Taming from 50-GM Speed Tips (Updated 2015)

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
randale

Re: Taming from 50-GM Speed Tips

Post by randale »

Right now I'm on phase 2 (that is- hoppers bog)

Some observations include that the frogs definitely aren't as plentiful as the scorpions and giant spiders in the desert. There are some, definitely, but not as many. Another thing is it really helps to have another character with teleport, if you plan to herd the frogs to a tamer. The area definitely isn't flat like the desert. The ledges can be quite a pain if there are frogs up on them, and you need to find the ramp to lead them off from. This is perhaps the only case I can think of where the enticement skill (depending on what client you use, you may have discordance instead, which, if it works, may be against the rules, would it? Since you're not supposed to have it) could actually be useful, if you can get them to follow you through a gate.

Some ledges don't have ramps at all, and teleport is the only way to get on one (or, some even have what appears to be a ramp, but what really isn't (The Z axis can be quite confusing sometimes) While this may be great to protect your tamer from ranged attacks, it also means that if there is a frog on one, you won't be able to get it down to herd to towards your tamer with an alt (except maybe gating it with enticement) Since I don't have it, and don't want to invest the time to develop it, I've just been killing the frogs, and hoping they will respawn somewhere else. Sorry, Kermit if I can't use you, I'm gonna lose you.

There are also giant spiders in the bog, as well as some other creatures which may get you some gains, so you may want to improvise and use them and alligators, and snakes if you're having a hard time finding frogs, or some follow you back while you are leading the frogs towards your tamer.

Sometimes I think it may be better to have your tamer seek out his own frogs to tame, rather than having them herded near his ledge. This may solve the problem of unherdable frogs on ledges (and the pain of having the lead them through the bog, gathering other creatures as you go) but you're tamer will need regs, and to find a safe spot each time. It's a lot easier with my alt, in this regard, the tamer has absolutely no items on him, if he gets pk'd, so what? I just res him with my alt and continue taming.

Lastly, not something exclusive to taming. But, if a tree falls and no one's around does it make a sound? I leave you to handle this philosophical question. But, apparently when two mobs are fighting and no pc is there watching it, they don't do damage to each other. I've seen it before, like tonight, when I saw some mobs I had provoked against each other, just to get off my back were still fighting an hour and a half later, when I went through the area looking for frogs. So, they apparently don't "exist" when no one is there to watch them? To decrease server load, but there must be some cue to bring them back if someone enters the area again.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Good post.

You are correct, frogs are very scarce in comparison to the other things you are taming. It is best to gather up everything possible in the swamp, and mix them with the frogs. Strong Mongbats are the next best thing.

I wouldn't worry about herding or enticement at all (untamed creatures cannot go though gates) due to the fact that everything you are looking to tame will aggro you and move towards you if you are on screen. The best method is to lure a train of mobs over to your tamer with an alternate character, and while your tamer is taming, go look for more mobs to drag over.

If the bog gets slow due to multiple tamers, it may be a good idea to seek your giant toads elsewhere. More then one tamer in the bog really slows things down.

Good observation in regards to the tree falling metaphor. This is exactly how mobs behave when a players are not around.... Frozen in time!

randale

Post by randale »

It would be helpful to know what creatures you will still get gains from. I got a gain from a snake the other day. Alligators and Mongbats and giant spiders I can still get gains from it seems as well. At what point will you not get any gains at all, from when you can automatically tame it. That is the "That wasn't even challenging" message. Of course, there are creatures that you will never get this message from, no matter what your taming skill is.

As for strong Mongbats, you mean the ones that I don't automatically kill with an explosion spell? There were a few that I had to throw in a lightning bolt or two as well to kill, but I'm wondering if this what's meant by strong mongbat, or the kind I came across on a similiar free shard that was mostly T2A (Metropolis) the ones that could use magic and were much harder to kill.

Shane Dog

Post by Shane Dog »

As long as it does not say "That was not even challenging" you can still get gains. I have one tamer that is around 88-89ish taming real skill and can get gains from Great Harts, snakes, Giant Toads, Frenzies, Bulls, and some other things I cannot recall ATM.

You can get gains of of fails too which is what the speed taming guides focus on because you can get multiple gains some times off one animal if you constantly fail.

I prefer to run around taming crap because I am old skool like that.
"A wise man makes no mistakes; yet, mistakes make a man wise" ~ self quote 2001

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Shane Dog is right.

randale, the "Stongbats" looks exactly like Mongbats except they have about 4 times the strength and hit points.

It is best to tame anything and everything that is a "challenge".
Collect all spawn in the swamp, Mongbats, Aligators, Giant Spiders, Snakes, Tentacles (for killing tames), and most important the Giant Toad. Giant Toads can take you to GM if you have the patience.

randale

Post by randale »

UsualSuspect wrote:I don't know about multiple uoam, but you can switch which client it tracks.
I tried this, it doesn't work, says it can't find UOAM.exe

http://sites.google.com/site/madbrahmin/uoamstuff

Shane Dog

Post by Shane Dog »

In the search box of the forum type something like this "UOAM multi client" and download that one. It is way better than the other one and you can switch characters (clients) and it automatically tracks the client you switch to.
"A wise man makes no mistakes; yet, mistakes make a man wise" ~ self quote 2001

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Thumbs up if this thread has been helpful!

:D

randale

Post by randale »

Good observation in regards to the tree falling metaphor. This is exactly how mobs behave when a players are not around.... Frozen in time!
I can see definite advantages to it, such as vacating an area so your corpse won't rot

SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SaibotMK »

Rose wrote:Thumbs up if this thread has been helpful!

:D
Thumps up!
Baalx in IRC
https://www.twitch.tv/adrenalinepvptwitch

"<Vega> he needs some refresh mount kegs"
"<Vega> for the incessant trammel-a-thons he goes on"

Mikanele

Post by Mikanele »

Is Ice island a bad place to tame on this server. On osi I spent countless hours taming wolves walruses etc....

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Not bad, just that many people use it.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Also, you're probably thinking of UOR, not T2A era. In UOR, difficulty increased with successive tames. So, you could actually get to GM relatively easily there, because for example a twice-pretamed white wolf had like an 85 skill difficulty to tame. Here, a pretamed animal has difficulty of 0. Actually, less than 0. So since you have a 100% chance of success, you have a 0% chance of skillgain.

TwisT

Post by TwisT »

great guide! easiest part is once you get to the hell hounds! plus the $$ ya make isn't bad either!

Trunks

Post by Trunks »

Gmed my taming in 3 days thanks to Rose.

Return to “Guides”