Lockpicking

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Eastwood

Re: Lockpicking

Post by Eastwood »

You will have a higher "real skill" of lockpicking if you drop your dex to 10, (or keep it at 10), and raise LP to 95 on GM tinker box.

I originally macroed LP to 95, but I had 70 dex. I turned dex down, macroed int up to 100, and even tho I was not stat capped, the game dropped my dex to 10.

Even while I had LP locked in the up position, my shown skill dropped due to the dex dropping, to 94.5. I then went back to the GM tinker box and got it back up to 95 shown, but this time the real was 94.9, which will mean a few less dungeon chests to pick.

I got my dex back to 25 in about 10 minutes of snooping.

Also, I would love to see a good guide on lock picking from 95-100. Something tells me that people keep this info kind of close to the vest because in my short experience with dungeon chest picking, it's a pain in the ass, and there's a lack of level 4 chests to go around. I think most GM lockpickers know they have a skill worth being proud of, that is very rewarding, and decide that we should all go through the journey with minimal hand holding.

I'd still love to know more about it:)

A good hint for fellow master lock pickers, there are some rune libraries with very comprehensive dungeon chest locations marked.
Catskills 97-99

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

Eastwood wrote:there are some rune libraries with very comprehensive dungeon chest locations marked.
Where abouts?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I know of 2: DarkRadiance's keep (Vesper Inn Rune Lib) and C^V's Rune Lib in the Windmere Woods.

Eastwood, there is no trick to it, go find one of the 14 or so lvl4 chests, hope they're not picked, pick them (empty them, please!), and move on to the next one. Rinse, repeat as necessary (and A LOT is going to be necessary).

Also, there are mixed reviews about the plate gloves issue. Wear them if you like, can't hurt.

You can tell lvl 4 chests from the others because they are the only chests that do not contain arrows or bolts among their loot.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

Pirul wrote:Also, there are mixed reviews about the plate gloves issue. Wear them if you like, can't hurt.
whats the plate gloves issue?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Apparently wearing plate gloves makes it harder to pick a lock, so you have a better chance of getting a gain. I have not seen any hard evidence for this one way or the other.

... however, I have used plate gloves while dungeon picking, and either, I got lucky and hit a gain streak or it really does work. Your milage may vary, and I do not claim you will have the same luck. In other words, try at your own risk.

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

Pirul wrote:Apparently wearing plate gloves makes it harder to pick a lock, so you have a better chance of getting a gain.
Is this one of those myths like eating gives you better gains? Any way to get some evidence on this?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

*shrugs*

Mad Max
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mad Max »

Ok I have been macroing lockpicking and I am at 94.0 (real) but also I am at 95.0 (unreal skill). So should I keep macroing until I am at 95 real or is it already at the max it can macro to?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

No, you're capped.

Macroing LPing will cap at 95 shown skill, so unless you drop your DEX drastically, you will not be able to macro more real skill up.

Remember if you have 100% chance of succedeeing then you won't gain skill. I bet you have not broken a lockpick in a while, and you unlock the box every single time, so no more gains macroing from here on out.

Mad Max
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mad Max »

Ok thanks man.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

maybe casting clumsy :lol: Wearing a mgic wizard's hat to drop dex down maybe?

Plate gloves because they drop dex droogie :wink:
A full suit would drop you more

So carry a suit with you when you pop those level fours.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Kinda hard to stealth around in full plate :(

Downs

Post by Downs »

Not at all. Get naked, use stealth, equip plate
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Of course you aren't going to stealth in full plate...Now that's just silly :lol:
Make a dress Macro for it right before you start picking the lock.

A magical Wizards hat drops dex more then a plate helm so full plate and a magical wizards hat and you should drop your dex quite a bit.

I don't know how far you'll go macroing off a GM box this way especially if your dex is low to start with...someone try it and get back with us.

I think you need at least one dex after the penalties are administered for wearing plate...as far as I remember. Otherwise I am pretty sure you can't equip it.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Downs wrote:Not at all. Get naked, use stealth, equip plate
Doh!! It takes a professional stealther to think of this. :P

Archaic, your method should also help. Will try it later.