Weapons

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Weapons

Post by Mikel123 »

You are very correct.

Yes, the halberd's two dice still gives it more variance than most weapons. Variance is one small thing though... the big picture is, of course, the halberd rolls two BIG dice. So part of it's usefulness against heavily-armored foes is because it just hits so hard. Look at the heavy xbow... rolling 5 dice, it's very consistently average... but it's average is pretty damn high!

Anyways, yes the war fork is amazing. But, I recommend swords to new players for the cheap prices and higher availability of things like silver weapons. And, being able to carry around +15 broadswords of power, which are basically the same price as GM broadswords. They hit harder, and they get you accustomed to using magic weapons, which gets you accustomed to not wanting to die, which gets you accustomed to preparing yourself better, taking less chances, and dying to PKs less.

morganm

Post by morganm »

That's interesting.... I hadn't thought of the availability of magic swords to factor in here. I'm dropping macing regardless but was about to start working fencing given the war fork and kryss. Now the availability of relatively cheap magic swords is beckoning me to swordsmanship; especially if that minor damage difference can be made up or exceeding by using magic swords.

Why do ppl love katanas so much? They seem like a shit choice in your analysis. Is it just because they are so fast that they don't seem so bad?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I mean... if you've played here a while, and you plan on fighting players in armor, yes go with fencing for the war fork.

If you are still new-ish, plan on just fighting liches with silver weapons, etc., go with swords.

Katana used to be faster than the kryss, but then it got nerfed. It's now barely faster than a broadsword. Has the same avg damage as the kryss against a naked mage, but against armored foes it's a little worse. It was really beloved for its speed, which it doesn't have here.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Mikel, I'm trying to recreate your spreadsheet for all weps. I can't seem to get the formula right, the numbers just seem off.

Also, I found this in the stratics page, and seems to be a bit varying from what you posted.

Any help to recreate your spreadsheet would be most welcome.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Now that I look at it, that page is pretty terrible. For example, 50 STR, 50 DEX - why on earth would one do that? Additionally, check out the "vs AR 30" part... how exactly is a dagger supposed to outdamage a kryss and war fork against a heavily armored player?!

dorklard

Post by dorklard »

So the Kryss is faster here than Katana ?

Is that by intent ?

Because im 100% sure Katana was the fastest weapon (disregarding Dagger), with a little more speed than kryss. It also shows this way on my UO Manual from T2A Box (yes i still have it lol^^)

However, back then many people prefered the kryss for style reasons. So either im mixing up things, or they do ;-)