Tank Mage vs top tier dexxer strategy

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Scienter

Tank Mage vs top tier dexxer strategy

Post by Scienter »

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3
Thank you,

-Scienter
"The Great One"
FT$
PM me with reflect bracelets or charged halberds!
New Vent Info:
IP:uosa.puddleboy.com
port:4490
Need a channel? Fill out the information here: http://secondage.puddleboy.com

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Tank Mage vs top tier dexxer strategy

Post by RaveGreen »

Although these are well beyond my skill level - I need to focus on the basics... :lol: I think I learned/was reminded of some things here, thanks!

Looking forward to the team field strategy video. Also think that a "newbie" or "coming back to uo pvp after 10+ years" type video would be nice. I know there are threads about some of this stuff, but watching a video is always more enjoyable than reading :wink:

Thanks for taking the time to do this and share!

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Still finding time to watch these on something other than my phone, but I'd like to thank Scienter for including me in this. Turned out good man, and you're doing the players of this shard a great service by imparting your knowledge of the game.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Great info for a noob with no pvp skills like myself :D

Thanks!
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Grifty McGrift

Post by Grifty McGrift »

Awesome videos.

Where are you two dueling?
"They used to call me Grifty McGrift. I wrote the book on flim-flammin"

Scienter

Post by Scienter »

We're dueling in 3rd level Wrong. I was right to post this in two different sections, the other thread is getting to be a bit too much.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback guys. I have a few statements to make and questions I am hoping to get answered.
RaveGreen wrote:Although these are well beyond my skill level - I need to focus on the basics... :lol: I think I learned/was reminded of some things here, thanks!

Looking forward to the team field strategy video. Also think that a "newbie" or "coming back to uo pvp after 10+ years" type video would be nice. I know there are threads about some of this stuff, but watching a video is always more enjoyable than reading :wink:

Thanks for taking the time to do this and share!
Thanks for the positive post. I'm taking these videos in a series in the same direction George Lucas did with Star Wars, hah. I'm starting with episode 4 and moving in an odd directon.

I have a quick question for you, would it benefit you if I were to make a videos on throwing purple pots and halberd timing? I want to eventually consolidate all of the videos I make into one thread with all of the relevant tank mage pvp information that I can basically think of in youtube.

Where I stand now is as follow:

-Fundamentals such as tabbing/Hally timing/Fast Cast
-Hotkeys/Purple Potions/Razor Tricks and options
-1 v 1 tank mage dueling/strategy
-1 v 1 Tank mage vs Dexxer Strategy....Check this one off.
-Team Fielding/Strategy

Am I missing anything that you guys can think of to fill in? I'm aware the terminology I used is very general, but just assume I'm more likely not to cover a certain topic in the list given.

Thanks again for the feedback it's a good feeling that the right people are getting reached.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Hi Scienter -

I'm not too good at it, but I think I at least understand halberd cycling/timing. Purple pot throwing and many combat related macros, etc. is mostly all foreign to me. I don't remember doing this at all back in the day...

Personally I feel that anything intending to be instructional is beneficial to the community. Obviously you're going to get a lot of people who know how to do what you are showing or even criticize how you are doing it. However, I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of people (like me) that come back to UO after many years away that would benefit from the videos. It is just another alternative to searching the web or the forums for text that most likely won't be what you are looking for, or will take forever to weed through. Ideally you'll get a sticky thread where all your video's can be or a link to your YouTube channel 8)

I think it might have been in the other thread (in general discussion) that someone mentioned being more specific or even overlaying some text to help describe/show what you are doing or talking about. What this could look like is while you have the video paused and are describing something - put your main points up in text or maybe show a screenshot of your purple-pot macro, etc.

Sorry for walls of text, just realized how much I was typing.... :lol:

Anyways, thanks again for the video(s)!

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

Missy B

Post by Missy B »

this is all good stuff. ive never really used mind blast before. i didnt think it did much damage plus its level 5 so uses less mana.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

You shouldn't macro purple potions at least the targeting, you have a good chance of blowing off your fingers :lol:
Time and distance is relative to when you should throw it, but you can synch priming it with casting spells. I would use 5th circle or lower though, 6th circle pushes it too close especially when you include last target in your macro...it's better to target manually. Also if the guy comes right in on you when he sees your numbers ticking being he is in armor you might take the hit too and most likely worse. In casting 6th circle you got less then a second to freak and run :lol: Seriously in my opinion fireball and potion (medieval cocktail) or even lightning is probably a better combo especially if you follow up with the hally and especially if they may have reflect items on and you are unsure if it will come back at you but still want to risk maybe causing some damage. If it does come back you got a little window in order to cast big if they do have MR items.

A dexxer doing this while changing from a two handed to one handed weapon or vice versa is better off, you would do this when you know your opponent is low on mana and want to get a big hit in or lay in to him. If your stamina is good you should be able to pull an instahit priming the potion in a macro that hits the potion inbetween changing weapons. Again you should manually target rather then depend on a macro to do so.

That is if nothing was changed in being able to throw pots with two handers. This would be the only time I would change weapons like that really at least concerning polearms because they are so slow. Yeah you can do big damage using them but for a mage instahit is better because they can precast, hit, then automatically go to small circle and do it again and it works because spells always hit. For a dexxer the best you can do is switch back to your faster weapon or try to instahit again and by that time the caster is already casting again. That's primarily what caused Mally to lose the fight in my opinion because he was experimenting with that. Yeah you might get lucky, but its a gamble.

Big weapons like that to me are better in group fights for dexxers when you can synch attacks or when using DP of course, then its a whole other ball game because you just bought time in them trying to cure. If you want to fight like a mage use potions and poisons to back it up....or 7th circle if you got the time, mana, and magery to do so (except in the case of the eval dexxer where you can cast anything and be effective).

You shouldn't do it often though poisons and potions aren't reliable enough to be effective all the time wait for the right opportunity to give it a shot such as right at the get go to put them on the defensive or when you know you are getting the upper hand and going in for the kill.

You notice a lot of dexxers avoid heavy armor because it drops their dex, and it's primarily because most have higher intelligence then 25 and strength at 100. Now I want you to realize something, you make up for lost hp in a higher ar especially if you include parry. Dropping Strength may at first sound like suicide if you think conventionally, but AR is in fact hps you always have each physical hit you endure that protect any hp you would lose otherwise.

Mally in his other thread said dex over 91 is overkill, well it is if you don't want to trade dex for more hit points. A female character in full plate armor from head to toe at 100 dex supped up on pots will have a max stamina of 105. Now you just added permanent hp in adding to your AR you wouldn't normally get even more if you had a shield. Now in realization of that you can lower both your strength and your dex to 95 and with a mage hat be able to cast 7th circle or in the case of being mind blasted to death boosted your intel without sacrificing your hp you picked up in parry and plate and still be able to swing fast even if your AR is through the roof. Yes, magery knows no AR, but when was the last time you were killed by a bard? The tank is dependent on his weaponry. (this is why I choose a studded gorget because with the mage hat my dex is at 91 so I can go in in full plate opening up with 7th circle and hally then immediately switching to broadsword and shield while I prep a bandage and don my helmet, change to plate gorget and eat something). Don't look at it like losing hit points think about it like gaining 2 hp in each area and in every swing that hits you compared to chainmail...not to mention what you get in parry. At 100 strength that number is boosted by 7 but then again you risk more damage from mindblast and it's impossible to cast 7th circle without sacrificing your swing speed. It's preference really.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Return to “Guides”