Wilderness Guard Towers

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
BizzyBeast

Re: Wilderness Guard Towers

Post by BizzyBeast »

Positively guarded, although one by trinsic was bugged. I remember a few of us blade spiriting the 2 guards inside for awhile to see if that had crazy good loot.

SecondAgeRares

Post by SecondAgeRares »

Can this be addressed? It is obviously in era, whether admins/players like it or not.

It is a HUGE game change in terms of PVP. I see so many minor changes in the patch notes that have so little effect on game play, yet large issues like this are ignored. Why?

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

SecondAgeRares wrote:Can this be addressed? It is obviously in era, whether admins/players like it or not.

It is a HUGE game change in terms of PVP. I see so many minor changes in the patch notes that have so little effect on game play, yet large issues like this are ignored. Why?
It's not being ignored - it is being considered.

There is no definite evidence of how wilderness guard towers worked.

As far as the matter goes right now is that the guards would occasionally and sporadically attack reds, yet it was not a guarded zone.

If you want to see your change implemented then go and find some evidence of exactly how the guards in these areas worked during the era.

That is all.

Faust

Post by Faust »

We already know it's era accurate that they were guarded as well as certain t2a etrance locations.

SecondAgeRares

Post by SecondAgeRares »

Yes they were guarded.

A common T2A backwards defense is this.

Check current UO, see that they are guarded, then find notes suggesting that they were changed (from unguarded to guarded).

I only played T2A, so my judgement is not clouded. They always killed me 100% of the time when I was within range.

Maybe there was an issue/bug with luring the guards out of the zone if you were not in it?

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

They weren't guarded.

The guard would just sometimes kill criminals, sometimes not.

Faust

Post by Faust »

No, you are wrong Mens Rea and this has been well established here for quite some time.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... f15b0fb75a

Those of you that played on Santa's Sleigh and the Abyss shard in '98 know all to well about the guard posts being guarded.

Thanks,
Faust

Millerisfuntoplay

Post by Millerisfuntoplay »

so if this were to be changed the URKS stable master would be in guard zone then?

Akanigit
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Akanigit »

I helped run a tavern called the Gathered Spirits on Pacific. It was in Yew next to a guard outpost and I remember them being guarded. Now for the insta hit i'm not to sure, I sort of remember a PK getting whacked but I feel like there was a patch that changed the way outpost guards reacted.

platy

Post by platy »

I'd cast blade spirits off the edge of one near Brit and stand "above" the spirit as i gained resist off it EARLY t2a..
This was fixed quick and deemed an "exploit"..
Not sure if it was guarded, but I casted those spirits FROM the guard tower.. targeted ground (grass) and when it attacked me i walked above it and got poisned, gained resist, walked back and had a friend heal.

caveman

Post by caveman »

Almost positive they were guarded in february '99. I think it's likely they got changed one of the times they changed the town guarded boundaries.

Brules

Post by Brules »

Cool, Derrick can fix this when he patches blessed items to be breakable! Yay! :P

Bixby Legbone

Post by Bixby Legbone »

I know this is an old post, but I saw in another thread an indication that these guard posts should be made guard-zoned.
Derrick wrote:
"Faust" wrote: Did this patch include the region fixes for guards being active in guard towers/specific t2a entrances Derrick? [/qoute]

It doesn't. I wanted to get it in but didn't get to it; that's why I labeled the patch as 126a; b should be coming soon.

Link Here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15591

If possible, can someone pick this era accuracy back up and put it in place if it should be in place?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

If memory serves correctly, this wasn't patched in because we couldn't find definitive evidence that these guard towers were indeed guarded during T2A. My own experience suggests that they weren't guarded at all (no message of walking into a guard zone), and I believe a cross verification on live OSI servers at the time did not give the same message.

If the single source that we've got from the newsgroups in this thread is any indication, we have a single player claiming that at one time it was possible to run to the guarded towers and get protection, while several others are pointing out that while actual guards (not the O/C guards we have, which needs to be changed) exist at the towers, they won't react to any call for assistance.

Ultimately, I'll try to get the full world demo (or UO98) working. If I can do so, I'll try to test out whether the areas are guarded or not by teleporting to the areas and checking for the messages. If they don't exist on the demo, and don't exist on live servers, that serves as a lot of strong evidence against the towers being guarded.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Bixby Legbone

Post by Bixby Legbone »

Kaivan wrote:If memory serves correctly, this wasn't patched in because we couldn't find definitive evidence that these guard towers were indeed guarded during T2A. My own experience suggests that they weren't guarded at all (no message of walking into a guard zone), and I believe a cross verification on live OSI servers at the time did not give the same message.

If the single source that we've got from the newsgroups in this thread is any indication, we have a single player claiming that at one time it was possible to run to the guarded towers and get protection, while several others are pointing out that while actual guards (not the O/C guards we have, which needs to be changed) exist at the towers, they won't react to any call for assistance.

Ultimately, I'll try to get the full world demo (or UO98) working. If I can do so, I'll try to test out whether the areas are guarded or not by teleporting to the areas and checking for the messages. If they don't exist on the demo, and don't exist on live servers, that serves as a lot of strong evidence against the towers being guarded.

Thank you very much for your quick response. I hope to hear back if you are successful in getting that version of UO up.