Treasure hunting

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Berock Shagando

Treasure hunting

Post by Berock Shagando »

I made a Treasure hunter character. Started him off with 50 cartog and 50 magery. been training cartog and lockpicking. My question is: what cartog and lockpicking skill is needed to decode the maps and pick the chests for each level? Also at which level does the magic unlock spell stop working on the chests? so far his template is

Cartography
Magery
Lockpicking
Fishing

Do I absolutely need detect hidden and remove trap for lvl 5 maps? I just planned on using telekinesis. Also does anyone else suggest Arms Lore or Item ID? I was also contemplating the importance of meditation, as well as archery and tactics for sea battles. Comments?

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Treasure hunting

Post by Kabal »

http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/115742

This is my treasure hunter guy, he pretty much opens any chest :D

I was gonna drop detect for mining because it increases dig radius when searching for treasure, but I'm not quite sure thats worth it since most of the t map rune libraries are pretty accurate, including my own. instead I think I'm just gonna go with wrestling.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

You can pick lvl 5's with GM lockpicking, but since that's a PITA, you can go with 95 LP and 60 DH. You'd need to GM Carto to decode them, tho.

Magic unlock works with lvl 1 and lvl 2 chests (provided you have GM Magery). You can find exact values in the Cartography section of the Wiki.

Easiest template to do a t-hunter is:
Carto
Magery
LP
Music
Provo

I have hiding and stealth, beacuse I use him to do dungeon chests to get to GM LP, but once I do that, I'm dropping both for wrestling and med.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

mkgref

Post by mkgref »

Does the person that decodes the map have to be the same one to open it / dig it up?

In other words, can I have one character with GM cartography (eg. a mule) and a different one with lockpick? I could then give the decoded map to a different character to actually find, dig, open the chest?

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

mkgref wrote:Does the person that decodes the map have to be the same one to open it / dig it up?

In other words, can I have one character with GM cartography (eg. a mule) and a different one with lockpick? I could then give the decoded map to a different character to actually find, dig, open the chest?
Too much hassle, with all the invis items you got from working up LPing, you'll be able to survive a lvl 5 map.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

The one who decodes it is the only one who can actually dig it up. From that point on, anyone can pick it, open it and loot it. However, the same person who decoded and dug the chest up is the only one that can remove the chest.

...and always remove your chests.

Berock Shagando

remove the chest?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Yes, it takes 2 seconds and is a great courtesy to treasure hunters who come after you.

Dbl click an axe and target the empty treasure chest. This will remove the chest so that then treasure hunter who comes after you does not have to wait 4+ hours for the chest to decay.

Berock Shagando

Oh nice. I never knew about this...I knew about the 4+ hour delay but didnt know you could remove the chest to avoid that.

mr mahony

Post by mr mahony »

Kabal wrote:http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/115742

This is my treasure hunter guy, he pretty much opens any chest :D

I was gonna drop detect for mining because it increases dig radius when searching for treasure, but I'm not quite sure thats worth it since most of the t map rune libraries are pretty accurate, including my own. instead I think I'm just gonna go with wrestling.

How accurate is the wiki for what drops maps?

Such as are Cyclops always level 3 maps and Titans always level 5 maps? I have read elsewhere here that Titans can drop from level 3-5, and Cyclops are level 2, looking for some clarification please.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I use the same build as Kabal except I don't have any detect or mining, I have wrestling instead. Soloing a level 5 chest is really no problem, you can even just jump on your mount when everything spawns and bolt before it can kill you - there is about a 1 second delay before it attacks.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Is it wrong to leave a book in the chest that says "Message Ronk and pay 5k to have this chest removed"?? :-p
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

neonfizz7

Post by neonfizz7 »

Im a newb and have found a few tmaps on monster corpses. They are lvl 1 and have been decoded. I do not have a mage character. Is it possible to sell the maps, even tho I've decoded them?

Caliban

Post by Caliban »

Once the map has been decoded you're the only one that can dig up the chest, so nobody will want to buy the map. You might be able to find someone prepared to come with you, and gate you to/from the site. Alternatively buy magery so you can recall there yourself, since they're only level 1 you won't need much in the way of combat skills to defeat the spawn (which is typically something like 2 headless, 1 skeleton & 1 ratman)

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Caliban wrote:Once the map has been decoded you're the only one that can dig up the chest, so nobody will want to buy the map. You might be able to find someone prepared to come with you, and gate you to/from the site. Alternatively buy magery so you can recall there yourself, since they're only level 1 you won't need much in the way of combat skills to defeat the spawn (which is typically something like 2 headless, 1 skeleton & 1 ratman)
...unless you get them in valor isle, or dragon isle where you'll find silver serpents.

Return to “Guides”