How to semi-afk 85-GM taming

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: How to semi-afk 85-GM taming

Post by nightshark »

randale wrote:Or, maybe I don't have to, they automatically spawn in that room (so you'll be hidden when it happens?) unless they spawn in the rabbit room, so they first aggro on the rabbit and you then place the boxes, correct?
Yeah, they occasionally spawn in the south room. A better option if you have a free client is to leave a player logged in there. Even if someone comes to grief you, they'll think twice before taking a murder count on characters standing around holding nothing. Generally I would tame everything, kill off the spawn, run to the southeast corner of the south room and afk until respawn. By the time I got back the HHs would already be in the SE corner of the north room, ready to tame.

I used a method similar to Rose's after 95 taming as the method described here starts to become very manual. At about 98 I moved to Ice Dungeon and manually finished as the HH respawn time just became painful.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

randale

Post by randale »

nightshark wrote:
randale wrote:Or, maybe I don't have to, they automatically spawn in that room (so you'll be hidden when it happens?) unless they spawn in the rabbit room, so they first aggro on the rabbit and you then place the boxes, correct?
Yeah, they occasionally spawn in the south room. A better option if you have a free client is to leave a player logged in there. Even if someone comes to grief you, they'll think twice before taking a murder count on characters standing around holding nothing. Generally I would tame everything, kill off the spawn, run to the southeast corner of the south room and afk until respawn. By the time I got back the HHs would already be in the SE corner of the north room, ready to tame.

I used a method similar to Rose's after 95 taming as the method described here starts to become very manual. At about 98 I moved to Ice Dungeon and manually finished as the HH respawn time just became painful.
I'm wondering also where's the best place to tame dragons once I GM. I've heard people say Destard, that seems like the worst to me. Sure, it has lots of dragons, and that's part of the problem (getting killed with a firebreath, them hitting you) but also Pkers. What about the place in Wind where only one drake and one Dragon spawns? Kill the drake, then wear down the dragon with EV's, until it's firebreath only does like 5 damage, and you can tame it?

Another thing is the stables are always full. I could keep some dragons in my tower, locked down behind some chests.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

easiest to tame in destard, lure it to the cliff and you can tame it but it can't target you with firebreath
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

double post*
Last edited by Halbu on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

nightshark wrote:easiest to tame in destard, lure it to the cliff and you can tame it but it can't target you with firebreath
lol I didn't know this, but then again I've never played a tamer.

randale

Post by randale »

After now Gm-ing taming, after an 8 hour overnight macroing binge last weekend, which brought me from about 96/95.4, to 99.4, then a couple hours more on a different day to gm, I now have a few things to add.

I haven't actually tried taming white wyrms, I went to go do it and something there told me it would be faster to tame hell hounds, because as I've said, 5 (or 4) of them spawn at a time and the white wyrm, even though you will not get any wasted "you seem to anger the beast" messages will spawn slower after being tamed.

Anyway, there are a few things I wanted to add about taming the hell hounds. I had the hiding skill, which could be very useful, but I'm sure if it is completely necessary. In between hell hound group spawns, I suppose you could walk about the door on the east well and find some place to chill/veg until the respawn happens, and they'll re-agro on the rabbit.

Actually for most of my taming, I didn't actually use a rabbit, and here's the reason............I never actually had a hell hound spawn in the south room, but I would sometimes I have a hell hound/hounds spawn near the archway between the two rooms. Either spawn, or take a few steps before they aggro on the creature, if this happens, they will walk through the archway and kill it. For this reason, I used another toon who could stay there. If they happened to aggro on that toon and go through the archway, then it would require a little manuevering and leading to get them back with the other hell hounds into the north room (I would sometimes pre-cast teleport, so once I lead it out, rather than run back through the hell hounds, I could teleport to near the archway, walk through, then they still be aggro'd on me but they'd go into the corner, where they'd be aggro'd on me but do me no harm.)

The advantages of this are, you have another toon there to res your other toon if he died. The disadvantage is that you are subject to pkers, etc if they decide to swarm the room. I realized this actually wasn't necessary, what I should have done, is blocked the archway with a long table or two so that the hell hound couldn't go through it to the rabbit/cat/whatever. I'd put it actually in the north room in front of the archway. This would be safer than subjecting my other toon as the bait and subjecting him to pkers

As far as putting boxes there to trap the hell hounds so they can't retreat while being attacked, well that's not a big problem when you just barely enough to tame them, you'll only tame one and the others will aggro on it and tear it to pieces. I think actually that gargoyles and giant serpents are helpful, not harmful to have in that corner with the hell hounds. As you get a higher taming skill, you will have more than one tamed at the same time. They will aggro on each other, but if you have other mobs there to kill them, possibly before they can retreat then that will be better. I find that 2 gargoyles and 3 giant serpents would be ideal, that's enough to kill the hell hounds without taking much damage themselves, so you won't actually have to heal them and go criminal (I went criminal once and was killed by a blue because of it)

Jeremy Wade

Post by Jeremy Wade »

Can anyone tell me how long/how many hours it would take from 87.4-95.1 with this method?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I GMed my taming a while ago, and didn't particularly record the number of hours, but it was definitely a while. Don't expect to GM it in a day or two. Will take you upwards of a week at least.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay