How to semi-afk 85-GM taming

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

How to semi-afk 85-GM taming

Post by nightshark »

Following matron's guide which will take you from 50-80 or so taming, I bring you the 85-GM installment. I was going to wait until I had GMed taming first before posting this, but quite a few people have seen me at it already so I might as well share it now :)

This pic is almost self explanatory. This only requires one character to do, but it is much better if you have a second character to gate you in/out and res you, so you can do this with NO resources at all.

How to:
Step 1, as shown in that picture, is to place some kind of tamed animal in north eastern corner of the southern most room. This is used as a decoy for the hell hounds to agro on. This allows you to tame the hell hounds without taking fire breath damage (they never attack you).

Once the hell hounds have agroed onto the animal, bring your tamer around and stand it on the exact tile I have shown in this picture. The reason for choosing that tile is that it is the furthest tile away that you can tame the southeastern most tile of the room.

Lastly (or, if you are using 1 character, this would be done before you place your character on that tile), surround the hell hounds with boxes so that they can't move around too much. The reason for this, is that once you tame one of the hell hounds they will start fighting each other. Eventually one of the animals will begin to retreat, and they may end up surrounding you and killing you. Placing the boxes there means that this won't happen.

Have a macro running
Useskill: Taming
Wait 1s
Target closest grey

That's all! The hell hounds will kill themselves, and every 30 mins or so you come back to shift the boxes and refresh the spawn. Yes, this is vulnerable to griefers, but it comes with the territory of gaining taming. Your character will die often, but it doesn't matter since you're holding nothing anyway.

I've done 85-91 taming there so far practically afk, most of it was done while I was gaining skills on other characters/farming.

Happy taming!
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: How to semi-afk 85-GM taming

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Good idea.

I suppose this would work in fire dungeon too, where you are less likely to be PK'd.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Wait - how do you ensure the hell hounds spawn within that little boxed area? Last I was there, they spawned on both halves of the room, in fairly random spots.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Mikel123 wrote:Wait - how do you ensure the hell hounds spawn within that little boxed area? Last I was there, they spawned on both halves of the room, in fairly random spots.
You don't; they spawn in a group as soon as the last one dies, so you hide and let them all reaggro on the rabbit, then place your boxes again once they've moved back into position.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

My technique trumps yours.

Although, nice job on the non healing aspect.

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

RoseRIP wrote:My technique trumps yours.

Although, nice job on the non healing aspect.
so what is the Rose Technique?

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Top Secret, contact me in IRC if you want some leet taming advice.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Hicha wrote:
Mikel123 wrote:Wait - how do you ensure the hell hounds spawn within that little boxed area? Last I was there, they spawned on both halves of the room, in fairly random spots.
You don't; they spawn in a group as soon as the last one dies, so you hide and let them all reaggro on the rabbit, then place your boxes again once they've moved back into position.
Gotcha. But how do you keep the rabbit safe if some spawn on that side of the room too?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Mikel123 wrote:
Hicha wrote:
Gotcha. But how do you keep the rabbit safe if some spawn on that side of the room too?
If it spawns on that side of the room, the rabbit is pretty much screwed unless you agro everything really fast. But you can just tame a new rabbit or buy one from the stablemaster on your alt. You can tame cats/rabbits/birds etc in one try most the time, and they're easily found.

Majority of the time they spawn in the northern room, so it's not a big problem.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Nicoladen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nicoladen »

Man that gargoyle is a pain in the...

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Nicoladen wrote:Man that gargoyle is a pain in the...
just lure it out of the room, to the north hallway. it won't be able to pathfind down. i left it in there because it was pwning the hell hounds.

Nicoladen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nicoladen »

nightshark wrote:
Nicoladen wrote:Man that gargoyle is a pain in the...
just lure it out of the room, to the north hallway. it won't be able to pathfind down. i left it in there because it was pwning the hell hounds.

lol thanks. My mistake was, that I kept killing it - making it respawn and kill me everytime it did. Letting it live helped :)

hksaga

Post by hksaga »

Thanks for the tips. I play very similiar trick execpt i just place the box at the corridor so I can splite the room into north / south part. The problem right now is the box on the ground will disappear eventually. The dog is not blocked since the box disappear and then I was biten into pieces........

Vidarok

Post by Vidarok »

I just got to 85 tame and I found this post. Where exactly is all this taking place?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Vidarok wrote:I just got to 85 tame and I found this post. Where exactly is all this taking place?
Hythloth level 2. You can find a rune to "Hell Hounds" in just about any runehouse.