Razor PvP vs Second Age PvP

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
brandonsantacruz

Razor PvP vs Second Age PvP

Post by brandonsantacruz »

I'm a fan of era accuracy, so that's why I'm starting this thread. At what point in the Second Age era were there macros for drink potion, use once, toggle equip, use item in hand, target nearest enemy, etc? These macros provide a much faster-paced, combo-oriented PvP, not really what we played back in 1999 or so. I would suggest, for accuracy's sake if nothing else, that Razor be limited or removed from the server. Many people have become good with this style of PvP, but I don't think it can be considered old school UO PvP until these types of macros are removed from the game.

Zim

Re: Razor PvP vs Second Age PvP

Post by Zim »

UO assist had most the features and was legal

cklabyrinth

Post by cklabyrinth »

brandonsantacruz wrote:I would suggest, for accuracy's sake if nothing else, that Razor be limited or removed from the server.
I agree. UOAssist has nothing on Razor. It's nowhere close, the number of extra things you can do with Razor.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Many of the features available in Razor were (and still are I suppose) available in UOAssist. The features that aren't really available are mostly targetting features, and the loop function (which was part of UOA before it became an approved 3rd party program).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

johttenn

Post by johttenn »

Plus with assist all you had to do was record a macro and hold the hotkey down with a battery :)

brandonsantacruz

I guess I was playing before UO Assist's heyday, more towards the beginning of T2A. At that point this stuff may have just been coming on the scene. UO Extreme was my 3rd party app, especially since UOA wanted $$(jerks) and collaborated with OSI(boo).
I found the patch notes from UOA:
http://www.tugsoft.com/UOAssist/OldUpdates.asp

How common was it to use UOA from 98-2000? The notes seem to suggest that it came out in summer 1998 or earlier, since it doesn't list versions before 1.5.

Edit: Also, how does Razor's speed and efficiency compare to the 3rd party programs of the time?

Lajon

Post by Lajon »

Everyone I played with used UOAssist from '98-'00. UOExtreme was less common because it was illegal and some of its 'features' would get you banned.

UOAssist became approved when they removed the 'Loop' feature that repeated macros. At that point, UOALoop came out and made it possible to macro unattended.

eyesdearth

Post by eyesdearth »

brandonsantacruz wrote:I would suggest, for accuracy's sake if nothing else, that Razor be limited or removed from the server.
This is not technically possible, even disregarding that Razor is explicitly required to connect to the server in the first place. It's undetectable even in principle, since it acts exclusively through the client, and not as a packet injector between the client and the server like previous programs have done for more hacklike effects.

OSI/EA couldn't and can't ban most 3rd party programs either, and loudly shouting they're against the rules doesn't prevent anyone from using them.

brandonsantacruz

eyesdearth wrote:OSI/EA couldn't and can't ban most 3rd party programs either, and loudly shouting they're against the rules doesn't prevent anyone from using them.
So you are saying that it isn't feasible to ban razor? How is it that OSI banned UOE if 3rd party apps can't be stopped? I don't think that it will ever happen, but when in T2A was combat as gimmicky as it is now?
I am para'd- I hit F5
I am poisoned- I hit F4
I am damaged- Ctr+S, F3
I need to equip- F1, F2
I need to do Uber combo #3- F7
Who needs a mouse?

jd222

Post by jd222 »

IIRC, OSI didn't ban UOE in the sense that it wasn't possible to use it. You were always able to use it, but if it was obvious that you were speed hacking and using its other features, then that was a bannable offense.

Razor is necessary for you to log in the shard. And UOAssist was very similar to Razor in the sense of PVPing. Razor has more features, but they wouldn't affect PVPing as much.

Prurk

Post by Prurk »

Long as people arent using Play UO or Easy UO I dont care.

Although I know people who are :?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Just as a heads up. I've banned two accounts for using EUO this week, and I've got a couple more I'm keeping an eye on. EUO is strictly forbidden.

dazedman

Post by dazedman »

He sure has... :(

Chriswithatemper
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chriswithatemper »

Just for clarity, Uoassist has nothing on razor.. I find it hard to believe that I paid for that crappy program 3 times. Blegh

Razor seems like the perfect balance between too automated like uoe can be and being interface neutered like Uoass was.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

everythign i use razor for i could do back on osi with uoasist so it feels the same to me
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]