Guide : Blacksmithy Guide

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
ClowN

Re: Guide : Blacksmithy Guide

Post by ClowN »

a Red Eminem wrote:So I'm guessing that the way to go is to gather all ingots up, around 30k and then start to macro smithing? So keep mining until you get desired ingot amount to begin smithing?

Or should I gather 1-2k ingots then start smithing? Which is the way to do it most efficiently?

Thank you,
a Red Eminem

i would go ahead and mine up all the ingots you need first before doing smithing. you can macro smithing unattended, but mining is a pain in the ass. just gather 30k or so and put them all in a box inside your house next to a forge/anvil. use your restock agent in razor to pull them out as needed. should be GM in no time once u have the ingots.

a Red Eminem

Post by a Red Eminem »

ClowN, can you write up an abridged macro for that unattended smithing?
a Red Eminem

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Here it is using the alatar method (katanas and gorgets only)

Start
50 real skil Smith
50 real skill mining
100 str
Smelt everything

I went to 84.9 (displayed skill) with katanas (could of went more but i was out of my current stock of inggots so i figured it was a good change point)
84.9-100 plate gorgs.

Total inggots used 30,600 (+ or -)

Dont get discouraged with gorgs in the upper 90's. I noticed a would get .1 skill with 700-800 inggots in the the 99's but then the next 700 or so inggots would yield .5 or more gain. It was hot cold with one or two walls of 500 or more inggots with no gains. Just push through them.

Alatar said he did this in around 28k and i was around 30k. I doubt there is a cheaper method than Kats and Gorgs.

Cromwell
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Cromwell »

I'm having some trouble finding an item which gives good skill gain at 41.1 shown. Any tips?
"The Finest Arms, Armor, and Service. UBB."

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Cromwell wrote:I'm having some trouble finding an item which gives good skill gain at 41.1 shown. Any tips?
Crom depending on your build it is much cheaper to raise carp/tinker/tailor or even bowcraft than it is smithing

Always start a crafter with 50 smith and build the others from 30. I dont know if your char is too far along for this advice or not.

I dont know what to smith at < 50.

Goto stratics and look for something that has required skill in the high 20's and low inggots. Try and find something close to your displayed skill to smith for best gains.

Teelah

Post by Teelah »

Seems I've run into a problem.

I see most people saying they used a total of around ~35k ingots.

I'm at 60 Real Smithing. I've burned through about 1.5k ingots for a gain of 2.4 skill. If my skill were to go up at a flat rate... which I know it won't (averaged from my last smithing venture)... that's 625 ingots per skill point... or a total 31250 ingots from 50 to 100 <--- Stating that since it will take more ingots at high skill levles... seems I'll need around 45-50k ingots total.

I was making Katana's the entire time. Sold the Katana's after I made them.

So my question is this. 35k base ingots (before smelting) or 35k total ingots (after resmelting)

As well. Clarification on making the short spears... 65 real Smithy or "shown" Smithy?

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Teelah wrote:Seems I've run into a problem.

I see most people saying they used a total of around ~35k ingots.

I'm at 60 Real Smithing. I've burned through about 1.5k ingots for a gain of 2.4 skill. If my skill were to go up at a flat rate... which I know it won't (averaged from my last smithing venture)... that's 625 ingots per skill point... or a total 31250 ingots from 50 to 100 <--- Stating that since it will take more ingots at high skill levles... seems I'll need around 45-50k ingots total.

I was making Katana's the entire time. Sold the Katana's after I made them.

So my question is this. 35k base ingots (before smelting) or 35k total ingots (after resmelting)

As well. Clarification on making the short spears... 65 real Smithy or "shown" Smithy?
Its 30k base.... but when you smelt that 30 K it probably is over 60...

Use 8 inggots, make a kat, smelt it and you get 4 back. So you really only used 4 inggots. This basically doubles your stock. Now im not taking into account fails and different smelting rates but i think it is fair to say 30k inggots = 50-60k with smelting.

So, you need to decide what you want to do. 30k Inggots is roughly 210K, will selling the items you make pay for the difference of 210k to 420k? If not, i suggest you just save up the 30k you need and smelt your way to gm.

Slimeball Jasper

Post by Slimeball Jasper »

a Red Eminem wrote:ClowN, can you write up an abridged macro for that unattended smithing?

its pretty easy...

[if
ignots < 50
restock 2
end if]

use item: tongs (by type)
pause 500
absolute target (ignots, dont let them run out)
pause 500
menu _________
pause 500
menu _________
pause 12000

then put in your smelt macro and
target by type - katanna
pause 1500.

Maleficia

Post by Maleficia »

I would only add that you would need to set up the restock agent for this, as well as play with the pauses. I can get away with a 10000 pause (10 seconds in Razor). Also make quite a few tongs (or smith tool of choice) and change the line to target by type. I am not familiar with a location where access to a bank box and an anvil are both present, so a house and chests would be necessary.

a Red Eminem

Post by a Red Eminem »

I don't think there is an IF statement for "If Ingots". Can you please specify the first part of your abridged macro?

Thank you,
a Red Eminem

Slimeball Jasper

Post by Slimeball Jasper »

a Red Eminem wrote:I don't think there is an IF statement for "If Ingots". Can you please specify the first part of your abridged macro?

Thank you,
you have to set a counter for 'ignots'

so you go into counters/display, and create a new counter, set 'ignots' and select an ignot (same way that you would get potions to show at the top so it can count how many potions you have.) , then go into razor and add "If (drop down menu.... ignots (now that you added the counter" ... and you will have to make a hotkey for restock agent so you can use it in the macro.... ask around in irc im too lazy to explain this further.

play around , i learned everything i know in razor by playing around with it, you cant expect everyone to hold your hand through everything.

a Red Eminem

Post by a Red Eminem »

Slimeball Jaspar,

I don't expect everyone to hold my hand through everything, but I do have to go to the bathroom, can you hold THIS for me.

Forgetaboutit
a Red Eminem

oddball

Post by oddball »

Real quick question about mining, this is my first BS in UO, I mined from 50 to gm and didnt smelt anything should i smelt all the ore at once or do it singular, and if so how would I got about making a macro to do it singular?

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

If your already Gm mining that you shouldnt* have any issues smelting the ore. BUT just in case I'd suggest break it all down to lower numbers, cause I have on a few off chances gotten unlucky and I believe I failed at smelt regular iron ore at gm mining...could be wrong but I'd rather be safe then sorry...maybe just split your ore pile in quarters or something.

Senses

Post by Senses »

just make a macro that removes one ore from a box, then smelts it, then picks up the ingot and drops it back in the box. Its a simple macro and since the game doesnt distinguish between a shadow iron ore and an agapite ore, it will do them all one at a time while you go play with your cat. Of course once your gm you can just do the easy ore in bulk, but this macro will be great for valorite forever.

Return to “Guides”