Ultima Online Second Age Client Patch

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
hifi

Ultima Online Second Age Client Patch

Post by hifi »

Hello folks!

For some time, I've worked on "sapatch" to make the official UOSA client 5.0.8 look and behave more like the original T2A era one. This patch modifies client.exe permanently to bring back the old functionality.

Features currently implemented:
  • Status gump has original look (with stat buttons) <- this is more accurate and better aligned than the Razor one and has working Sex display
  • Elf race is not selectable when creating a character
  • Guild button in paperdoll replaced with Chat button
  • Quests button in paperdoll replaced with Journal button
  • Hide party manifest scroll from paperdoll
  • Hide headgear boxes from paperdoll
I take suggestions for stuff that can be removed, changed or added based on the T2A era client that doesn't depend on data that is not included in the 5.0.8 client. I may or may not work on them as my time and interest is limited. Also, if you know x86 assembly and know your way around debuggers, the project is also very open to contributions.

To build your own client.exe from the source and more information how to work on the project: https://github.com/hifi/sapatch

Download latest release
http://hifi.iki.fi/sapatch/sapatch-latest.zip

Finally, a screenshot showing off the paperdoll and status changes:
Last edited by hifi on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Re: Ultima Online Second Age Client Patch

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Love what you've been tinkering with this week. Something else to add to the list - those 4 boxes on the left side of the paperdoll didn't exist until AOS I believe, when jewelry items made a comeback. They definitely didn't exist during T2A.

Keep up the nice work!
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

hifi

Post by hifi »

Removed visible headgear boxes. Now the paperdoll is exactly like the old one it seems. Somehow I completely missed the fact those boxes weren't in the original one. The items aren't drawn but you can still pick them up from the original spots, need to find out how to remove the dragging action too.

EDIT: That was fairly trivial, no invisible dragging anymore.

hifi

Post by hifi »

Hid the lock gump image from stat controls. This is a nice compromise in my opinion.

hecho

Post by hecho »

hifi wrote:Hid the lock gump image from stat controls. This is a nice compromise in my opinion.
It's been too long since seeing that original status bar, nice work!

Can we test out the patch on that website? And will it eventually become integrated with the UOSA client?

hifi

Post by hifi »

hecho wrote:It's been too long since seeing that original status bar, nice work!
Thank you.
hecho wrote:Can we test out the patch on that website? And will it eventually become integrated with the UOSA client?
Yes, and hopefully :)

The latest build was linked on the first post (link to client.zip) so feel free to give it a spin!

Akanigit
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Akanigit »

I tried to take this up awhile back but like most things got swamped with life. I got a few things to work but I have not got back into actually making the gumps that I changed operate correctly. Like the mailbag opening chat etc.

hifi

Post by hifi »

Akanigit wrote:I tried to take this up awhile back but like most things got swamped with life. I got a few things to work but I have not got back into actually making the gumps that I changed operate correctly. Like the mailbag opening chat etc.
If you have anything I can integrate I'd be happy to code wise. I didn't touch the login screen yet as I didn't have any reference and I thought the real T2A login screen was the chest and remaking that would be a royal pain though not impossible. All the image data seems to still be in the muls so reorganizing without data patches should be possible.

Excretious
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Excretious »

Great work so far HIFI! Is there anything that can be done about the incorrect music being played in towns/dungeons/login screen? Theres a thread about it here...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15594

For some reason we cant get a response on this and you seem like the guy to talk to concerning client side issues.

Thanks in advance!

hifi

Post by hifi »

Excretious wrote:Great work so far HIFI! Is there anything that can be done about the incorrect music being played in towns/dungeons/login screen? Theres a thread about it here...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15594

For some reason we cant get a response on this and you seem like the guy to talk to concerning client side issues.

Thanks in advance!
It all depends on many factors. I'm not familiar enough with how the music should be played to do it yet. From what I gather from the thread, the original music was in MIDI and was regional instead of random.

There are a few things that are of factor:
- is the original MIDI code still in the game so it could be enabled?
- are the regional triggers still in the game so it could be done with converted MP3s if MIDI playback was ripped off?

I'll definitely look into this. If all code is still in there that makes the music work like before it could be possibly to re-enable the original behaviour.

hifi

Post by hifi »

Ok, I did some quick testing and these were my conclusions:
  • Menu music is played
  • Location based music is played when you first enter a location
  • After the location based song ends it starts to shuffle
  • Randomly it might not trigger a music change when you move between locations which means the shuffling continues
I ran back and forth at the Trinsic main gate to trigger forest and Trinsic music. At times, it didn't trigger the change, sometimes it did. A random forest music is chosen in the forest and the Trinsic song is selected when entering Trinsic. Sitting at Trinsic for the song to end caused it to shuffle.

I'd like to hear the proper behaviour and how to do it with the MP3s if there's more to it than the bugs I witnessed above.

Excretious
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Excretious »

hifi wrote:Ok, I did some quick testing and these were my conclusions:

[*] Menu music is played
[*] Location based music is played when you first enter a location[/b]

I have to say I am confused on this, I'm almost positive that the login screen music is incorrect and also could not get town specific songs to play upon recalling into town.

I'll do some research on this when I get home. I have had my music turned off for a year now because I would get frusterated at some of the selections that would come up that had nothing to do with the region I was in.

I really hope this thread doesn't get ignored because your doing some great stuff here.....

Akanigit
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Akanigit »

hifi wrote:If you have anything I can integrate I'd be happy to code wise. I didn't touch the login screen yet as I didn't have any reference and I thought the real T2A login screen was the chest and remaking that would be a royal pain though not impossible. All the image data seems to still be in the muls so reorganizing without data patches should be possible.

I can get it all over to you and shoot a pm sometime in the next couple of days. The login screen if I remember correctly was around near the end of 99. Funny enough my solution to that problem was taking the separate art files and placing them on top of the login screen for the UOSA client then importing that single static image back in.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

can u bring back the field spell casting animation? or what about .bark sounds?! I find lots of sounds missing from the old game!!!