Getting started...

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Narcu

Getting started...

Post by Narcu »

Hello, First of I'd just like to say this is my first time playing a UO game and I wanted to play on a Shard that shows and plays how the game used to be from all the story's I have heard and so I found this server.

From the research I have done I should make a money making character first? The two main ones I took interest in are the "Bard" and "lumberjack/fetching"

The concept of getting NPC's to kill each other for me to loot them after sounds very fun so out of those two the Bard really confuses me there are so many templates Online and I have no idea witch to start with... Hence why I am here. Can anyone supply me a link of a really good a detailed Bard Guide? Or if you prefer throw one together for me any of the two would be much appreciated.

Thank you for taking time to read this I'm sure this is a dumb question of sorts and if this post is in the wrong place any admin please feel free to move it. Thank you

JBURNS
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Getting started...

Post by JBURNS »

welcome! Although this game is old it is still the most dynamic and socially complex game I have ever played. There is a huge learning curve but there is a reason most of us have been playing this game for over a decade :). A bard would probably be your best bet to get going...it is relatively quick to train and can make decent cash. For some ideas on what skills to train and how to train them, you should check out the master guide list. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54496

Narcu

Post by Narcu »

Thank you very much for the link and your time :)

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

Make sure to stay actively involved on the forums and/or irc. You will receive a lot of help and advice from both the fore-mentioned arenas of discussion.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Mortigan

Post by Mortigan »

Here's a quick and abridged guide to figuring out a path to wealth and success in UO with brand new accounts:

1) make a bard - start with 50 magery as a given, other starting skills are debatable. Macro up provocation, music, and hiding. Beg someone to give you enough money (10k) to get started, making 10k from killing skeletons is terribly slow. Buy a full spellbook, reagents, and runes to monster spots. Destard has dragons and drakes (good loot). Fire Temple has Dragons, Drakes, and Daemons (also good loot). I like these spots and that's how I got my start.

2) Make a tamer. As fast as bards are at moneys, tamers are just the bees knees. The issue is that a bard can start with 50 mage/provo, macro up music overnight, and be killing dragons the next day. A tamer takes a number of solid training days to become useful, and you need enough money in the first place to build magery to gate your pets around. While you are on acct 1 with your bard making money, follow the taming guide to make a tamer using accounts 2 and 3. Most taming can be done semi-afk, you just have to check back in every 5-10 minutes or so and lure a few more monsters to macro on.

3) Tame dragons, use tamer to kill stuff even faster than your bard. You just won UO's "kill NPC monsters" game.

4) Try your hand at PVP. You have money now, so go make a tank mage, a thief (not a dumb townie kind), and a couple dexxers.

each of the above steps is covered in different guides already, but start with a bard for easy money and in the meantime make a tamer for ridiculous money. Any time I feel like making a new character, I take my dragons out for an evening or two and make enough gold to build whatever char I want to 7x.

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

Mortigan’s advice is likely spot on.

What I would add, is make some friends and find a good guild. The value in this game is the social aspect. Find a good group of guys/gals, and literally everything else will fall into place. The guild members will start giving you so much stuff to help you get going, that the next time someone joins the guild, you’ll be the one tossing a bunch of stuff the new guys/gals way. You’ll have a knowledge base you can draw upon which is invaluable. When you need to learn the ropes, there will be people there to take you out and protect/teach you everything you need to survive and thrive in the game.

Plus it's nice the first few days to be able to talk to people while you are provoking the animals in the moonglow zoo, heh heh.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Grifty McGrift

Post by Grifty McGrift »

Welcome to UOSA!
"They used to call me Grifty McGrift. I wrote the book on flim-flammin"

Return to “Guides”