New person looking for a mace build…

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

New person looking for a mace build…

Post by morgan1109 »

100 Mace
100 Tactics
70 Magery (100% chance of recall working)
60 Resist
100 Healing
100 Anatomy
100 parry
70 Mining

100 str
85 dex
40 mana

First off, I am two days old so the mining needs to stay there until I have enough to live comfortably. I only have time for one character, so I won’t have a crafter to fall back on financially. Ingots seem to sell in 5 minutes, so there isn’t any time investment outside if macroing on the side of a mountain which safely makes me 5K an hour.

The character will be mainly used in PVE. In 1-1 PVP encounters I’ll probably try and sap stamina and outlast them with 3 ways to heal. If it’s clear they are well armed (which most pk’ers are), I’ll recall from the outset and save myself the death run. I’m hoping I will be useful in group PVP if the need arises. The mage part is really for buffing, debuffing, healing, and travel. Maybe a ranged attack if they have some stamina left and run at the end. I’ll be primarily melee based.

So a couple of questions:
1. I assume I won’t need wrestling, since I’ll primarily only be taking hits during heals, and recalls? Only thing I can think to sub is parry, but that will hurt a lot in my solo PVE won’t it? I’d think I’d rather have the longer term melee survivability for the primary play style.
2. I assume I won’t need meditation. Since most of my casting will be out of combat and infrequent, I didn’t really see the purpose.
3. Is the 60 resist going to be worthwhile at all for PVE or is it only valuable in PVP? Would I be better off just GM mining and magery and forgetting about it?
4. I don’t need much to live on so the mining probably won’t be around for very long. Once it is gone, should I just GM resist, and magery, or is there another skill I should be picking up?
5. What about subbing in hiding instead of resist to avoid attention when out in the world since I won’t be very strong in 1-1 pvp?
6. I decided to go mace because mace magic weapons are cheap (see noob status and limited funds comments above), plus it still works with heal wands in hand, which should enhance my PVP (particularly group PVP) viability?
7. Should I swap resist and parry? Are there PVE casting creatures that would be particularly vulnerable to a high resist build?

If it isn't clear, I'm trying to build an all around character, that while not great at one thing, is good at a lot of things. This is my first build in 15 years so any advice even general advice is appreciated. I’m enjoying being back so far.

Thanks,

Eomin

Capitalist

Re: New person looking for a mace build…

Post by Capitalist »

recall scrolls work 100% of the time with 31.4 magery.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

that is an amazing offer. I would greatly appreciate that
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Capitalist wrote:recall scrolls work 100% of the time with 31.4 magery.
Not according to uostratics. 35% magery has a 97.5% chance. It takes 36 magery according to uo stratics to get 100% success with recall scrolls.

Anyway, when you're ready to drop the mining for another combat skill to optimize the template, here is a cookie cutter dexer build for macing.

100 Str
100 Dex
25 Int

100 Mace
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Parry
100 Resisting Spells
36 Magery (guarantees 100% recall scroll success)
64 Hiding

You can give or take a few points between Magery and Hiding depending on what you want. 36 Magery guarantees 100% recall scroll success, but 64 hiding might fail a bit more often than you'd like. 70 hiding is fairly reliable though, at the cost of a 15% chance of fizzling a recall scroll.

Get your stats up before you start training combat skills though. The extra HP and increased attack speed make things MUCH easier for raising skills.

Also, having a high magery on a build without Evalint is pointless, as your damage spells will do little more than chip damage overall, especially if someone starts resisting it. 36 Magery will let you cast (with 100% success) some important spells, namely Heal, Cure, Reactive Armor or Protection, and Magic Trap (to make bags for paralysis breaking), all of which can still work okay without Evalint. If you so choose, you could also keep Bless and Greater Heal scrolls on hand for added utility (next to your Recall Scrolls), although potions are faster and more effective.

jimi.hendrix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by jimi.hendrix »

gheal is magery based.....
gm magery is needed for pvp

magery
resist
weapon
tactics
anat
healing
parry,hiding,poisoning

use invis item if you really need hiding
<SPANKY> I wanted a damn xplo pot to hit a blue
<SPANKY> so fricken bad.
<SPANKY> i wouldve rofl coptered to trammel.

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

That was so long ago, heh heh.

Eomin is now: (100,80,45)

magery
resist (97, but soon to be 100)
mace
tactics
anat
healing
Eval

Poisoning doesn't do much good on a mace build. I've actually got a dedicated miner, so he doesn't have to mine anymore. He doesn't need to hide indefinitely anymore so I rely on invis jewelry if I need to wait for a bandage to hit. I use quarterstaff for a good chunk of the action, or a war axe if I need to hit the potions hard. Disarming both a weapon and a shield is just to cumbersome in the field from what I have experienced. I dropped parry pretty quick once I attended a few PVP tournaments.

The Eval might not be the best use of points, but it gives me a good ranged finisher which is beneficial in PVP and PVM. I hate chasing down mobs. It's also gives me good burst at the beginning, if I have time to precast it. Mainly, he uses it as a finisher though. I likely to get that clumsy in and wait for a good time to hold an ebolt.

herm is my more traditional Dexxer, and not so much a hybrid like Eomin:
100/25/100
magery
resist (97, but soon to be 100)
Sword
tactics
anat
healing
Poison (96)

he only casts the odd cure or Gheal when potions run out. he likes a good poisoned fast sword and a halberd.

Eomin seems to hold up better against seasoned players, but not as good as he should. I really need to work on my PVP skills more. They are clearly lacking.

Herm can chew through through a PK pretty quick if they get themselves boxed in (PK's who hunt lockpickers at the shame island location, etc). he doesn't hold up well in the field. It's to easy to cure the poison, and he can't handle burst damage as well as Eomin can.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

jimi.hendrix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by jimi.hendrix »

solid templates.
<SPANKY> I wanted a damn xplo pot to hit a blue
<SPANKY> so fricken bad.
<SPANKY> i wouldve rofl coptered to trammel.

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

A standard Hally/Mage template would be better, heh heh. You can't produce the same level of burst damage with either of those. You really need to get the mages into defense mode quickly with those builds to have a chance.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Ill Gates

Post by Ill Gates »

morgan1109 wrote:A standard Hally/Mage template would be better, heh heh. You can't produce the same level of burst damage with either of those. You really need to get the mages into defense mode quickly with those builds to have a chance.
When you're ready for a tank, let me know. I'll work with you on things.

(SaberOwnsVega) i will have better future than u got atm im telling u id be richer for edecational and 10X SMARTER
(SaberOwnsVega) garentee'd

[01:45] == #secondage Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

I just built up my Wyrm fleet this weekend, so I need a couple weeks to get all my resist training done. That way I can cull the herd and open up some stable slots. I've got 5 (4 of them PVP builds) characters in the high 90's that I've been meaning to finish. Then I can concentrate on technique.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Return to “Guides”