Wilderness Guard Towers

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Re: Wilderness Guard Towers

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

During the notoriety system days, the guards at these posts would guardwhack Dread Lords, I remember coming back from the Chaos shrine, heading down the bloody plains to my house and getting whacked at the desert Crossroads.

I also know the mountain passage in Minoc mines was at one point guarded, but the only evidence I have is a post-T2A screenshot, as seen by the ethereal mount.

Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Bixby Legbone

Post by Bixby Legbone »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:During the notoriety system days, the guards at these posts would guardwhack Dread Lords, I remember coming back from the Chaos shrine, heading down the bloody plains to my house and getting whacked at the desert Crossroads.

I also know the mountain passage in Minoc mines was at one point guarded, but the only evidence I have is a post-T2A screenshot, as seen by the ethereal mount.

This guy Nighthawk on wtfman.com talks about getting the lost lands expansion the month it came out in October of 1998.

On his Friday October 23rd posting Nighthawk comments
If T2A arrives by Saturday, I'll be at one of the enterances out of the guard zones to greet people. If you wanna join me, get in the channel, email or ICQ me tomorrow.
On his Monday October 26 posting Nighthawk comments
I've heard that Justice Zones are huge and really screw ya on the "get your pk to the Lost Lands" idea.
Link http://www.wtfman.com/oldjov/oldnews/octnews.htm

While not definitive, it does support the idea that guards did protect the lost land passageways.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Bixby Legbone wrote:
Boomland Jenkins wrote:During the notoriety system days, the guards at these posts would guardwhack Dread Lords, I remember coming back from the Chaos shrine, heading down the bloody plains to my house and getting whacked at the desert Crossroads.

This guy Nighthawk on wtfman.com talks about getting the lost lands expansion the month it came out in October of 1998.

On his Friday October 23rd posting Nighthawk comments
If T2A arrives by Saturday, I'll be at one of the enterances out of the guard zones to greet people. If you wanna join me, get in the channel, email or ICQ me tomorrow.
On his Monday October 26 posting Nighthawk comments
I've heard that Justice Zones are huge and really screw ya on the "get your pk to the Lost Lands" idea.
Link http://www.wtfman.com/oldjov/oldnews/octnews.htm

While not definitive, it does support the idea that guards did protect the lost land passageways.

From what I remember, the Serpent's Pillar, Trinsic/Delucia passageway, and the Vesper cemetery entrances were not guarded. The others were, even Temple Island. I had done beta test for the Lost Lands, so my memory on some parts of T2A's release are a bit skewed, since not everything I experienced in beta made it to launch.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Bixby Legbone

Post by Bixby Legbone »

Boomland Jenkins wrote: From what I remember, the Serpent's Pillar, Trinsic/Delucia passageway, and the Vesper cemetery entrances were not guarded. The others were, even Temple Island. I had done beta test for the Lost Lands, so my memory on some parts of T2A's release are a bit skewed, since not everything I experienced in beta made it to launch.
I definitely remember seeing a guild of pks cross into the lost lands via the Temple Island passage and I remembered thinking how brave it was for the pks to take that risk because it was guarded and all it would take is for a player to call out for guards. I was a ghost at the time and just following their moongates.

I wish I still had my Ultima Online Play Guide to the 2nd age.. I bet it has some helpful clues in it. I wonder if any staff has a copy? It seems like it could be extremely helpful. https://books.google.com/books?id=CdgTA ... CDAQ6AEwAA

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Bixby Legbone wrote:
Boomland Jenkins wrote: I wish I still had my Ultima Online Play Guide to the 2nd age.. I bet it has some helpful clues in it. I wonder if any staff has a copy? It seems like it could be extremely helpful. https://books.google.com/books?id=CdgTA ... CDAQ6AEwAA
I still own the original Prima guide and T2A "purple book" guide. I'm a big Ultima nerd, I have complete in box NES and SNES games, and my original Ultima Online CD, box, and map as well. The damn pin broke years ago though :(
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Bixby Legbone

Post by Bixby Legbone »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:
Bixby Legbone wrote:
Boomland Jenkins wrote: I wish I still had my Ultima Online Play Guide to the 2nd age.. I bet it has some helpful clues in it. I wonder if any staff has a copy? It seems like it could be extremely helpful. https://books.google.com/books?id=CdgTA ... CDAQ6AEwAA
I still own the original Prima guide and T2A "purple book" guide. I'm a big Ultima nerd, I have complete in box NES and SNES games, and my original Ultima Online CD, box, and map as well. The damn pin broke years ago though :(

I wonder how reliable this Prima guide can be for determining era accuracy. I managed to find a pdf version and am browsing through it. Things of note include the potential to be poisoned or weakened while running through swamps; shrines will heal a ghost fully upon ressurection once per day and can also cure poisoned players; and on page 53 it mentions that ghosts can call guards on players. Page 53 "Ghosts can call guards in town. This can come in handy if you're murdered by a one-shot surprise attack. Ghosts can also ask town criers for news."

Page 54 talks about the instant ressurection option that was a pop-up gump but you would take stat and skill lose of up to 25%. I remember this too, but it isn't here on uosa. There's also displays of three different ostard types; 'ice dragon'; and even krakens too.
Last edited by Bixby Legbone on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Bixby Legbone wrote: I wonder how reliable this Prima guide can be for determining era accuracy. I managed to find a pdf version and am browsing through it. Things of note include the potential to be poisoned or weakened while running through swamps; shrines will heal a ghost fully upon ressurection once per day and can also cure poisoned players; and on page 53 it mentions that ghosts can call guards on players. Page 53 "Ghosts can call guards in town. This can come in handy if you're murdered by a one-shot surprise attack. Ghosts can also ask town criers for news."

Page 54 talks about the instant ressurection option that was a pop-up gump but you would take stat and skill lose of up to 25%. I remember this too, but it isn't here on uosa.
The guide is not 100% reliable. For some of it's contents, they were patched out pretty quick. The instant res option was available here at some point in time (I remember there being an issue with it years ago, maybe 2009?). At some point, OSI added an option to hide the instant res gump and maybe it's ticked by default - not too sure. Ghosts could call guards at one point in time. Swamps had random poison tiles in them - similar to Deceit level 3's poison pit (we use to go there to train healing back in the day)
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Bicchus Dicchus

Post by Bicchus Dicchus »

I miss UO.

Furiocity
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Furiocity »

I'm fairly positive i've killed like 3 krackens on uosa. no joke they spawn. They are like equal to dragons/drakes.
Boondock_Saint wrote:Everyone knows that idiot is a scammer. How do people keep falling for this?
Elk Eater wrote:The only question left to answer is will Vega throw away his keyboard after he pounds it into tiny plastic chips, or eat it?

Bixby Legbone

Post by Bixby Legbone »

Furiocity wrote:I'm fairly positive i've killed like 3 krackens on uosa. no joke they spawn. They are like equal to dragons/drakes.

I actually found a kraken spawn here on UOSA. I was surprised and thought it was a special holiday spawn. It's nothing special other than it can walk on both land and water without problem. Easy to kill and not much loot wise.

Blade Spirit

Post by Blade Spirit »

I bought UO T2A in october 1999.
I should still have it at home. At my parents' home actually.
Maybe I can find it.
Can it help?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

The Minoc mine passage was always guarded throughout T2A. I'm pretty sure there's other threads on this forum (from long ago) where this was discussed but never implemented.

The area just to the west of this entrance has some wildly inaccurate spawn on UOSA. On UO servers this was heavily filled with fast respawning harpies, orcs, ettins, trolls, etc. I spent most my time in 1999 at the "minoc spawn" which was in that area. Regularly I would hug this guard zone to kill off spawn when I was overwhelmed.

Stratics itself lists the T2A entrance as guarded:
http://web.archive.org/web/199910222311 ... t2aent.htm

A usenet post about the guarded entrance:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... 8rFK9RLaMJ
North of Minoc: Within the great circle of mountain there is a cave on the
western leg and a grotto on the northern part. Again on Baja there's a
public forge leftover at the southern tip of the mountain. This area is
much safer since the cave to T2A is guarded.
You can see in this spawn map what the area to the west was spawned with (#37)
http://i.imgur.com/4EGmJrZ.jpg
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I don't think that there's really much contention that most of the entrances to T2A were guarded, which is probably something that we should implement.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org