Guide : Blacksmithy Guide

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Theograd

Re: Guide : Blacksmithy Guide

Post by Theograd »

Yup, that's the reason. Happened to me. I was just making plate gorgets, and a restock point of 50 worked fine for me. Best of luck to you!

Oderus Urungus

Post by Oderus Urungus »

How accurate is this thread?
Just curious because I see people saying 35k ingots and some sayin 55k ingots
The thread was started in 08 but seems to have a couple recent posts.
And when you say how many ingots you used does that mean what you had stocked, not including the x amount you get back from smelting the items? Or..?
Kind of a confusin question but ya =\

Been minin for a while now kinda goin insane hoardin ore =\
Also smelting items is that mining based or blacksmith based?
I mean Items not ore, like a katana..

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

When I GMed blacksmithy I didn't do what was economical, meaning creating the item that was lowest in cost that was comparatively close to my skill level. I did that when I was around that skill level but I found the gains way too slow.

If you can afford the cost of the ingots, let others do the work for you or mine them yourself. Hitting the high mark in the way of gains is way faster. It all depends really on whether you want to spend alot of gold or time mining, and in the case of the latter is time consuming in itself.

A good deal concerning this game is experimenting with what is best for you. Alot of time has been put in by alot of people here in varying degrees to uncover alot of things which even during era was not commonly known or understood. Alot of tricks to the trade have been recently discovered for the everyday player has more access now to do so more then ever before.

I encourage everyone to delve in deep and fiddle with anything and everything they can here. You shouldn't be afraid to go off the wall and carry this masterpiece to places it has never been before. It's limitations are bound only to your imagination.

Find what works, and see if there are ways that will make it work better for you. Research the places where people have gone with their ideas and tactics, and see if there is anyplace you can take it further from there.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Oderus Urungus wrote:How accurate is this thread?
Just curious because I see people saying 35k ingots and some sayin 55k ingots
The thread was started in 08 but seems to have a couple recent posts.
And when you say how many ingots you used does that mean what you had stocked, not including the x amount you get back from smelting the items? Or..?
Kind of a confusin question but ya =\

Been minin for a while now kinda goin insane hoardin ore =\
Also smelting items is that mining based or blacksmith based?
I mean Items not ore, like a katana..
I GM'd about a month ago, basically its like this.

35-55 Cutlass. Start throwing in short spears around 48.
55-85 Katanas/Short Spears. I found katanas a little better for gains but short spears use 2 less ingots.
84-96 Plate Gorgets.
96-GM Plate Gloves.

Used around 53k ingots, probably would have been around 45k but I was smelting with about 86 mining for about half of the skill gain. When people say 50k ingots that is total you will need from mining or buying them, not including the resmelted ingots. Its probably about 80k ingots total if you include smelting stuff.

Smelting is mining based. You want to GM mining before starting smithing, at GM mining you will get back around 2/3rds of the ingots used to make an item.
?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Ask yourself if smelting the items you are making is more or less then the cost of buying them in bulk if you were to sell the crafted items to npcs. If smelting gives you 4 ingots but the item sells for more then 28 gold for example its better to sell to the npc and buy in bulk from a player ran vendor.

Most player ran vendors sell bulk ingots anywhere from 6-7 gold a piece.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Pointless waste of time imo. Lugging items back and forth too town, all your doing is upping your ingot cost overall, even if your making a small profit.

Unless you dont own a house and are smithing in town, its a waste of time imo. And what your not taking into account is that out of 1000 ingots, I would get about 700 back, from that 700 I would get about 450 back, from that 450 about 300, from that 300 about 100. Thats far, far more efficent than wasting time running round smiths.
?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Why is it a waste of time if you are continually getting more by selling while when you smelt you continually get less? In GMing smithing do you know how much gold you threw away by smelting everything as your ingot levels got smaller and smaller...

I didnt even mess with my house forge until after I GMed in town for this reason.

The only time I smelted in the macro was when I was feeling lazy...or training afk.

Oderus Urungus

Post by Oderus Urungus »

Ahh I had mining locked at 65 so I could get all iron ingots
Gues ill give it a go when I get gm mining
Some reason smelting items seemd like smith based to me

Selling to npc was to much of a hassle they only pay so much and it gets less each time, though probably still profitable but annoying.. Traveling to smith shops selling until it runs dry

thanks for the tips

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Why is it a waste of time if you are continually getting more by selling while when you smelt you continually get less? In GMing smithing do you know how much gold you threw away by smelting everything as your ingot levels got smaller and smaller...

I didnt even mess with my house forge until after I GMed in town for this reason.

The only time I smelted in the macro was when I was feeling lazy...or training afk.
1000 Ingots is essentially 2000 ingots with smelting. You did not make 12k from those non exceptional 28gp items, and in the extra time it took you to GM, I farmed 10x what you saved? Waste of time, inefficient in my opinion.

Here's the math I could not be bothered to do last night, using katanas as the item in question

1000/8 = 125-25(failures)= 100*23 = 2300

I have been extremely generous here and taken only 20% of the ingots as failures, and used exceptional prices for items. You have used 6k worth of ingots to make 2.3k profit. TO make back 1k ingots you would need to do this 3 times. So for every 3k ingots your gaining 1k.

Brackets are ingot value in gold. Again I have been overly generous towards favouring your theory, the remaining ammount of ingots = 2/3rds return from smelting, it actually a little higher in practice.[failures already removed as it got to messy but i took 20% at each =]

1000[6k]-500[3k]=500[3k]-150[900]=250[1.5k]-100[600]=125[750]-30[180]

Out of the initial 6k value of the ingots, you have gained 900 ingots by smelting, a value of 5.4k every 1k ingots. 5.4 x 3 = 16.2, or 2.7k ingots, a gold value of 16.2k. So whats more efficient and cheaper?

Mathmatics dont lie.
?

Oderus Urungus

Post by Oderus Urungus »

wow most ingots consumed is at 98
doin plate gloves
Its like a brick wall lol
was thinkin I was gonna come out on top and not use as many ingots but its lookin like this is where they all sink

nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

Factoring in that you can buy ingots at 6gp is pretty generous. More like 7gp on average.

It's stupid to sell items back rather than smelt them down for more ingots.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

you forgot to add in the failures as well even at 2000 ingots you are not going to get half that back from smelting as you waste resources in creating them. Also it does depend on what you are making on how much you will get back. Armor will give you back more in effect for cost then they would in smelting them. If you get 80 for a piece that you would get 8 ingots back for its better to just sell and save for bulk ingots. You are definately going to be mining anyway.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Already stated I factored in ingot loss at each resmelt due to failure. Just admit your wrong, by a pretty large margin.
?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

How many people GMed mining before they start Blacksmithing?
Most people take a break and semi afk blacksmithing after mining for so long.
If you are working them both at the same time like most do, its better to sell them no doubt.

I just made a ringmail tunic not even on MY GM smith but on my crafter tinker with only 39 BS and sold it for 109 gold a ringmail tunic takes 18 ingots to make even at GM mining you would get 9 ingots tops from smelting. I just practically sold 9 ingots for 10 gp a piece. Let the people at home see for themselves.

Sometimes the seemingly fastest easiest less resource using way isnt the best way.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

PrincessPeach,PrincessPeach,PrincessPeach,PrincessPeach,PrincessPeach,PrincessPeach,PrincessPeach,PrincessPeach,PrincessPeach,PrincessPeach,PrincessPeach,PrincessPeach, :lol:

Just kidding bumped for edit

Return to “Guides”