Resisting Spells by Hiring Mages

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Resisting Spells by Hiring Mages

Post by Rammar »

ghosty wrote:I thought gaingin resist in town was impossible???
It is, if and only if both the caster and target are in guard zone. If either (or both obv.) of them are outside gzone, you are eligible for gains.

Samorite
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Samorite »

I am on the third toon with resist and the only way I have found is flame strike out of guard zone. takes me 3 solid days with two casting and a friend healing. also when you hit the 90's the casters do need gm eval as the gains pretty much stop with out it

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Eval makes no difference to resist gains.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

blister

Post by blister »

Are you sure eval doesn't help for resist gains?

I keep seeing everywhere that it does.. I just got GM eval on all my mages to work magery resist.. I wouldn't have done that if I didn't need eval :)

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Damage dealt does impact resist gains, but my experience has been that Eval doesn't change the damage dealt enough to have an impact.

That is... let's say you need to do 5+ damage with a spell to have it give a chance of a resist gain. A 0-Eval Energy Bolt might deal 10-36 damage, or 12-48 with 100 Eval. But, even without eval, every roll of the 0-Eval Energy Bolt is over the threshold of 5 damage anyways.

Save bandages/reagents/mana; GM Resist and Magery BEFORE Eval.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I've GMed resist many times on this shard and re-GMed it from taking stat loss, I tried using both characters with no eval and characters that had eval and recording their reagant usage. In some of the tests, no eval beat eval to GM resist. So I would say it has no effect.

It did have an effect on OSI, but skill gain on this shard is not accurate to OSI. It's mostly RunUO default (resist follows the exact same pattern as any RunUO shard).

There is a patch on UOSA saying that damage dealt effects resist gains, but that was aimed toward the MS/CL group circle gains.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

nightshark wrote: There is a patch on UOSA saying that damage dealt effects resist gains, but that was aimed toward the MS/CL group circle gains.
I haven't re-gm'd resist enough since the patch to have enough data, but from the couple times I have it appears to (now) be better to skill up to the mid-90s with no eval, then finish with GM eval. The difference appears to be a few hundred - 1k FS, so nothing I'd stress on.

It did greatly impact gaining in groups off MS/CL for sure though; that sounds like it actually caps out well prior to gm no matter how many you cast.