here is what she said:

"Xena Dragon"
Hi,

===

>
>
>
> Thanks,
> - Kyle

Xena Dragon
Webmaster UO Stratics

So I dunno.
Amazing work Ronk!

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Kraarug wrote:
Amazing work Ronk!
Thank Xena, she's the one that took the time to dig and respond :-)
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Wow, yep. Great lead Ronk, thanks!

I think just about everything we have besides the stratics page that's in question points towards the katana being a speed of 48.

Interestingly, the 24 times per minute comes out to exactly 2.5 secs/swing, which further defends the 0.25 sec granularity of the combat swing timer as well, which is also refreshing.

IdleBlade

Post by IdleBlade »

Derrick wrote:Wow, yep. Great lead Ronk, thanks!

I think just about everything we have besides the stratics page that's in question points towards the katana being a speed of 48.

Interestingly, the 24 times per minute comes out to exactly 2.5 secs/swing, which further defends the 0.25 sec granularity of the combat swing timer as well, which is also refreshing.
So does this mean we are close to making the kryss faster than the katana now?

Commodore Axavious

Post by Commodore Axavious »

Sorry to revive something so old, but, being new here I was interested about this...

Seems like more than a year ago now, everyone made up their minds that Katana speed was meant to be 48, not 58. But, the link to the weapons table in the "Guides" section of the website still lists the Katana at 58.

Was it ever changed back to 48?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Commodore Axavious wrote:Sorry to revive something so old, but, being new here I was interested about this...

Seems like more than a year ago now, everyone made up their minds that Katana speed was meant to be 48, not 58. But, the link to the weapons table in the "Guides" section of the website still lists the Katana at 58.

Was it ever changed back to 48?
It was changed, fencing is faster now.

s20dan

Post by s20dan »

Sorry to bring this up but: According to the manual (thats right I still have the manual ;) ), the Katana is listed as a "Very Fast" weapon, and the short spear listed as a "Fast" weapon. However here the Katana is slower than the Short spear by 2 points. (Speed 48 vs 50)
The manual is most lkely wrong but I'd like clarification if anyone knows:

Cheers.

LeonZA

Post by LeonZA »

Is that the Renaissance or T2A manual?
I know it also showed up as 'Very Fast' in the Renaissnce Manual: http://www.uo.com/guide/renaissance.pdf
Don't know if there were any weapon speed changes between T2A and Renaissance

s20dan

Post by s20dan »

It's the T2A manual of course (Or bible as I used to call it ;) )

OhSnap
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OhSnap »

s20dan wrote:It's the T2A manual of course (Or bible as I used to call it ;) )
My guess is that the manual was printed at the beginning of T2A, and the weapon speeds were changed during T2A, so the manual is out of date. Of course it is just a theory, I have no idea.

Kordavox

Post by Kordavox »

The "Prima Official Strategy Guide" for uosa has a publish date of 1998 and has been posted in full on the forums. I think the weapon speed tables differs from the booklet that came with the xpac box. Seeing as the Prima guide is probably from a later date than the in-box booklet, I think it should be used more favorably than the booklet. To be fair though, the Prima guide is full of BS.