Resisting Spells by Hiring Mages

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Pirul

Re: Resisting Spells by Hiring Mages

Post by Pirul »

Sorry to say, but Wind is like the paramount place to find mages you can hire. You can find some in Magincia, but doubtful you'll find so many. Ocllo and Moonglow might have a couple if you're lucky also. Everywhere else is pretty much a crapshot.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Deziredvisions

Post by Deziredvisions »

Loathed wrote:started a new toon, in 5 hrs went from 0 to 97 resist

# of WW used- about 100
this can be done with the guard zone or even without. Either way you usually instantly die when they all cast even if you're in guard zone =)
100 WW? Really? OMG the hassle of going through trying to tame, rezing, waiting for another, etc. and setting up boat and/or procedure to make this possible. I think I would rather keep my sanity by just buying FS regs and setting up a macro to cast on my self and just check on it here and there, (while enjoying and living real life) come back hours later and be GM. yea may take longer, but I still have my sanity :)

decrement

Post by decrement »

Where do mages usually appear in cities when they are there? I've been running circles for a couple days and have yet to see a single hireable mage in Jhelom, Magincia, Ocllo or Moonglow. Do they just wander? Taverns? Can I just kill everything in the Jhelom pit until mages spawn? Haha. I don't remember hirelings being so hard to find in T2A.

Thanks!

Gregor De Gar

Post by Gregor De Gar »

I tried this method with 16 wyrms and it seemed really slow. Does this still work?

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

I don't know, but I can say that I have my doubts. A few months ago, I tried deamons outside of town (I had healers), and even with >10 deamons blasting my guy for about 30 minutes, I didn't gain at all (and he wasn't even at very high resist--70s or 80s if I remember correctly). I decided then that I would just do it the old fashion way (blast yourself with a healer following the wiki's instructions as to what spell to cast). It only took a few days of macroing to get >85 or 90, and quite a bit (~another week? I don't recall) of flamestriking myself to get to GM. It's really not THAT expensive, its easy to get 10k gold worth of FS regs which'll last a night or two.

I think it'd be interesting to try the hired mage / white wyrm method, but I don't really need to get GM resist on any characters anymore... and I don't just try these types of things for the sake of trying it.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Abbot

Post by Abbot »

I've used mages set outside of the GZ whilst I am inside the GZ. I got to 56 resist pretty quickly from 30.

To get higher level spells you have to wait for them to meditate. It's probably faster/cheaper overall to do it that way, but not something you could do AFK easily.
<Soma> He may be a pedophile, but he's a damn good smith
<Sheer_Luck> Yeah but all the hally handles smell funny.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

How often do they flamestrike though? You are gaining resist way faster then they are gaining magery.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Abbot

Post by Abbot »

In a group of a dozen of them... maybe 2 flamestrikes ea. time. Their mana does regen seemingly faster than player's does, but i cant say for certain
<Soma> He may be a pedophile, but he's a damn good smith
<Sheer_Luck> Yeah but all the hally handles smell funny.

geo

Post by geo »

I haven't played here in a while but i could have sworn just before I stopped playing resist gain in town was taken out. Am I remembering incorrectly? If so does the hired mage trick still work?

geo

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Works as of about a month ago. I used it to train many characters up to ~82 in ~4 hours.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

I'm gonna say this no longer works, After a 7 hour session with 19 mages (damn lich got one) not a single gain @97 or is this too high?

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

They don't cast flamestrike give you gains you need at high resist. White wyrms would probably work.

I can say that if you have a lot (10-15) of mages and you set things up right, you can get to ~85 from 30 in a few hours. I would either start FSing yourself or do a white wyrm thing to do the rest.

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

the bazookas wrote:They don't cast flamestrike give you gains you need at high resist. White wyrms would probably work.

I can say that if you have a lot (10-15) of mages and you set things up right, you can get to ~85 from 30 in a few hours. I would either start FSing yourself or do a white wyrm thing to do the rest.

I got to 97 casting on myself, what i mean is the mages dont seem to work at all, they cast a few FS when fully med'd. I even tryed with my healer (0 resist) and not a single gain, even with the barrage of magic arrow/eb etc

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

That's just it: nothing except FS will give you gains. You need thousands and thousands of FSes, that's the only way to GM. The other spells don't help one bit.

ghosty

Post by ghosty »

I thought gaingin resist in town was impossible???