Guide: How to spot a ghost camper

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
modesthaus

Guide: How to spot a ghost camper

Post by modesthaus »

It probably comes as no surprise to any of the other people on this server with Bard characters that the Guild (TG) aka "Terror Guard" are hot spot ghost camping 3v1 PKers. If you see a character with TG at the end of their name or guild title then they are more then likely ghost camping or camping a spot in general in hopes to get some free loot. It seems that Malice (That sometimes hangs out in Delucia) is the ring leader. I often see one of their ghost camping blue characters without a mount in T2A Balrons. This character has gm detect hidden and with revel you and die, luring the Balrons on you just to get ressed by an alt or team mate.

Moral to the story is if you see a character in a dungeon that is blue or otherwise, it's probably best to just recall. You can say that I'm just butt hurt all you want but I personally think this is a (although effective) pathetic way to PK.

Terror Guard (TG) War Us! [TG]
http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Guild/66
This is where their guild spot is located:

via Sandro:
Known TG 'observers':
  • Panpipe TG (ghosts terathan keep)
  • Starr (ghosts IDOC's & brit gy mainly)
  • Mitch (ghosts Hythloth balron)
Last edited by modesthaus on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

modesthaus

Re: Guide: How to spot a ghost camper

Post by modesthaus »

Also, I would say that a ghost camper would not reveal their ghost to you but I wouldn't put it past them. I'm the type of person that if I see a ghost, I try to res them and help them get to their body (as I'm sure more then a few people can attest to). Instead of seeing the ghost and immediately looking for the corpse to loot.

I LOVE UO for it's sandbox range of character playing from Evil to Good and everything in-between. But I really do think that ghost camping spots with alts just makes the game boring and predictable. I predict that if I walk into a dungeon hotspot that there will be a Red not to far behind me. Seemly to know I was there even though there is no one else there.

Its to the point that me and my camp are contemplating Reverse Ghost Camping. Yes you can quote me on that one. Ghosting just to see if there is someone ghosting. How fucked up is that that we have to goto such lengths?

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 55&start=0
Last edited by modesthaus on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Known TG 'observers':
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Dr Octagon

Post by Dr Octagon »

i guess the major issue here is that so many people are dual (and some triple) clienting and that it was never really common back in the days of old. although i'm sure there were people with multiple accounts (i had at least 7 at one point back in my osi days) and multiple machines during the original t2a era, it just didn't occur like it does here to the best of my knowledge.

a simple (but shitty) solution would be to make a character on a second account, die, and then use that character to scout the areas you're going before you go. to take it one step futher and if it's even possible, auto follow your ghost with your main character once you're satisfied with the findings of your own ghost(er) and just tab back to your main/alive character to enjoy the game.

never thought i'd really have to deal with some lame ass counter strike gimp shit like fucking ghosting in an MMO, especially UO. i thought uo was about player skill (from basic understandings of game mechanics to adapting, etc) and not how many ghosts you can have online at once, waiting to see something happen and then warp to x location.

(sorry about the last bit/rant).

edit:
modesthaus wrote:Its to the point that me and my camp are contemplating Reverse Ghost Camping. Yes you can quote me on that one. Ghosting just to see if there is someone ghosting. How fucked up is that that we have to goto such lengths?

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 55&start=0
lol, i totally didn't read your second post before i typed mine. nail on the fucking head.

oh i forgot to mention this screenie i saw a dude post (forgot name/what thread it was in) where there were 2-3 ghosts camping this location by iirc brit GY where you could've placed a house... had they not been there ghosting in location. that's pretty much pathetic, if you're not able to roll with legitimate competition and are falling back on things like that - i'm thinking you may want to just quit uo and play wow. i hear it's easy.

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

modesthaus wrote:It probably comes as no surprise to any of the other people on this server with Bard characters that the Guild (TG) aka "Terror Guard" are hot spot ghost camping 3v1 PKers. If you see a character with TG at the end of their name or guild title then they are more then likely ghost camping or camping a spot in general in hopes to get some free loot. It seems that Malice (That sometimes hangs out in Delucia) is the ring leader. I often see one of their ghost camping blue characters without a mount in T2A Balrons. This character has gm detect hidden and with revel you and die, luring the Balrons on you just to get ressed by an alt or team mate.

Moral to the story is if you see a character in a dungeon that is blue or otherwise, it's probably best to just recall. You can say that I'm just butt hurt all you want but I personally think this is a (although effective) pathetic way to PK.

Terror Guard (TG) War Us! [TG]
http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Guild/66
This is where their guild spot is located:

via Sandro:
Known TG 'observers':
How did you figure out panpipe tg was with tg

voodoo

Post by voodoo »

The problem is caused by the fact that accounts are free, whereas they cost money on OSI. A ghost on UOSA costs you nothing but the time it takes you to log it in, while a ghost on OSI cost you your hard earned cash, so the risk:reward is completely whacked out.

The community hasn't been able to think of a good, accurate solution to this, though (since we can't make accounts cost money), so the problem remains.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Pretty sure TG also ghost lich lords. I've been there a few times and it is usually a minute or so before TG gates in, usually when I've just cast an EV.
Last edited by nightshark on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Dr Octagon

Post by Dr Octagon »

really? the community hasn't been able to come up with a single idea that people agree upon, in regards to people clearly abusing the free account/dual client aspect to break the game (in some specific instances, i.e. the inability to place a house due to ghosts)? if that's the case, there may as well not be a restriction to accounts per ip so that everyone can have at least one ghost everywhere they'd want to go or if they can't place a house for some 'unknown' reason.

edit: i take that back about the "some specific instances" simply because the only way to deal with ghosting is to ghost yourself. i'm not playing ghost busters.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Consider hot spot ghost spying on multiple accounts cheating and start jailing people for it....
I bet OSI would have done at least that if it were an issue.

modesthaus

Post by modesthaus »

Dr Octagon wrote:i'm not playing ghost busters.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

Rose wrote:Consider hot spot ghost spying on multiple accounts cheating and start jailing people for it....
I bet OSI would have done at least that if it were an issue.
This is probably the best idea in regards to the ghosting issue.

A change in UOSA policy which does not remove the ability of players to explore as a ghost is the best bet.

With that said, I'm fine with things as they are. But Rose's idea seems reasonable to me.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

Yenomees

Post by Yenomees »

I'd be for this being made illegal, I have no prob with reds but this method is very exploitish in my opinion.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

malice-tg wrote:
How did you figure out panpipe tg was with tg
hahahaha
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Tiwstacain

Post by Tiwstacain »

dude, just gate your own blue ghost in b4 you go in and start farming, i never go to farm without checking the area out with a ghost

TC

Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kelektra »

Not era accurate at all but i noticed that in the two minutes i played another free shard if you were a ghost you could not see any living creatures until you togged into War.

This would make the Ghost visable to players, therefore we would be able to tell if someone was ghosting a spot because we would see their names pop up every so often because they need to go into war status in order to see people.
Shards Only T-Map Validation System viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24446