Guide: Role Playing 101

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Kasimir

Guide: Role Playing 101

Post by Kasimir »

This is my extensive look into role playing. since I have had many requests for such a thing as this, here you all are. Hopefully, this will inspire some of you to pick up role playing as it is the basis of what MMORPG's represent - worlds that you can be someone else. This is a lot to cover and I know we don't like to read (especially me) so I'll summarize as best as I can.

ROLE PLAYING 101

Introduction

The key to role playing is that you have to be dedicated. You're literally "living" that character and as such, you need to act it. Don't get me wrong, you don't "have" to do anything a certain way, but true role players aren't half-way. For example, you cannot meet Johnny Loften and then forget about him in a couple days. Another key thing to remember when role playing is "details". Coughing, turning your head to look at something, facial expressions, all help the person(s) that you're role playing with better interact with you for a richer role play experience. The beauty of role playing is that you can role play anything you like. You can be a knight of chivalry, a silent fisherman (booooring), a long lost prince of a far-off kingdom, or an extremely rude and grotesque serial killer. All characters can be role played and no true role player will ever criticize you for your character's story, only for your quality of role play (i.e. spelling errors, lack of emotes, and ooc talk).

Why Role Play?

You are playing a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, so why not actually role play? First, role playing is not for everyone like fighting is not for some people; it is a challenging and compromising commitment if taken seriously, but is ultimately rewarding if you enjoy it. I would recommend giving it a shot, but don't hate on those who enjoy it.

A Quick History of Role Playing (for those interested)

Role playing originates from H. G. Wells and his "War Games" of the early 20th century which continued even to the 60s and 70s when those who weren't high on LSD and listening to Bob Dylan were playing War Games. War Games ultimately lead to the world renowned Dungeons & Dragons board game which set the stage for numerous other replications including MMORPGs.

Basics

Interaction
Role Playing occurs between either a player and himself (or herself) or between a player and one or more other players. In UO, Interaction can occur in the form of emotions denoted by the * sign (colon+enter in-game) or by speaking. Emotions are used to represent facial expressions, body gestures, or any other actions besides speech. For example, "looks over at the sword in Kylock's hand". Speech is the form of direct verbal communication with another player and can either be formal or informal, depending on preference (in UO, most role playing speak very formally, almost old-English with "thou"s and "thy"s).

Common Sense - Common Errors of UO Role Playing
*Without that person telling you, YOU DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM UNLESS IT IS APPEARANCE-WISE (such as name, guild, skills, or shoe size) or unless someone else points them out and tells you.
*If someone emotes a thought, your character doesn't know that.
*You're basically clueless unless you find it out in-character.
*Do not make a character that is GM in all crafting skills (most real people aren't master tailors, smiths, carpenters, fletchers, tinkers)

Your Character
A good idea for a role player is to write a simple description of their character outlining the character's appearance, attitude, a brief history that explains who he is now and where he came from, his goals, his skills, and any other defining information. This is to help you have basic method to your role play so you're not completely making stuff up as you go - lost.

Role Playing Rules for UO
UO is a unique environment in which to role play because of the versatility and freedom offered, but one should be cautious of certain things. For example, a major problem is the issue of death, both in the UO and RP sense. If you are killed in UO, role playing demands that your character is dead. This, however, is not something the player side of us all wants to hear because that would involve deleting our characters. A simple role playing answer to this problem is the "K.O." or injury. When dying in-game, simply role play like you were knocked out or injured badly, but recovered. This saves you from having to remake a character 100 times a day. It is also common RP courtesy to respect this rule. If a person wants their character to die, then they will inform the community OOC (Out of character) and arrange it.
However, what about those people role playing murderers? Well, that is a problem because sometimes they may do this "Stabs Michael through the heart" which cannot be role played out of (*laughs*). However, my advice to you in this case is to role play the resurrection spell, but not abuse it as it really diminishes the severity of death.

Common Courtesy
Courteous role players are the most respected, even the murderers. The greatest tool for role play is IRC because it allows you to discuss your role playing ooc so that you can collaborate with the person you're role playing with. Collaboration is key because you can discuss what the other person will allow, such as attacking them. If you wish to role play an attack, most role players will be "okay" with this as long as you're respectful about it (even if your character, in-game, is being completely disrespectful). This is common courtesy where players respect each others' character style. So basically, discuss most dire actions with the person you're role playing with. You can also use the in-game party system to discuss if you do not have IRC.

(If I think of anything else, I will edit this guide)

Ebolter

Re: Guide: Role Playing 101

Post by Ebolter »

I still have a group of 5 friends that play D&D weekly, also we play Axis & Allies, Battlemasters and some old Avalon games on a regular basis :)

TripleA is fun for A&A players that like computer based A&A.

Sorry if I got off topic but you said D&D , and even though A&A and BM are not true RP games, sometimes you find yourself trying to "play" the actual Superpower. /Dork.Over

Kasimir

Post by Kasimir »

ohh definitely not off topic. I actually went to a park in northern Missouri on day and I found myself in the middle of WoW LARP (Live Action Role Playing). I think role play is fine in a game, but not like that, lol. They were screaming numbers and....ohh, it was a sight to behold.

brandonsantacruz

Post by brandonsantacruz »

Kasimir wrote:ohh definitely not off topic. I actually went to a park in northern Missouri on day and I found myself in the middle of WoW LARP (Live Action Role Playing). I think role play is fine in a game, but not like that, lol. They were screaming numbers and....ohh, it was a sight to behold.
I disagree, I did LARPing for a while and it was just about the only worth-while RP experience I've had. For one thing, there's no typing required, so things can happen real-time. Also, with a GM/Storyteller, someone is there setting up the scene and acting as a referee/NPC(s). Detailed character backgrounds are key, which any good RPing game should include.
I've done mostly role-playing but have dabbled with storytelling and that has been my experience.

Kasimir

Post by Kasimir »

Bah, you don't seem to understand. They were stopping it every five mines because someone whacked someone too hard with his foam sword of ruin. Then it continued, but at that everyone had forgotten their position and people started arguing about "No I casted first and you were out of hit points". blah blah

brandonsantacruz

Sounds like they might have been playing Mage: The Ascension. Very poorly designed magic system, but it was creative. LARP rules prohibit actually hitting someone, so I don't know what their deal was.

Kasimir

Post by Kasimir »

LARP newbs, my guess. But I'm pretty sure it was WoW cus of the migdet dressed up like a gnome and the common spells I heard.

brandonsantacruz

my bad, thought you were talking about a WoD(World of Darkness) larp, like Vampire. WoW's success is hurting it's image if they even made an RPG out of it. It's like they said, "hey, grinding is fun, but lets get computers and graphics out of the equation and I want to make my own die rolls. Plus I want to run around like an idiot." Might as well do D&D as a larp.

Return to “Guides”