Resisting Spells by Hiring Mages

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Resisting Spells by Hiring Mages

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Your not referring to training melee skills on a tamed dragon are you because that's a good idea in my book. It saves bandages by hitting the creature but causing little if any damage due to its high ar. You still hit you just dont do alot of damge. If you have a vet then that's a good thing, dragons having higher skill then npcs will give you gains faster.

I said do it with fewer mages inside a house. You can gate them in and just have them all on one tile. You have better control more gains and its cheaper if that isnt good advice...train an npc mage army outside of town and cross your fingers no one griefs you.

If it worked this way why aren't resist parties held in this fashion with you casting metor strikes on a group inside town? Why do you even host resist parties still? You could cast on two, three people constantly without fear then as long as you were all guildies.

It seems too easy to grief this. Energy Vortexes, removing the boxes, luring spawn in, EarthQuake etc. It may be more of a hassle then its worth.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Orbanaz

Post by Orbanaz »

Sorry to necro this thread, but is this technique still the best way to go? I have been trying it and getting some gains, but it's REALLY getting slow in the mid 70's.

Also, the most NPC Mages I have been able to find is about 10 between Jhelom and Wind. Is there another place to look for them?

Truksama
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Truksama »

I tried this recently, but with only about three mages. Honestly, I got better gains from just FSing myself. :[
(3:57:45 PM) Onslaught: i like dicks
(3:57:48 PM) Onslaught: so IronfistMax is OK
(3:57:52 PM) IronfistMax: Gross
(3:57:54 PM) Onslaught: fuck
(3:57:56 PM) Onslaught: that came out wrong

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

WW + rez ankh +all guard ='s win

Orbanaz

Post by Orbanaz »

Uhhh, since I'm new and forgot everything I learned playing in 1998, could you break that down for me. Explain it to me like I was an 8 year old . . . Ok, now explain it to me like I was a 6 year old. LOL

Hank

Post by Hank »

Orbanaz wrote:Uhhh, since I'm new and forgot everything I learned playing in 1998, could you break that down for me. Explain it to me like I was an 8 year old . . . Ok, now explain it to me like I was a 6 year old. LOL
Lol I second that.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Orbanaz wrote:Uhhh, since I'm new and forgot everything I learned playing in 1998, could you break that down for me. Explain it to me like I was an 8 year old . . . Ok, now explain it to me like I was a 6 year old. LOL
the basic idea is to trap all the npcs onto a single tile using boxes (since they can't be walked over) outside of town. then stand inside town and get all the mages to attack you. since you are in guard protection, they will do minimal (1 damage per spell) on you. but since they are outside town, you still get a check on your resistance, which means you can gain skill from it.

i have heard (unconfirmed) that since the "resist vs damage" patch, that macroing magery outside of town will now take you to 97 resist by the time you GM magery, so it's probably just best to macro magery to gm on yourself in a house.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Pascal

Post by Pascal »

nightshark wrote:
the basic idea is to trap all the npcs onto a single tile using boxes (since they can't be walked over) outside of town. then stand inside town and get all the mages to attack you. since you are in guard protection, they will do minimal (1 damage per spell) on you. but since they are outside town, you still get a check on your resistance, which means you can gain skill from it.

i have heard (unconfirmed) that since the "resist vs damage" patch, that macroing magery outside of town will now take you to 97 resist by the time you GM magery, so it's probably just best to macro magery to gm on yourself in a house.
I have gone from 30 (store bought) to GM magery on 3 characters since the patch max resist I attained was 96 at GM magery. My evaluating intelligence was not GM so that may affect the games (it was high 90s).

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Pascal wrote:I have gone from 30 (store bought) to GM magery on 3 characters since the patch max resist I attained was 96 at GM magery. My evaluating intelligence was not GM so that may affect the games (it was high 90s).
I see. Did you run a firewall to 55? 96 is still much higher than before, and not too much more macroing to GM. Pre-patch I'd get around 93 Resist @ GM Magery
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

snooch

Post by snooch »

I had raised resist on 3 chars before the patch.... Using lightning to 62 magery, Ebolt to 82 magery, FS to GM magery.

Before I generally saw resist raise up and stay pretty close to magery.
One started 50 magery, 30 resist (vendor trained) ended with 100 magery 89 resist
One started 50 magery, 50 resist ended with I believe 100 magery, 93ish resist
One started with 30 magery (vendor trained, 50 resist ended with I believe 100 magery 95ish resist

After the patch I started a char with 50 magery, 50 resist, 100 eval and at 82 magery when I made the switch to FS, his resist was only around 73ish (before it would be pretty even). At that point I brought in a 3rd char with 100 eval/magery to FS my char and by the time I reached 100 magery my resist was up to 96, I also only used about 8k FS regs at that point. I tend to lose track of regs because I constantly am worried I'll run out and buy more/restock but I believe I used around 13k to GM, very rough estimate though.

Not sure if this helps anyone just my experience with the changes.

Pascal

Post by Pascal »

nightshark wrote:
Pascal wrote:I have gone from 30 (store bought) to GM magery on 3 characters since the patch max resist I attained was 96 at GM magery. My evaluating intelligence was not GM so that may affect the games (it was high 90s).
I see. Did you run a firewall to 55? 96 is still much higher than before, and not too much more macroing to GM. Pre-patch I'd get around 93 Resist @ GM Magery
Yes firewall to 55.0

Hank

Post by Hank »

Pascal wrote:
nightshark wrote:
Yes firewall to 55.0
I store bought Resist to 30, to get to 55 Firewall is the best?

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Hank wrote:
Pascal wrote: Yes firewall to 55.0
I store bought Resist to 30, to get to 55 Firewall is the best?
Before the resist patch my last guy got from 0ish to 55 in around 45 firefields with a dedicated GM healer and GM caster. Should still be similar now -- by far the best route.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

find a tamer friend, and hire him instead, have him park around 30 or so WW on a boat, right outside of guard zone, jhelom-skara brae- etc..
have him flag grey and then say all guard me, u attack him, there you go.

Elnono

Post by Elnono »

For the new comers. What are WWs ?