Guide : Blacksmithy Guide

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
ZomgPunkRawk

Re: Guide : Blacksmithy Guide

Post by ZomgPunkRawk »

Aqhhqwe,

I recently started my blacksmith using the above guide. Currently i am @ 96 skill and have used 18k ingots using the following method:

50-65 Cutlass
65-75 Katana
75-85 Short Spear
85-96 Spear

As I am typing, I haven't seen much gains in the last 30-45 minutes but I am also not using many ingots in the process. I've been macroing since Monday night (started @ 50 smithing) and have had a few problems with my macro so I haven't been very time effecient. I am not going to complain because so far I am happy with the result.

I will post very shortly if I have decided to change from the Spear or not and give my opinion as well.

So far the guide and discussion within this text has been very helpful and concise.

ZomgPunkRawk

Post by ZomgPunkRawk »

So as of today I have just gm'd Smithing =) yay!!!

I used to following to go from 50-100 Smithing (My shown skill was 55 after getting my str to 100):

55-65 Cutlass
65-75 Katana
75-85 Short Spear
85-99 Spear
99-100 Breastplate

I used approx 30-31k ingots and took me a few days of macroing to accomplish this task.

I started my character with 50 black smithing 49 mining and 1 tinkering and used Camping and Herding to get my str to 100. I got a few points of strength with kindling but I got lazy and macro'd Hearding and that quickly got me my stats and boosted my Smithing to 55.

Afterwords I did some mining and gathering approx 2-3k ingots and became lazy (see a trend?) and purchased 34k ingots at 6gp a piece = 204k in gold. With the previous mining I finished at 72.8 skill and went to macroing my smithing =)

I hit record macro and made a cutlass and then smelted it and finished my macro. I think went ahead and set/tweaked the parameters within it to look something like this:

Double Click : Tongs (Changed the recorded configuration by right clicking and setting the target "By Type")
Pause: 1 sec
Menu Response x
Pause 1 Sec
Absolute Target (This is targeting the ingots in my bag)
Pause 1 Sec
Menu Response x
Pause 1 Sec
Menu Response x
Pause 7 sec
Double Click : Tongs (Again, change recorded config by r-clicking to target "By Type")
Pause 1 Sec
Menu Response x
Target By Type: (Cutlas, Katana, Short Spear, etc what ever you are making at the time)
Pause 1 Sec

Thats the macro I ran the whole time and a couple of points regarded this macro:
*I am not educated in the finer points of computer science or program creation, nor am I experienced with razor program. This macro worked enough for me and I know that there may be a more efficient method
*When using this macro it is important that every now and then that you simply log out and log back in with your character because when i used it, the "gumps"/"smithing select window" would build up and lag my client. I know that another person helping me create a macro said his client would crash because of this.
*I would put about 1.5-2k ingots in my pouch and run the macro for a while taking some breaks to refresh my client. I would do this instead of adding a restock agent because as you gain skill more options open up and you would begin to create different items and would waste ingots.
*I attempted to record the macro with "make last object", but for some odd reason no matter if i restarted my client, computer, etc it would always make Halberds.....I don't know why??? Even if i made shields or a mix of other things and then making a few cuts, kats, or spears it would ALWAYS make a katana, so I didn't mess with using a "Make Last Item" macro.

TL/DR
start with 50 smithing
get 100 str with camp/herding
got 2-3k ingots and was at 72.8 mining, bought the other ingots
record macro and make:
55-65 cutlass
65-75 Katana
75-85 Short Spear
85-99 Spear
99-100 Breast Plate
Used about 30-31k ingots
Now I haz gm smith in a few days of macroing =)

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

ZomgPunkRawk wrote:
I hit record macro and made a cutlass and then smelted it and finished my macro. I think went ahead and set/tweaked the parameters within it to look something like this:

Double Click : Tongs (Changed the recorded configuration by right clicking and setting the target "By Type")
Pause: 1 sec
Menu Response x
Pause 1 Sec
Absolute Target (This is targeting the ingots in my bag)
Pause 1 Sec
Menu Response x
Pause 1 Sec
Menu Response x
Pause 7 sec
Double Click : Tongs (Again, change recorded config by r-clicking to target "By Type")
Pause 1 Sec
Menu Response x
Target By Type: (Cutlas, Katana, Short Spear, etc what ever you are making at the time)
Pause 1 Sec
my macro but you need tinkering and has auto hide built it for house smithing (Hide yourself before starting if you want it to). it smelts when makes item and makes tongs if tool breaks. just carry two set of tinkers tools and ingots and away you go. keeps you hidden at all times

!Loop
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|4027|True
Assistant.Macros.WaitForMenuAction|0|300
Assistant.Macros.MenuResponseAction|5|5049|0
Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|30
Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1077202753|45|66|0|7154
Assistant.Macros.MenuResponseAction|3|3917|0
Assistant.Macros.MenuResponseAction|4|3938|0
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:07
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|you create
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.1000000
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|4027|True
Assistant.Macros.MenuResponseAction|2|4017|0
Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|3938
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01
Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|worn out your tool
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|7868|True
Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1077202753|45|66|0|7154
Assistant.Macros.MenuResponseAction|1|3999|0
Assistant.Macros.MenuResponseAction|13|4027|0
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:06
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|revealed
Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|21
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|to hide
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:10
Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|21

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

to add to my above post i recorded my ingot use. it includes making tools myself. all item were smelted and i have gm mining.

50 real>65 shown cutlass ingots used= 2200
65>75 shown kryss ingots used = 4000
75>85.2 shown short spears ingots used=3500
85.2>99.0 shown long spears ingots used=11450
99.0>GM Plate chest ingots used=4864

Total = 26014 ingots.

RichIX
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RichIX »

Well I just GM'ed Smithy here are some rough figures I had on the way to GM:

50-64 Cutlass - 5k Ingots
64-74 Katana - 5k Ingots
74-84 Short Spear - 5k Ingots
84-99 Spear - 7.5k Ingots
99-100 Breast Plate - 3.5k Ingots

26k Iron used

Im sure its alot fast to switch to making plate armer from 90+ skill but I was in no rush and just left it overnight I would put 3k of Iron on my char before I went to sleep when I got up he would still be working through the 3k he normally had 600+ Ingots still working on. Making spears was a big saver in the gaining process, I had 100 Mining to help with the Smelting Process and recorded him to make smiths hammers when he broke them.

Rich
GM Lockpicker at your Service

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Adding a 2013 post to this thread.

Started with bought-up Blacksmithing skill (~38.x shown)
GM Mining

I had to start with maces to work up the skill a little bit, then I did:
50-64 Cutlass
64-74 Katana
74-84 Short Spear
84-99 Spear
99-100 Breast Plate
Loosely followed this and it worked well. I did use the spear all the way to 99 from 83.x and the ingot usage was great; smelting usually returned all ingots, most of the loss was from failing to create.

I did not keep track of ingot usage per item or EXACTLY to the ingot, but within a couple-hundred ingots -- I used 33k total.

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

keelonzo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by keelonzo »

Still gaining well with short spears at 90.5/89.5

Li Meiyang

Post by Li Meiyang »

GMing Blacksmithing is pretty straightforward. Just follow this guide.

It's all a matter of ingots. The dumb thing I did was try to do the mining and smithy on the same char. Which while having some benefits, is far from efficient. Better I think to get miner going on another account to supply your smith simultaneously. Later I thought it'd be easier to just buy ingots, but it ain't. Cuz that turns into a lot of running around, PMing, empty vendors, and huge expenditures.

Although if you weren't in a hurry, you could do mining/smithy on the same char and generate quite a lot of gold selling to NPCs whilst GMing these skills. I think this'd be a lot more fun, and if you're anything like me you ought to. I GMed all the crafter skills: tailoring, carpentry, tinkering, blacksmithing.... only to barely ever use them afterward. So if it's an end unto itself, you might as well MAKE money doing it -as opposed to spending a fortune to get there.

keelonzo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by keelonzo »

^ The guide is definitely straight forward - Just GM'd today. I only GM'd because I like to be self sufficiant, instead of having to run everywhere to get eh stuff I need. Onto the other trade skills.....

Afroshacks

Post by Afroshacks »

Thank you all for your many posts and plethora of knowledge! :lol:

Just gmed carp now gm smithing on the rise!

Ta ta ta taaaaaaaaa!! :mrgreen:
The older the Bull, the Stiffer the horn...

IRC: Afroshacks

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

I decided to make a GM Blacksmith and read through this entire thread to identify the best process and try to consolidate the information in one centralized "best practices" post (from my point of view anyway) :D .

I GM'd mining before working on blacksmithy, because a GM miner will smelt more effectively, thus reducing the number of ingots needed to GM blacksmithy. IMO it is much better to have GM mining on your blacksmith, before you start working on blacksmithing, for this reason.

In the course of GM'ing mining, I was able to collect a little over 17k of iron ingots (and thousands of other color ingots that I didn't use to level up blacksmithing), giving me a great starting base (it took 17,997 ingots to level from 31 to 90). The 17k ingots I farmed while GM'ing mining saved me around 100k in gold since I didn't have to purchase those ingots. The remaining ingots that I needed I bought for 6.9 gold per ingot from a well-stocked vendor, which is a little over standard market price of 6 gold per ingot.

While working on blacksmithy, I smelted every weapon I created to recycle ingots. I hid before smithing/smelting to avoid any PKs that might want to kill me in my house.

Because I started with a character that was already semi-developed (had some advanced magery/hiding/etc.), and I don't have any additional character slots, I bought blacksmithy up to 31. Ideally though you'd want to start a character with 50 blacksmithy and skip the leveling between 31 and 50.

Note: all references to skill level are REAL skill level.

I made daggers from 31 to 35, since they were the only available weapon at that skill level.
From 35-65, I made cutlasses
From 65-85, I made short spears
From 85-98.9, I made regular spears
From 99-100, I made breast plate (plate tunic)

Here is the data on ingots used while leveling:

31-50 required 4,267 ingots (daggers and cutlasses)
50.1-60 required 2,520 ingots (cutlasses)
60.1-70 required 2,845 ingots (cutlasses and short spears)
70.1-80 required 3,429 ingots (short spears)
80.1-90 required 4,936 ingots (short spears and regular spears)
90.1-98.9 required 5,536 ingots (regular spears)
99.0-GM required 4,012 ingots (breast plate/tunic)

Total ingots from 31-GM 27,545
Total ingots from 50-GM 23,278

Further thoughts/observations:

1) Gains from making spears appeared to stop at 98.9 REAL skill, at which point I switched to breast plate. I'm not sure you can't GM just by making spears.
2) Looking back, it might have been more effective to make cutlasses up to around 70 skill instead of switching to short spears at 65. I was still gaining at a pretty good clip on cutlasses up to 65, and my success rate in making a cutlass vs. making a short spear between 65 and 70 would have been much higher. Not to mention that I was making cutlasses using 8 ingots and smelting them for between 6 and 8 ingots, so it was very efficient, using very few ingots between gains while making cutlasses. For similar reasons, it may have been effective to make short spears up to around 90, before switching to regular spears.
3) I didn't gather much data on recycling efficiency, but can confirm that at around 94 skill, I was recycling 86-87% of ingots while making spears, and that efficiency improved as my skill continued to increase and failures declined. At around 96 skill, I was recycling 90% of the ingots; at 97, around 93%; by the time I hit 99 it was around 96%.
4) Expect pretty slow skill gain at higher levels. It took me 2.5 hours to move from 96 to 97, 3 hours to move from 97 to 98, but then 98 to 99 took only about 30 minutes, and 99 to 100 took a little over an hour. Go figure.
5) In case it's not clear elsewhere, you can gain in mining by smelting INGOTS, and you can gain in blacksmithy by smelting ITEMS (weapons/armor). You will get a few random gains from smelting but not a lot, especially at higher levels.
6) I bought my tools (smith hammers) in town instead of making them myself (in town they cost 30-34 per hammer). I didn't keep track of how many hammers I used, but estimate I spent around 10k on hammers.
7) Total cost was around 70k I had to spend on around 10,000 ingots (I could have mined these to save some money) and about 10k worth of hammers (which I could have made myself), so around 80k total out of pocket. If you mine all your own ingots and make all your own tools, you can GM a smith for free :D .

Fireball
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Fireball »

Guys thanks for this update.

Can someone please change the Wiki? It is WAY out of date and I wasted a lot of time following it until I found this thread. The Wiki says plate gorgets to GM which is ridiculous as these require only ~50 skill!

Anway once I ignored that I made kryss etc and went on well. I stuck with short spears until 90 as I was still gaining well and hardly used any ingots as they all smelted back and low failure rate meant very low loss.

Switched to (long) spears just after 90 and moved to 95.1 Base skill pretty quick again with low ingot usage but here it appears to have hit a wall. not gained even .1 in well over an hour but I am trying to push through. Hope for some more gains after server restart (a little after Noon my time).

Update: Gains did continue after server restart and I gained the next 0.7 very quickly indeed. Left it running most of the afternoon and evening topping up ingots occasionally then stuck 600 ingots on him and left him running when I went to bed, just needing 1.6 to GM. This morning he is stuck at 99.0 (89.9 Base) so I don't believe it is possible to GM on spears.

Note that I GMd Mining first and bought up to 30 ish Blacksmithy initially. I have made all my own tools between this Blacksmith toon with 50 (60 shown) Tinkering and another who is about 87 tinkering. Also mined all my own ore. I definitely recommend that others start your toon with 50 Blacksmith and 50 Tinkering. Mining is quite quick to raise from 30, so a bit of a waste to start with 50. Buy it to 30. I started with 50 Carpentry and 50 Tinkering for some reason!

I've no idea how many ingots I used but I smelted all the way and with GM mining since about 85 Blacksmithy, I was smelting back to ingots as efficiently as possible.

I did Daggers to 45+, gorgets, cutlass, kryss, a few katana, short spear from 75 I think all the way to 90 because I was using very few ingots and still gaining steadily, then normal spears 90 to 99. Now breastplates for the last bit.

Update: OK I'm done! 99.0 to 100.0 didn't tale long but it used over 4000 ingots, maybe nearly 5000 even with smelting back to ingots. This is mainly because each breast plate takes 25 ingots and so you lose a lot when you fail. The last 0.1 took the longest :)

I added an if{} statement to the macro to test for system message "100.0" and stop the macro when that occurred so I didn't waste ingots.

Thanks everyone, for the advice given here. I hope my experience helps to re-enforce the valuable data given in the later posts to this thread.

FB
<@BoomlandJenkins> I don't favor anyone here, I hate all of you equally as much as the next player :)

JessieKJepsen
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by JessieKJepsen »

My husband has been following the wiki and he has used 55k ingots and is only at 85 smith. He seems a bit more happy following this guide and is frustrated with the wiki on smithing.

idk if I could do smithing.. ZzZzzZzzzz

Kasper_Valentine

Post by Kasper_Valentine »

Wahey, GM on a fail !

I followed these instructions...
Here is what I made to get to GM:

45 - 65: Cutlass
65 - 85: Short Spear
85 - 95: Plate Gorgets
95 - GM: Plate Gloves
And much like Carpentry, it took three and a half days of straight macroing to reach Grandmaster.

Unfortunately I didn't keep track of my ingot usage but I'd hazard a guess at it being around the forty to fifty thousand mark. Nevetheless I just wanted to pop in and say thank you for the guidance. Image

Scooby187

Post by Scooby187 »

I have been smithing for awhile at 48.9,with no gaines,whats up?

Return to “Guides”