How are Damage Types Used

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: How are Damage Types Used

Post by Kaivan »

All other weapons except one were exactly as they should be. The one odd weapon out was the cutlass, which has an incorrectly reported value for speed or damage (we can't be sure which). However, we can tell that the reported value is incorrect based on the reported results for both the T2A and UOR Blacksmithy pages.

Despite having this information, the problem is that we can't really make a guess as to exactly what the speed and damage for the cutlass could have been. There are many possible combinations for speed and damage that could produce the required minimum difficulty to match with the available information. The problem is that we don't have a clue what it might be.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Nathaniel

Post by Nathaniel »

Kaivan wrote:All other weapons except one were exactly as they should be. The one odd weapon out was the cutlass, which has an incorrectly reported value for speed or damage (we can't be sure which). However, we can tell that the reported value is incorrect based on the reported results for both the T2A and UOR Blacksmithy pages.

Despite having this information, the problem is that we can't really make a guess as to exactly what the speed and damage for the scimitar could have been. There are many possible combinations for speed and damage that could produce the required minimum difficulty to match with the available information. The problem is that we don't have a clue what it might be.
Emphasis mine. Which one is it?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Sorry about that, late night mistake. It's the cutlass.

Stalker
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Stalker »

I coulda swore the dagger was fastest back in the day, then the katana. Guess not.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Dagger is definitely faster than the katana (or should be). As far as I know, the dagger is the fastest swing speed of any weapon in game. Skinning & butcher knife are close, but a tad slower, if I recall correctly.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

:D
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

Teh LawL Firm

Post by Teh LawL Firm »

Dagger is supposed to be the fastest weapon. As for kyrss & katanna i don't remeber but Dagger was definatly fastest, I would assume the less damage the weapon does the faster it should swing hence why dagger being the lowest damage weapon between the kyrss and katanna it was faster.

Seems to me people are wanting katannas to be faster because the main build on here is Swords/Tank Mage.
The formation of a hater's contempt commonly arises from jealously and/or resentment.

The Town Drunk

Post by The Town Drunk »

First hand experience from playing from the start....Fencing was the fastest, Katanas were fast but fencing was the fastest and did the least amount of damage.

That being said I fought a fencer last night with a kryss and it was fast as hell. Leave it alone.
Halbu: Don't know if you realize this but I've killed more pvpers 1v2, 1v3, 1v4, 1v5 than anyone else on the entire shard.
TownD: LOL

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The Town Drunk wrote:First hand experience from playing from the start....Fencing was the fastest, Katanas were fast but fencing was the fastest and did the least amount of damage.

That being said I fought a fencer last night with a kryss and it was fast as hell. Leave it alone.
Unfortunately, this isn't quite the case. Under the original weapon system and the weapons system that was put in place on 2/12/98, the katana was a slower weapon than the kryss, and did do less damage. However, with the weapons change on 11/10/98, the katana became the faster weapon.

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

so i take it swing speeds are staying as is...? And where could i find the current swing speed table for all weapons exclusive to our server (UOSA) ?
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This thread has links to several pieces of information. The link for weapons goes to the stratics tables, which are accurate to UOSA for all weapons.

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

Nobody that has played UO ever (regardless of the era) actually thinks a Katana was ever faster than a Dagger....just saying

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It's not really a matter of whether any player did or didn't think that the katana was faster. It simply was.

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

Edited: Due to the fact it is stupid to argue when this has been argued as naseum and the fact it has been changed and rechanged shows the above comment is just pompus more than anything else.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

a mexican wrote:Edited: Due to the fact it is stupid to argue when this has been argued as naseum and the fact it has been changed and rechanged shows the above comment is just pompus more than anything else.
While it's true that we have changed the speed of the katana in the past, this was done based on what we thought was the best information at the time. Since then, we have found far better information that confirms that the weapon speed of the katana was 58. Any other weapon speed is wrong, and it is certainly not pompous to state this.

If anyone is interested in the explanation, I am happy to explain how we know that the weapon speed and damages are correct (although, the explanation is long).