Guide: How I'm surviving as a newbie

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
whoa its shan

Guide: How I'm surviving as a newbie

Post by whoa its shan »

So I've been playing for about 4 days, so I figured I'll write a VERY short guide on how I've survived. The two most important things in the game are probably skill and money (obviously). The problem with it is, many skills require you to have money.

Please feel free to add to this guide by the way.

I began the game by creating a mage, but realizing I can't actually gain magery unless I have money to buy massive amounts of reagants. So I decided to create a bard. I GM'd music in one or two days through macros and my provocation is at about 80. When you reach some sort of level where you can provoke relatively successfully, you'll need something to keep yourself healed. I picked magery so I can stay healed when I provoke in my hunting areas. If you decide to go to a hunting area, AVOID AREAS WITH PK's (destard lvl 1, covetous lvl 1, shame lvl 1, britain graveyard, etc).

I unfortunately still get PK'd quite often, but I'm hanging in there. I go to a special hunting spot of mine and I've raked in about 1500 gold which is staying relatively stable (after buying and spending), while I continue to gain skills.

To avoid PK's, get a rune to whatever bank you may see fit and set a macro to recall. Be prepared to run/recall at any time possible or prepare to die. I carry a rune with me and get ready to disappear at any time. Also, PRETTY IMPORTANT, remember not to stay at your hunting spot for long periods of time because if you get PK'd the player killer is happy and successful or receiving your loot probably without a challenge.

So remember, be prepared for anything because some people love killing the new comers. Feel free to add anything to this guide, thanks for reading. Peace.

ClowN

Re: Guide: How I'm surviving as a newbie

Post by ClowN »

just 1 piece of advice id like to add, iv found that hiding is a life saver for bards. macro to 100 hiding and every time you provoke something, hide afterward. that way if a PK happens to come by, he may not even realize you are there.

Cromwell
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Cromwell »

Although I've never done it here, here is some useful advice:

While traveling through an area infested with PKs cast a recall and run while you have the target. This way when you see a PK it will take you very little time to disappear.
"The Finest Arms, Armor, and Service. UBB."

Deadiam

Post by Deadiam »

I agree with the bard for money but if you really want to jumpstart the money-train make your bard into a t-hunter. I got my T-hunter up to 80 cartography and 90 lockingpicking so far for roughly about 20k, sell them maps back and cartography you can almost break even. I ending up buying 10 lvl 3 maps for 25k and it turned into about 85k that was with selling EVERYTHING from the chest. It is real simple, silver serps seem to be the roughest thing you come across, and tahts not even from the chest spawns. To be honest it was the quickest 60k ever made, did it in about 90 min.

Seems to be also pretty safe from PK's seeing as all the action is in random spots in the wild, so safe in that aspect. If you need any help or want to tag along and see how easy it is let me know, be glad to take you.

Joshua Lee

Post by Joshua Lee »

ClowN wrote:just 1 piece of advice id like to add, iv found that hiding is a life saver for bards. macro to 100 hiding and every time you provoke something, hide afterward. that way if a PK happens to come by, he may not even realize you are there.
Yeah I agree I always use hiding. And I use it when I bank stuff as well. Even though I hate how the number of thieves have dramatically increased, I never get anything stolen because of hiding. It's always good to provo and hit hide. And make sure you macro recall it's a lot safer than just manually hitting recall. There are some pks that are nice and will just take your gold and valuables and res you and leave you rune, but there are some assholes that will kill and take everything. So it better to make sure you never die, there is skill involved with it. If there's one thing I learned about uo over the years is that it doesn't matter what you GM or what your skills are when it comes down to it all that matters is your game skill.
A mirror reflecting a mirror that shines through a prism of paradoxes after shocking breakthroughs that elevate to a higher level of consciousness that radiates the soul energy being burned with passion.

Vanathros

Post by Vanathros »

Joshua Lee wrote:
ClowN wrote:just 1 piece of advice id like to add, iv found that hiding is a life saver for bards. macro to 100 hiding and every time you provoke something, hide afterward. that way if a PK happens to come by, he may not even realize you are there.
Yeah I agree I always use hiding. And I use it when I bank stuff as well. Even though I hate how the number of thieves have dramatically increased, I never get anything stolen because of hiding. It's always good to provo and hit hide. And make sure you macro recall it's a lot safer than just manually hitting recall. There are some pks that are nice and will just take your gold and valuables and res you and leave you rune, but there are some assholes that will kill and take everything. So it better to make sure you never die, there is skill involved with it. If there's one thing I learned about uo over the years is that it doesn't matter what you GM or what your skills are when it comes down to it all that matters is your game skill.

Ah...though I am new to this shard. I can tell there are people who dislike Murderers. People became Reds for a reason, they slaughtered, killed, and maimed everyone they could, looted everything valuable, and walked off as if nothing happened. The world of Britannia is an open world, if you get murdered, tis ok to be disappointed and angry, but caling a Red an asshole makes you look like the true asshole. The point of becoming Red is to murder Blues [Innocents, highly doubt most of the Blues are innocent]. And usually when a Red loots everything from your corpse is because he truly needs the items. But skilled Reds will slay you, grab anything worth taking, and maybe res your ass. Hiding would very little help against a veteran Red, as he/she would Wis Quas [Reveal] the area and find you.

whoa its shan

Post by whoa its shan »

Actually -- if you hide and the PK is casting reveal, use that as your advantage to cast recall right away.

Return to “Guides”