Taming from 50-GM Speed Tips (Updated 2015)

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
avpr87

Re: Taming from 50-GM Speed Tips

Post by avpr87 »

seeing as i dont have another char with healing an hiding or waeva is suggested , do u think i should ju sstay in the swamps tilli gm? or dos someone have a better idea

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

avpr87 wrote:seeing as i dont have another char with healing an hiding or waeva is suggested , do u think i should ju sstay in the swamps tilli gm? or dos someone have a better idea
Just goto the HH room in the SW corner of Hyth lv2, you can make the hell hounds agro on a pet (or 2nd character) that is behind the wall and tame without taking any damage. People will grief you, but it's still easier than staying in the swamp til GM - that would become very difficult to find new targets to tame while your skill is in the 90s.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

avpr87

Post by avpr87 »

thanks for the reply man,but seeing as im not a big dungeonologist, i made that word up lol, can u tell me how to get there?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

If you're not familiar with dungeons, you should probably avoid going to the dungeon and battling your way down there. Hythloth can be a little rampant with critters sometimes. Just find a rune library and 99% of them should have a rune directly to the room.

Be prepared to die a lot though, so I'd suggest having an alternate character in town that can gate your ghost out to resurrect and go back in.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Here is a link to the thread with the alternate method: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20578&

Very easy to set up, but less afkable than Rose's version. Use an alt character in place of the rabbit to deter PKs (most PKs do not want to waste counts on characters carrying 0 items). Having an orc lord, deamon or gargoyle chilling with the hell hounds will ensure the hell hounds die very quickly after being tamed - eliminating the need for boxes.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Nathaniel

Post by Nathaniel »

For 71.1-77.1:
Bulls outside of Del is a lot faster and more afkable than the Shrine. You just have to drag a few orcs there and every 30 minutes or so you just attack all the bulls around and drag them to a ledge. This takes all of about one minute as it is a small area. Easier than running all over the desert and better gains.

For Compassion:
If you want to get the most out of your not-afk efforts ... set the macro to target snakes, then spiders, and lastly scorpions. This way you aren't taming scorps that give crappy gains and then kill the spiders and snakes that would have given you better gains.

Also, it helps to have a character hidden on the one-tile-wide path to the shrine. This will prevent something from wandering on to it and killing you.

Finally, don't forget to look around to see if you can find an urk to pay tribute to before you go afk. Zat zat shynees is worth not getting clomped.

Acotyllo

Post by Acotyllo »

For all the tamers: When you tame an animal please either kill them or change their names and release them. This will prevent others from taming the same animal and not get any gains. Killing them will force the server to spawn new ones.

For the past few weeks i seen all sorts of tame animals wondering around.

Milliband

Post by Milliband »

I want to add a quick improvement to this method, it gets extremely slow from 72-77 at compassion (and busy)and I think I've thought of a novel way of fixing it.

Firstly make your character with 60 int 10 str 10 dex. Go and GM herding while doing animal lore or eval. When hitting 71.1 head to Delucia and start trying to tame bulls, this will take forever like 10 mins per bull at least. Have the macro herding the bull on to (0,0) (Relative location) whilst attempting to tame afterwards.

Come back every 10 mins or so to change the bull and rename it, more gains and more afk.

The great hearts also give reasonable gains.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37675 - Violent Library all your Runebook needs.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37676&p=326480#p326480 - Taming Bible explained.

randale

Post by randale »

Also, doesn't the taming difficulty increase if the creature is released then tamed by another tamer? So, could you create another tamer, to say re-tame those creatures at the compassion shrine, so as you get more skill, you could re-tame them with a greater difficulty to get more skill gain? Play ping-pong with the creature, taming it back and forth.

But, I know that if it's tamed too many times, you'll get a message saying it's not tameable anymore.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Negative.

Pretames have a 0 taming skill requisite, thus giving no gain.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

ktemplar17

Post by ktemplar17 »

Pirul wrote:Negative.

Pretames have a 0 taming skill requisite, thus giving no gain.
Doesn't this mean Anyone could tame a mob that was tamed and release. Nightmare, Dragon, etc?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Affirmative.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

randale

Post by randale »

Acotyllo wrote:For all the tamers: When you tame an animal please either kill them or change their names and release them. This will prevent others from taming the same animal and not get any gains. Killing them will force the server to spawn new ones.

For the past few weeks i seen all sorts of tame animals wondering around.
I thought if they are killed OR tamed, another one will respawn, not just killed. But, yes there is the problem of them having them name of ones that spawn with the same animal name (eg- "a bull")

randale

Post by randale »

I'd recommend just completely removing the "Wait for target" in the macro as it does save time. The result is that you save time by insta retargeting every time your macro targets something non tameable. The bad thing is your screen will get heavily spammed with system messages.
By non-tamable, do you mean in this case something that you have already tamed and is under your control? Or, as I just learned, something that you have released that you had tamed, which would give you no gain in re-taming it? Or do you mean just something that can't be tamed period, for example- a balron?

This is something I was thinking about, with that macro randomly targeting creatures across the water, it will target also ones I have already tamed, which I don't want it to do.

randale

Post by randale »

Upgrayedd wrote:
Strabo wrote:Ok.. I have a rookie question.. Where the heck is Hopper's Bog?! I've died several times seeking this elusive location... Thanks!!!
Southeast of Papua, across the river. Also, you might want to look into getting UO Auto Map.
Speaking of that, is there a way to run multiple instances of UOAM? When say, you have three toons logged in?

Return to “Guides”