How are Damage Types Used

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

How are Damage Types Used

Post by Kraarug »

This is a from 1999 Stratics... I've never understood how the different damage types were used and I'm thinking that maybe this is where people thought that fencing was faster/better for interruption than swords with the fast katana.

http://web.archive.org/web/199911160347 ... damage.htm

This is also a link to an essay about fencing that clearly states that fencing was the fastest at the time.

http://web.archive.org/web/200003111901 ... fencer.htm

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: How are Damage Types Used

Post by Caswallon »

You know, the more i look at that weapon data table we use, the more i think there is a typo:

Katana 58
Dagger 55
Kryss 53
Short Spear 50
Quarter Staff 48

Does no one else think that maybe, just maybe, that 58 is a typo and should be 48? It would make more sense, the table would look like this:

Dagger 55
Kryss 53
Short Spear 50
Katana 48
Quarter Staff 48

I always remmember the dagger & kryss being way faster than anything else, and being surprised at how the short spear kept disrupting my melee attacks with a katana after my friend switched to fencing, we both had 100 dex and GM combat skills. i thought it was bull that a 2 handed weapon should be faster than a 1 handed blade at the time.

The dagger is always the fastest weapon, in every game ever made, ever. Its law, like smashing crates to reveal power ups and eating legs of lamb for health.

Im sure i remmember it being 'common knowledge' that the table on stratics was wrong and that was why, typo on katana speed. Alas i cannot find any proof for this so its all theory...if only the WBM archieved forums too....
?

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Caswallon wrote:You know, the more i look at that weapon data table we use, the more i think there is a typo:

Katana 58
Dagger 55
Kryss 53
Short Spear 50
Quarter Staff 48

Does no one else think that maybe, just maybe, that 58 is a typo and should be 48? It would make more sense, the table would look like this:

Dagger 55
Kryss 53
Short Spear 50
Katana 48
Quarter Staff 48

I always remmember the dagger & kryss being way faster than anything else, and being surprised at how the short spear kept disrupting my melee attacks with a katana after my friend switched to fencing, we both had 100 dex and GM combat skills. i thought it was bull that a 2 handed weapon should be faster than a 1 handed blade at the time.

The dagger is always the fastest weapon, in every game ever made, ever. Its law, like smashing crates to reveal power ups and eating legs of lamb for health.

Im sure i remmember it being 'common knowledge' that the table on stratics was wrong and that was why, typo on katana speed. Alas i cannot find any proof for this so its all theory...if only the WBM archieved forums too....
I think you are right and know that others have suggested that stratics page contained a typo.

I carried at least a dozen newbied DP daggars with my fencer for this particular belief, that the daggar was the fastest weapon.

I know I would often switch to a daggar to deliver a fast DP poison blow and killed a few attackers, even freshly ressed and in my death robe, with my collection of newbied dp toys.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Katana was not the same speed as a quarterstaff and defintely not slower than a short spear.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Not sure when weapon changes came in, but I remember katana being the fastest, hence me always being a swordsman..definitely in UO:R especially

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

Caswallon wrote:You know, the more i look at that weapon data table we use, the more i think there is a typo:

Katana 58
Dagger 55
Kryss 53
Short Spear 50
Quarter Staff 48

Dagger 55
Kryss 53
Short Spear 50
Katana 48
Quarter Staff 48

i dont know specifically but it makes sense because the dagger was the fastest "weapon" it was just so low damage people didnt really use it.

and i remember fencing was used because the kryss was the fastest real weapon in the game also anectdotally.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Edit

I am one of the many who believed the kryss (except for the dagger..) was the fastest weapon in the game (honestly, it makes no sense otherwise especially from a balance issue... why fence with no stam loss and the LS being worse than a hally?)

Here is hoping for a change!

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I believe that the general consensus of those that played dexers at the time as well as all the era anedotcal evidense that can be compiled point to the same thing: Fencing was the fastest melee skill.

When added up, there is only one page that suggests otherwise compared so many others and players memories that point to the other direction.

I think Derrick that this needs to be discussed and eventually corrected to be a true and accurate replication of OSI's T2A.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Kraarug wrote:I believe that the general consensus of those that played dexers at the time as well as all the era anedotcal evidense that can be compiled point to the same thing: Fencing was the fastest melee skill.

When added up, there is only one page that suggests otherwise compared so many others and players memories that point to the other direction.

I think Derrick that this needs to be discussed and eventually corrected to be a true and accurate replication of OSI's T2A.
I'll second that.

Do we really think OSI would give macers stam loss, swords kats & hallys and nothing to fencers? It just makes zero sense to me... from a common sense standpoint.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Kraarug wrote:I think Derrick that this needs to be discussed and eventually corrected to be a true and accurate replication of OSI's T2A.
It was my understanding throughout era that the kryss was the fastest weapon (next to the dagger). It was also my understanding throughout era that dispelling a gate dispelled both sides :P

I can't ride on what I or others remember. I agree that it sure as hell seems like the kryss should be faster.

It's hard to say ok lets change the speed of the kryss though, when we have nothing known to change it to. The only (realistic) era weapon speed/damage table lists the katana as faster. There is another Pre/Early-T2A table, but if you look at the damages, you'll see that something is up with that one, it's clearly pre-Anat bonus.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Faust wrote:Katana was not the same speed as a quarterstaff and defintely not slower than a short spear.
Thats what throws me off, the Katana was quicker than the Qstaff, for sure, i think you would be surpised at the short spear though, its always caught me unawaress just how quick it can be. Go make a toon on test center with 100 fencing/dex and grab a short spear, it eats it up.

It just seems illogical, as has been mentioned many times, macing for sheer blunt force trauma[sorry just watched Rocky Balboa :wink: ], fencing for speed, swords the half way house inbetween.

Could kryss/katanas speed have been mixed up? That would fit Fausts assertion that katana was quicker than short spear & qstaff, while maintaining the dagger/kryss speed advantage that everyone seems to recall? Perhaps more likely a mix up, both one handed blades, both begin with K, both in the 'swords' section. Plausable i would say, no?
?

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Derrick wrote:
Kraarug wrote:I think Derrick that this needs to be discussed and eventually corrected to be a true and accurate replication of OSI's T2A.
It was my understanding throughout era that the kryss was the fastest weapon (next to the dagger). It was also my understanding throughout era that dispelling a gate dispelled both sides :P

I can't ride on what I or others remember. I agree that it sure as hell seems like the kryss should be faster.

It's hard to say ok lets change the speed of the kryss though, when we have nothing known to change it to. The only (realistic) era weapon speed/damage table lists the katana as faster. There is another Pre/Early-T2A table, but if you look at the damages, you'll see that something is up with that one, it's clearly pre-Anat bonus.
I'll work to compile all the sources that state that fencing was the fastest and start to make my case.

You are right though, deciding what to set the Katana to, if our case is accepted that the stratics page was a typo does present a difficult problem to address, however I'm hoping that the case we can present will be strong enough to compel the change and should probably be make a sticky or added in the Wiki notes to explain to those that may question it.

I just find it hard to overpower all the recollections and other pages that clearly place fencing (Daggar and Kryss) as the fastest and none, 0, abolultely nothing in era states the Katana was faster other than one stratics page. It's just too much of a red hering and, not to mention, there's nothing in the UOHC chat about such a major change and we all know those chats were full of complaints! :D

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

The Pre-T2A weapons table that is in the "T2A Guide Book" is vastly superior to our current system imo. It really gives each weapon type some unique characteristics.

IdleBlade

Post by IdleBlade »

Derrick wrote:

Hey Derrick, why can't we use the T2A strategy guide you posted for weapon speeds? That says the dagger is 70 speed, kryss is 53 and katana is 48 (not much slower, but what we all remember as accurate)...

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i also agree. the old weapon table looks much better then the one we currently use. everyone seems to remember fencing being the fastest of the melee skills. the old table reflects this memory. why dont we just go by that weapon table?

it is very likley that the stratics one we currently use could be inaccurate. stratics was a great resource back then, but it was known for not always being totally accurate.