Guide: Boats

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Derrick

Guide: Boats

Post by Derrick »

I wanted to make sure everyone understood clearly the mechanism for boat decay, as I was unclear on it myself and may have misrepresented it to a couple people which may have resulted in the loss of their boats. I'll also throw in some basic info oh boats, and if anyone can, please add to this as it'll be pretty brief.

Boats can be purchased in deed form from a shipwright. These deeds are unblessed
The launch the boat double click the seed and target open water.
You will recive a key on your person and a key in your backpack. These keys are also unblessed and can be stolen.
Anyone in possession of a boat key may target the key with the recall spell to recall directly to the boat
Anyone in the possession of a key may "drydock" the boat by double clicking on the tillerman
The drydocking process results in a miniature boat in your pack which is blessed and you're ship may be relaunched using the same process as with the deed.

Commands are:
  • "(Direction*)" Move ship in desired direction.
  • "Drift left", "Left" Moves ship to the left.
  • "Drift right", "Right" Moves ship to the right.
  • "Drop anchor", "Raise anchor" Toggles ship movement on or off.
  • "Furl sail", "Stop" Stops current ship movement.
  • "One (direction*)", "(Direction*) one" Moves ship one tile in desired direction and stops.
  • "Set name xxxxx" Changes Ship's name, where "xxxxx"=name.
  • "Slow (direction*)" Moves ship slowly in desired direction (see below for possible directions).
  • "Turn around","Come about" Turns ship around and proceeds.
  • "Turn left", "Port" Rotate ship left. Changes the orientation of the ship.
  • "Turn right", "Starboard" Rotate ship right. Changes the orientation of the ship.
  • "Unfurl sail", "Forward" Moves ship forward.
  • Directions: Forward left, forward right, backward left, backward right, back left, back right, backwards, backward, back.
Boats decay in 10 days, and can only be refreshed by opening the plank
Items do not decay on boats, but if it's possible to get close enough, they may be lifted by someone not standing on the boat.

venox

Re: Guide: Boats

Post by venox »

i was always curious about that and would lift anchor, move forward/back and open plank just to be sure.
anyways its been wiki'd.
something that is good to know :)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks man. I very much appreciate yours and everyone elses contributions to the Wiki. I'm stunned every time I go there :)

kataran

Post by kataran »

I have two quick questions based on the information here:
  • If I make a copy of the boat key, can somebody recall off of that? Or can you only recall off of the originals?
  • Similar to the above, can a boat be drydocked with the copy of a key, or only the original?
  • If a boat is drydocked, and subsequently relaunched, does it use the same keys, or are new ones created?
Thanks for your help!
-kat

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

kataran wrote:I have two quick questions based on the information here:
  • If I make a copy of the boat key, can somebody recall off of that? Or can you only recall off of the originals?
  • Similar to the above, can a boat be drydocked with the copy of a key, or only the original?
  • If a boat is drydocked, and subsequently relaunched, does it use the same keys, or are new ones created?
Thanks for your help!
-kat
Any copies of the key will behave exactly as the original.
New keys are generated when the boat is relaunched and the old ones will not work.

kataran

Post by kataran »

Ok, another dumb question - how does one see the decay status of their boat? I tried clicking the tillerman, but it just says 'the tillerman of shipname'. I tried saying status, and nothing. It has been a while, so I'm sure I'm missing something!

-kat

Oxxbow

Post by Oxxbow »

hi peeps,
im sure i can remember having a forge on my boat is this correct ?
not tried it yet so sorry if dumb question, cheers

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The ability to put forges on boats was an early bug and was fixed pretty quick. While there were still some out there for a while they eventually became delete on sight.

This is a good chance to update the status of this thread.
You will now get a message when you boat is refreshed. You can open the plank or dbl click the tillerman to refresh a boat.
Boat decay is 10 days. You can view the status and name of a boat by single clicking the tillerman.

Amalthea

Post by Amalthea »

Can boats be sold back to the vendor?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Nay, they cannot be sold to NPC's

Stormsong
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Stormsong »

On this topic, I remember carrying only a copy of the boat key since it could not be used for docking the boat and if I remember correctly coulc not be used to recall. Those may be hazy or wrong memories.
Stormsong
Mistress of the Light
Keepers of the Light (KtL)
http://www.thektl.com/forums

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I remember this being added in era, but I wasn't able to find out exactly when. This following shows that is was at least active by Aug 1999:
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... 08/26/1999
Ultima_Online:_The_Second_Age_Patch_Notes_for_08/26/1999 wrote:How does recalling off of a boat key work?

Casting recall and targeting the key will attempt to find the boat. If it is successful, you will be taken to the deck of the boat. If it fails, the boat no longer exists in the world, or there was no space on the deck.

Amalthea

Post by Amalthea »

Thanks for the help.

Two more questions.. I think I've seen items locked down on boats (such as runes to rune libraries), but the command "I wish to lock this down" doesnt invoke a target response. How can I lock an item down?

Also, my boat, despite "locking" it and being in possession of both its only keys, my boat still keeps getting taken. I'm able to recall to it and guide it home, but do I need to drydock it in my backpack in order to keep people from sailing away?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

If you lock your boat, people should not be able to take it, just be sure you lock it(both planks) and drop the anchor. Also make sure every once in a while you click the tillerman so it does not decay. As far as items go, you cannot lock things down on a boat, but items that you leave on it will not decay. you need to put them in the center tile closest to the mast or people will be able to grab it from their boat.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

What happens if you recall on a key that goes to a dry-docked boat?
I'm trying to recover my stolen Dragon Ship, and I still have a key in my posession.
If I manage to get a Recall spell to work on the key and the boat isn't dry-docked, I will dry-dock immediately to generate new keys.

Thanks
Est Sularus oth Mithas