Tailoring - Point by Point

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Sufferings

Re: Tailoring - Point by Point

Post by Sufferings »

Li Meiyang wrote:Tailoring is a breeze, and profitable to GM.

Once u can make leather, go to the rune library and make a rune book to all the tanner shops.

The hides restock every hour like clockwork, 20/40/80.... up to 999 and sell for 3 gp per. Get cranking after server restart, hit the shops, buy out the hides. You may want to make gorgets or something and recut the leather at this point, but later in the day you'll be sewing non-stop and selling it all for a nice markup. Because it takes *time* to tailor all that leather, you may not even need to be hitting *all* the tanner shops. (But Minoc is definitely one to use cuz of it's proximity to the bank.)

I mostly made the higher profit stuff up to gm, female leatehr, shorts, skirt, brassiere, studded brassiere and studded gorget -to sell to the tanner. If your furtraders are all loaded up to 999 though, go ahead and make the high skill/resource stuff like studded legs, tunic, female studded, etc. It's not a waste of resources because you get more skill gain, takes less time to get through the leather, and still yields marginal profits.
I didn't knew it was being sold so cheaply! Thanks for the tip, it will save me alot of time :D

UnHoly Ram

Post by UnHoly Ram »

I'm at 79.5 Shown, Is studded gorgets really the best thing to be making? I was getting better returns on Robes, compared to what I'm getting with gorgets.

Bruno_Steelhart

Post by Bruno_Steelhart »

I know everything on Stratics is not accurate for this era, but it says that robes and leather gorgets take the same amount of skill to make 53.9 so why would I switch to gorgets at 70ish? If I have the same amount of chance to success/fail it isn't going to affect my gains right? Is there a table that might show me that the skills required were different in this era and has some numbers I can go by? The way it looks to me is that I need to go to leather buster or skirt after robes until I can do studded gorgets at 78.8.

Bruno_Steelhart

Post by Bruno_Steelhart »

Anyone?

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

I figured this would be what we're using. But we aren't using the value for robes, so beats me.
http://web.archive.org/web/199910051841 ... m/tail.htm

I did robes from 54.6 (31k cloth), gorgets from 74.7 (2.1k leather), and studded gorgets from 78.9 (31.5k leather). Keep in mind that while some items may give you a better chance at gaining, that they use a lot more resources. This should minimize the use of leather as well.

I would just re-use the cloth from the robes. Its profitable selling the gorgets and studded gorgets though, if you don't mind gettings lots of hides.

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

It's been said before but I want to re-iterate from personal experience.

Farming free cloth (minus recall regs) is extremely easy, can be done casually and you will have tens of thousands of cloth.

Step 1, buy an empty rune book.
Step 2, buy about 20 blank runes, and mark scrolls if you dont have at least 60ish magery.
Step 3, go to a rune library and find the cotton/flax/wool book. Ignore the feathers section if it has one.
Step 4, recall to each location, mark a rune, put it in your rune book.
Step 5, whenever you are bored, macroing other characters, in the mood to farm cloth, recall to all the farms, and sheep pens every half hour

Occasionally other people will be doing this, occasionally there will be sheep killer griefers or something. More often than not, you will find fresh cotton on the ground, and fluffy sheep.

I do this when I'm bored and macroing other chars and gather thousands of cloth without even noticing it.
Catskills 97-99

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dren »

This is a great guide for people who are new to Tailoring.
Fit: Alderman, Merchants of Britannia: Proudly serving UOSA for more than 160 Sosarian years.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Eastwood wrote: Occasionally other people will be doing this, occasionally there will be sheep killer griefers or something. More often than not, you will find fresh cotton on the ground, and fluffy sheep.
I was under the impression that sheep respawn from death faster than they respawn wool. Also, in delucia, I kill sheep so cows will spawn cause I need hides, lol. Its not always a griefer.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

OneEyedJack
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OneEyedJack »

It's better to tame the sheep than to kill them. Taming them will force them to respawn, while keeping the old ones around to regrow their own wool.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

So I finally took it upon myself to GM this skill, and I have to agree with some of the other posters that the gains he posted aren't close to what I was gaining. I did a lot of research in determining what to make and when, and I feel the following is an appropriate method to GMing this skill easily:

Real Skill Bracket        |      Item Created     | Resource
22.0 - 32.8(41.4 shown)  |       Fancy Shirt       | 3385 Cloth
32.8 - 47.3(54.0 shown)  |           Cloak           | 7869 Cloth
47.3 - 70.2 (74.0 shown) |           Robe            | 11102 Cloth
70.2 - 78.6 (81.3shown)  |     Leather Tunic     | 6548 Leather
78.6 - 95.0 (95.6 shown) |    Studded Gorget    | 10400 Leather
95.0 - 100.0                   |     Studded Tunic     | 12298 Leather

Total Cloth Used: 22,356
Total Leather Used: 29,246

Macro Used:
If SystemMessage = "81.3" (skill point to stop at)
Pause 1000000.00 sec
End If
Double-click Scissors
Pause 1.0 sec
Target Item (Item being made)
Pause 1.0 sec
Execute Restock Agent
Absolute Target (chest containing mats)
Double-click Sewing kit (Set this to By-Type)
-------Section to pic your crafted item -------
Pause 6.00 sec

A few notes:
1. Gains stopped exactly at 95.0 real skill from Studded Gorgets. Switching to Studded Tunics provided solid gains (of course at a higher cost.)

2. I used Li Meiyang's recommendation to buy up hides from the 8 tanner shops in Brittania (according to UOAutoMap.) You can quickly build up their inventory to 999; it usually takes 30-60 minutes for a vendor to restock (I checked every 20 minutes.) Several times a previous 999 purchase turned into a 20 purchase, followed by another 999 purchase, not sure if its a bug or not, but can definitely slow down the gathering process.

3. Vendors won't talk to you if they don't have any hides for sale (you'd think they'd say something.)

4. To expedite hide gathering, I would recall to first vendor, buy all the hides, then gate hop the hides to the next vendor, buy his hides and add them to my stack, and continue until I went through all 8 tanner shops. This works well for 2 reasons: you know the hides are already heavy, so you can max out on gold to prevent frequent bank trips while purchasing, and once you hit 999 mark, they'll auto pull gold from the bank, saving you time anyway.

5. While vendoring the items you make can be profitable, I went for max AFK-ability and just recut everything. Return mats vary by quality but can almost yield as much material as it took to create the item (noticeable while crafting Studded Tunics, 14 to make, often returned 11-13 from cutting them up.)
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

Is it possible to reach GM using only cloth? I have you would not believe how many cloth and I am too lazy to find/buy hides.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

I believe, but am not sure, that tailoring stops at the high 70's. I got to 77.something shown skill before I switched.
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

OneEyedJack
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OneEyedJack »

I just got to 74.3 for the second time (real skill) with only cloth because I had so much. I haven't gained in a long while, but I keep making robes because it's easy money heh. I think this is the cutoff for cloth.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

JasonNtn wrote:Can anyone give me a hint as to how to make a tailoring macro work when I change sewing kits? For some reason the macro I have always starts failing when my kits wear out and I have to buy new ones. I have set it to 'type' but it doesn't seem to work.
Maybe try using an "if" statement to restock one single sewing kit when it breaks rather than have a bunch in your pack.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

jekkis
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by jekkis »

I hit a wall gaining from robes at 78.9 (25 dexterity, so real value was at 75.8 - not bad considering how easy it is to get cloth). Up until that point, the gain was actually pretty fast.