The....How to play UO on Linux Thread

set

Re: The....How to play UO on Linux Thread

Post by set »

Still doesn't work. For now I'll be content to play without music. Thanks though.

BamBam
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BamBam »

I got this to work on Ubuntu 10.10 using wintricks/.net 2.0, the latest razor, and the uo client downloaded off uosecondage.com. I was stuck at verifying account until I finally downloaded the latest razor and not the 1.0.0 one. Took me like an hour to figure that out. So simple!

Stuck
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Stuck »

Kabup wrote:One more problem, if there's someone to help me... Why can't I set a hotkey in Razor with Ctrl? Example - If I set Ctrl+M to start Animal Taming, it shots the skill with M only, it doesn't matter if I press Ctrl or not. It works the same way to Alt and Shift. Someone knows why?
This no ctrl/alt/shift hotkeys thing is really bugging me. Has anyone found a fix?

Other than that everything works great.

edit: After some research, it appears any applications using the dotnet framework as a runtime have trouble with multiple keypresses in wine. I'm not sure, I've heard rumors you can solve it by doing `winecfg` and changing the "Pass control from the window manager" option, which in itself is buggy.

More info: I've heard it's possible to avoid a lot of bugs on linux with various games by running wine in its own xsession. I couldn't seem to make it work. I think theres a problem with the hacky way Razor boots up and then injects itself into the uo client. It doesn't boot up like any normal game would. Also, unchecking the "allow the window manager to control windows" option seems to make the client crash right before the login screen. (This is all using debian squeeze).

If anyone can get these things to work, you should post here. ;)

Good post for reference: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=497332 (largely only applies to debian/ubuntu/etc users in some cases).

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

Thanks guys, I got it up and running easily due to your tips.

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

Well... first I had it running ok.

Then it was slow as hell. So I tweaked my swappiness and the next time I logged in it was great, lightning fast, 110% playable. The next time I logged in, having changed nothing, it was slow as hell again. Anyone got ideas on what I might do to get it running quickly again? What the heck happened anyway?!?

As it is, with this slowness, all I can do is refresh my houses and boats, but I WANT TO PLAY.

Help!

using winetricks
wine 1.4
the latest razor from the razor website
our UOSA installer for the client

swappiness tweaked from the default of 60 to 10 (ubuntu 11.10)
Unity 2d

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

Well, upgraded my RAM a bit and that didn't work either... so I switched to 565(I think) colour mode and that did the trick! Cursor looks like shit but runs fast.

Sadly, in reinstalling things, the .net 2.0 doesn't seem to be present on microsoft's page anymore. winetricks couldn't retrieve it so I went there by browser, it's gone.

Causa Mortis

Post by Causa Mortis »

Wonko the Sane wrote:Well, upgraded my RAM a bit and that didn't work either... so I switched to 565(I think) colour mode and that did the trick! Cursor looks like shit but runs fast.

Sadly, in reinstalling things, the .net 2.0 doesn't seem to be present on microsoft's page anymore. winetricks couldn't retrieve it so I went there by browser, it's gone.
If the file is called dotnetfix, witch I'm pretty sure it is, I happen to have like 3 copies of it if you would like.

My IRC name is Tater if you want to get a hold of me.
IRC = Tater
[url=irc://irc.wildirc.net:6667/new]#new[/url] <--- new player assistance IRC channel

Anymore

Post by Anymore »

Hi guis, i'm italian player, i'v got a problem whit connetct razor on the server.
I use linux mint to play, i'v install:
1) Wine
2) Winetricks
3) Cabextract

But when i play razor, set username and password and press enter key, the windows of client crashing :\
If i log in, whitout Razor, the client performance is perfect :| wtf?
I try to play, i'v install to terminal " PlayOnLinux" but nothing, i'v got the same one problem :| help me pls -.- i'm a fucking newbie of linux

montier

Post by montier »

Are you using 64 bit version of Mint?

if so you will need to create a 32 bit prefix.

Follow these instructions, they work pretty good.
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Linux

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

Bump and a quick and dirty guide for UO on debian based systems:

==If you haven't already, do this:

sudo apt-get install wine winetricks cabextract

== Preparing Wine on 64 bit systems for Razor. Run the following command:

WINEARCH=win32 wine notepad</code>

After you have a nice notepad running, you can close it and continue to next topic. That's all there is to it. If you fail to do this .NET 2.0 will not install and you won't be able to run Razor.

== Preparing Wine for Razor. Run the following command:

winetricks dotnet20

=== Fixing Razor text display. Run the following command:
winetricks gdiplus

== Razor title bar counters ==
By default, Wine does not draw the window borders itself and lets the window manager decide the style and shape of window borders, including title bar. This prevents Razor from drawing the counters in the game title bar.

To make Wine draw its own window borders, run winecfg in your Terminal Emulator or search for Configure Wine in your Applications Menu. Select the Graphics tab and untick "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows".

== Installing Ultima Online ==

At this point, you should be able to just double click ''UOSA_Client_Setup.exe'' to install the game and all third party tools. Everything should work without major issues.

If double clicking will just open the setup file in an archiver, right click on it and select Wine.

Anymore

Post by Anymore »

Remember guys if you have two different profile in wine ( first in 64bit and second in 32bit ) and you install razor in x64 profile will not gonna work, just install again in wine32 and run the correct profile.

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine C:\\Program\ Files/\Razor\\Razor.exe