PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac Installation Script for UO Second Age

Mewmew!

PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac Installation Script for UO Second Age

Post by Mewmew! »

Mac support disclaimer: I don't own a Mac, and I'm never going to buy a Mac. I *assume* this will work on PlayOnMac just as well as it works on PlayOnLinux because they're basically the same thing. If someone tests it, please post your results.

--

For those Linux and Mac users who have trouble installing UOSA, I thought I'd write up an installation script for PlayOnLinux. PlayOnLinux is a graphical front-end for Wine, which is the base software used for all non-virtual Windows compatibility in Linux. POL uses the standard Wine binaries and automatically handles prefixes. A prefix is sort of a mini-install of Wine for each Windows application you want to use. A prefix can be deleted without affecting other prefixes, and each prefix can use its own wine version and wine settings. POL also supports the use of semi-automated install scripts, which is what this is.

I consider this script to be in beta. Its good enough to use, but it won't give you perfect wine tweaks yet, because I don't know what tweaks it actually needs for UOSA. I'm hoping to find that out here. When I am made aware of new suggestions/fixes/etc, I'll update the script to reflect the changes.

Now, what this script does:
1. It uses the installer available here on uosecondage.com to allow you to install Razor, UO, UOAM, and Ventrilo (if you must have ventrilo).
2. It will use a local installer you have, or it will automatically download one for you, whichever you choose.
3. It automagically installs all the things that UO needs to run under POL.
4. It saves you a little time.

What this script does not do:
1. Allow you to install razor and the other components separately, instead of using the uosecondage.com installer (I'll do this in a future version if someone really wants it).

Again, this is a basic installer without the perfect tweaks it could use to be 100% effective. It'll work fine for most people though.

--

How To Use (instructions based on PlayOnLinux v4.1.1. Earlier versions may differ):
First, download my script. Then you'll need to install PlayOnLinux (or PlayOnMac if you're a Mac user). This can be downloaded from http://www.playonlinux.com, or from your distro repositories.

Code: Select all

apt-get install playonlinux
for debian-based distros, slackbuilds.org for Slackware users, and I'm not sure about anyone else. The program is written in Python, so if all else fails, you can run it from the official site download itself.
When the POL window opens, you'll see a white field that may or may not have menu entries; a line of symbols that say RUN INSTALL REMOVE CONFIGURE SHORTCUT. And above those, a line of smaller options, beginning with File. From that list, select Tools, and in the menu that appears there, select Run A Local Script.
This will open a prompt. Hit next, and you'll see a browse box. Select the script, and hit next.
Now, a warning will appear, saying that the signature is invalid. This is okay, it only means that this is not an official PlayOnLinux script (they won't accept a script for UOSA for approval, unfortunately). Just hit next.
Now you're seeing a box that has the source code of the script. Read it if you want, then check I Agree, and hit next.

Now the installer will start. read the contents of this box, hit next, and read the contents of this one, and hit next again.
Then you'll have the option of using a local setup file, or downloading automatically. If you've already downloaded UOSA_Setup.exe, choose Use a Setup File. Otherwise, the installer will automatically download a copy for you.

After this, it'll install some required software (.NET framework, wine if necessary, etc). Just let it sit, it might take a few minutes. When the Next box makes itself available, hit it.

Once the UOSA setup begins, just start installing like you would a normal Windows program. When it gives you the option of selecting which programs you want to install, I recommend against choosing UO Automap 8.3, or Ventrilo. 9 is a superior UOAM version, and Ventrilo has a Linux native alternative (see below). However, you are free to select them both if you want. Please do not change any of the default directories - they are referenced in the script and it will negatively affect your installation if you use a non-default install directory.

After the installation successfully completes, you should be good to go!

--

NOTES:
1. Razor will likely crash the very first time you run it after its updates. After that it'll work fine.
2. I recommend against installing Ventrilo because there are Linux native alternatives available (such as Mangler).
3. UOAM may be twitchy to use for some people. I'll need more info on the cause before I can add a fix to the script.
4. If you're a Mac user and you try my script, please let me know how it works for you.
5. One more time, this is a bare-bones beta script. Don't expect miracles from me (yet!).
6. I tried to upload it as an attachment but it wouldn't let me. If a mod would care to attach it for me, I'd be grateful.

Enjoy!

v0.1c - http://www.mediafire.com/?nvj9ja4x9lcazmd
Last edited by Mewmew! on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac Installation Script for UO Second

Post by Hemperor »

This script gives a broken english error when running on 3.8.8 of PlayOnLinux. This is the latest available in the Debian/Ubuntu/Mint repos, so rather than install through apt-get you should install the latest from here: http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html

After running on 4.1, it downloaded UOSA, installed Wine and some other things...I had it minimised. At one point is said "Error: File not found!" and after clicking OK on it, it just said the install was complete...However, there was no entry in PlayOnLinux.

This is my first time using POL... I did some searching around, in my tmp folder in /home/.PlayOnLinux/ there is no UOSA_ClientSetup.exe, although I would imagine this would have been cleaned up either way, I saw the entire file downloaded and after looking over your script I can't seem to find the issue... I'll try again later and check while it's downloading where it is going.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Mewmew!

Post by Mewmew! »

Problem was a typo. I left an underscore out of one of the variables by mistake. Uploading a corrected copy now.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Mewmew! wrote:Problem was a typo. I left an underscore out of one of the variables by mistake. Uploading a corrected copy now.
Doh, I even opened the script specifically lookin for a typo... Few beers had me overlooked.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Yiyo

Post by Yiyo »

Hey Mewmew, thanks a lot for the script. I have tested it in MacOS snow leopard and the installation went smoothly, so far the game is running well too. I followed the instructions here so I guess the guide is totally valid for Mac as well as Linux. Let's see if more Mac users give it a try.

Clx
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Clx »

Thank you very much for this. Works perfectly on Linux Mint.

Hashashin

Post by Hashashin »

This is my first post. Yay- k.

So, I have done your steps here and it has been working great for the past ten days or so. Well, that is until now. I am having Razor issues it seems. I wont get into that as this post is meant to be for the author.

Anyways, thank you so much for making this a reality.

Hashashin

Post by Hashashin »

Hashashin wrote:This is my first post. Yay- k.

So, I have done your steps here and it has been working great for the past ten days or so. Well, that is until now. I am having Razor issues it seems. I wont get into that as this post is meant to be for the author.

Anyways, thank you so much for making this a reality.
:idea:

I just uninstalled all of the setup.exe files via PoM and reinstalled them with your script a second time. Everything seems to be 100%.

faber

Post by faber »

I'm a newer Linux user, and I have a Ubuntu loaded on my machine. On the downloads page, it has a list of various versions listed, and I'm not sure which one to pick. Does it matter? Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind. Everything is going smoothly. I figured it out.

Return to “Linux/Mac Support”