Animal Taming guide

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Animal Taming guide

Post by Mikel123 »

The Animal Taming guide is out of date; here is a condensed version of the way taming currently works on our shard.

Things to remember:
- I would STRONGLY recommend starting a new character with 50 Animal Taming. Buying up to 30 or 35 skill from an NPC leaves a long way to 50 skill.
- like all skills, if you have a 100% chance of success, you have a 0% chance to gain skill. So don't tame dogs for skill gain at 75.7 skill
- if someone has tamed and released an animal or monster, you will have a 100% chance to tame it (assuming you have the minimum taming skill to be able to attempt it). See item above for your chances of gaining skill on such an animal or monster.

Guide:
0-30: buy from NPC
30-40: tame random animals around Britain or Moonglow (Moonglow has an abundance of timber wolves which are great for this skill range)
40-71: go to Ice Island (also known as Dagger Island) and tame everything you can see. Also may want to try this strategy: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 78&start=0 I used a variant of this by dropping a 7x7 on ice island and setting a character inside, behind a wall of locked down tables. With another character, I aggroed as many animals as I could and led them into the house. Then I typically died and ran off to resurrect at the ankh while my other character tamed behind the wall of tables. You can also drag an orc lord in as well to kill the tames (he will attack them once you successfully tame them and turn them blue).
71.1-77: bulls in Delucia
77.1-84.9: giant toads in T2A. Bring some Teleport reagents with you, and you can take advantage of all the cliffs and hills throughout T2A to stay out of range of the toads, but they will stay right next to the cliff you're on so they're within range of your taming skill. Also worthwhile to mark some runes or note in UOAM if you see some nightmares. Once you hit GM taming, you'll want to know where they tend to spawn!
85-100: hell hound macro. Set up a wall of boxes in the hell hound room in Hythloth (you can get there via pretty much any common rune library). Set up a healer in the corner of the room, and your tamer diagonally in front of him. Then surround your tamer with boxes. Your tamer should be positioned so he is closer to every spot outside the box wall; that way, the hell hounds will always target him and never the healer, and the healer can simply macro healing the tamer (hell hound firebreath is the only thing that will damage him behind the boxes). Set up a Razor macro to tame by type (hell hound) on a loop. Whenever you succeed in taming one, it will turn blue and immediately be attacked by the other hell hounds nearby. Expect to be griefed here by people removing your boxes while you macro, PKs, etc. You can also do this in the fire dungeon, which may be less prone to PKs and griefers, since it's less heavily trafficked.

Other, non-skill-gain-related things to note about taming:
- drakes, despite being inferior to dragons in every way (except Dexterity and speed), do indeed require a higher taming skill to tame
- frenzied ostards have the highest dexterity and stamina of any mount in the game (and thus, can run the farthest before becoming fatigued). Yes, farther than a nightmare.
- white wyrms will occasionally cast Mass Curse, which will Curse any one in their immediate range. This is very bad, as it will likely hit you and every other pet you're controlling, causing each of you to auto-defend and start attacking it. Chaos will ensue. Be aware of this and be prepared with an "all stop" or "all stay" macro, or the invisibility spell, or the ability to gate one or more dragons away to a safe place (NOT in town!).
- firebreathers attack murderers on sight. Don't be red with a pet dragon, and don't take him anywhere near your red friends.

Hans
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Animal Taming guide

Post by Hans »

Thanks! This was just the information I was looking for!

Krats

Post by Krats »

Thanks!
Added to Compilation
When you play with fire, there is a 50/50 chance something will go wrong, and nine times out of ten it does.
Teph wrote:chum stole a castle, a f**in castle.
Derrick wrote:I hate to see this go unanswered, so I can at least say that I read this, and have no idea myself.

moradin

Post by moradin »

Common Templates:
Mage Tamer 100 Str 100 Int 25 Dex
100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Resist Spells
100 Taming
100 Animal Lore
100 Vet
100 Eval Int

Bard Tamer 100 Str 100 Int 25 Dex

100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Music
100 Taming
100 Animal Lore
100 Vet
100 Peacemaking
** This is a very flexible template as you can drop Vet and use magery or instead of peacemaking use Provocation.

Dex Tamer 100 Str 25 Int 100 Dex

100 Swords/Bows/Fencing/Mace
100 Tactics
100 Healing
100 Anatomy
100 Vet
100 Animal Taming
100 Animal Lore
** It will be tough to get around without recall or gate travel in this type of template

A few important notes:

1. Do not bother with trying to tame pre-tamed creatures. It doesnt work how OSI shards did. You will not get any gains.
2. Change the name of your tames before you release them so the next tamer knows not to try taming.
3. If possible kill your fresh tame or send it to attack Monster Spawn so that the tame will die and new Tameables will spawn for your next round or other tamers.
4. Don't forget that now you can use crates to block pathways and keep dragons and other nasty tames away from you while taming(wont stop magic or projectiles). (Could use some more info here as I know not all items work for blocking.)
5. You need animal lore as well. Its easiest to just macro away at the bank with your own tame beside you. (Can somone verify if you can gm this way?)

Hans
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hans »

moradin wrote:Mage Tamer 100 Str 100 Int 25 Dex
100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Resist Spells
100 Taming
100 Animal Lore
100 Vet
100 Eval Int
Is Vet really necessary? My tamer/mage has zero vet (keep in mind my taming is only at 35 real), and I just use Greater Heal. Does vet help any when casting heal spells? Or is it just for bandage-healing?
moradin wrote:5. You need animal lore as well. Its easiest to just macro away at the bank with your own tame beside you. (Can somone verify if you can gm this way?)
I GM'd Animal Lore in my house, just after buying taming up to 30-ish from an NPC. I attacked a polar bear, let him chase me into my house, then I hid. Then started the macro, which got me from 0 to GM.

moradin

Post by moradin »

I guess that is a matter of preference... But if you farm with your tamer its much easier to use vet so you have mana to recall and get away from pks. Farming dragons you definitely need vetinary

Pro

Post by Pro »

Just to add a great way of taming on ice/dagger island is using a boat.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Vet is definitely not a necessity. If you stick to killing things like liches and maybe even lich lords, you could do OK with just Greater Heal. But, if you want to tackle Blood Elementals, Balrons, Ancient Wyrms, or other dragons/wyrms, you'll really want to have vet. You can survive against anything with just magery, but the cost of reagents begins to add up. Ancient Wyrms might be tough to kill with one or two dragons and no vet. But casting GH over and over will sap your mana, and you may have to slow your hunting in order to regen mana.

Usual_Suspect

Post by Usual_Suspect »

Does anatomy give a bonus to veterinary?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

No, Animal Lore does though... Anatomy:Healing::Animal Lore:Vet

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Here is a challenge.

Create a template that would be an animal spirit i.e. a timber wolf, a polar bear etc. and name the character after that animal. Only have enough taming to tame the totem animal and have that character run with a pack of that said animal polymorphed as that type.

Who has some good template ideas for this?

The tamer mage would be a good choice of course, but if you could lower taming and lore you could utilize more skill points. Besides the tamer mage what else can you come up with?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Gicod

Post by Gicod »

Ive been considering re-creating my Sonoma tamer/bard over here but I must admit, my tamer there was a UO:R era creation so I have a couple questions to its T2A viability.

On Sonoma I was 7x. Taming, Lore, Magery, Med, Vet, Music, Provo. I know, yes, no wrestle or resist = bad, but staying mobile and using my Gheal and invis spells saved me 99.9% of the time. However, again, going merely on post T2A taming experience, but even with the control slot limitations of only being able to run 1 dragon on OSI shards in latter years, this guy was a farming machine. I could run Destard for hours and never get overwhelmed by spawn. I never struggled with people using spawn luring attempts to get my pet killed. The combo of the well trained dragon and provo was like an 'I win' button in mostly all PvM situations.

One huge difference between there and here is the PK factor. Sure, I could run Trammy Destard all I wanted, but, what are the odds of a solo tamer frolicking happily in Destard here....prolly not real good. No real combat skills, no eval so my spells are mostly useless for combat, pretty much if the pet and provo dont work (and my past experiences using pets in PvP for Factions and such could best be described as ineffective at best) yer a dead man. Of course, it generally dont matter what character type Im playing, generally red=dead for me anyhow...lol

My question is, is this even a template worthwhile pursuing in this era or no?

Oh, and when it comes to vet...absolutely necessary if you ever intend to hunt big game, which you obviously plan to do...no one takes their time taming 63 million useless critters to build a tamer to kill orcs. I started out on my tamer with eval in place of vet and its really no serious comparison between magery and vet, vet all the way.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Provocation and Music are a waste. If you're hell-bent on having a bard, go with Peacemaking instead of Provoke.

But really, dragons can handle anything, if you have decent Vet. I forget whether you could have 2 dragons in UO:R or just 1 and a nightmare with those control slots, but here there's no limit. I always go out with 2 dragons and have no problem taking anything down. Ancient Wyrms are annoying, and it helps to be able to cast Cure since for some reason on our shard they have poison claws (?!?!), but still... 2 dragons are all you need.

I would insist on Wrestling. Makes it so much easier to escape PKs. Resist is helpful, but not necessary. If you don't have the cash to train it up, you can sub in Hiding or something.

A while back, I made a post about surviving PK attacks with a Tamer. It should still be applicable if you find it and read through it.

And in answer to your other question... yes it is well worthwhile to make a tamer here. Probably the most profitable template, though Provoking bards probably make more in the near-term (like, the first 6 months) since tamers take so long to make and provokers are ready after 3 days of macroing and can make a real solid rate.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Since I just found this again, I'll add that pre-tamed pets will attack any red or monster on sight.

So if you tame a grizzly bear, then release it, and a mongbat walks by, it will attack the mongbat. If a red player walks by next, it will attack the red as well.

saltyclappers

Post by saltyclappers »

When you are doing the hell hounds... do they not smash the boxes? Are you supposed to stack them so that if one gets smashed there is another one?
<Bongy> runnin around on mares actin like yall dont die the only reason crew can run like that is the real pvpers allow it

Image ...I win!