Fishing guide!

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Gafron

Re: Fishing guide!

Post by Gafron »

Yeah, some of you are missing the part where NO RESOURCES ARE BEING GATHERED AT ALL. None in your pack, none at your feet. My toon is at 100 str. When I put 427 weight on my toon and fish I do not actually get any fish. I still get a catch and skill up but the catch does not produce an item. This may be a bug in fishing as I have not tried it with lumberjacking or mining. I fiigured fish would stack at my feet but they don't. Instead I get a message that there is no room in my pack for a fish and no fish.

As a side note, after doing this for a while from my boat it isn't really feasible for total afk macroing because of the sea serpents. You can macro around the ones you fish up but if you run into any wandering serpents they attack you, get against the boat so it can't be moved and you get fire breathed to death. So at best you have to check on your fisherman every once in a while to have a resser recall out to the boat and raise the dead dummy.

And yes I would still like to have a dev comment on whether this afk macroing of fishing without gathering resources is legal, for peace of mind. I would be happy to demonstrate it in game as well if they need to see it.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

If you aren't gathering resources, this should definitely be a legit way to raise fishing skill.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

Gafron wrote:Yeah, some of you are missing the part where NO RESOURCES ARE BEING GATHERED AT ALL. None in your pack, none at your feet. My toon is at 100 str. When I put 427 weight on my toon and fish I do not actually get any fish. I still get a catch and skill up but the catch does not produce an item. This may be a bug in fishing as I have not tried it with lumberjacking or mining. I fiigured fish would stack at my feet but they don't. Instead I get a message that there is no room in my pack for a fish and no fish.

As a side note, after doing this for a while from my boat it isn't really feasible for total afk macroing because of the sea serpents. You can macro around the ones you fish up but if you run into any wandering serpents they attack you, get against the boat so it can't be moved and you get fire breathed to death. So at best you have to check on your fisherman every once in a while to have a resser recall out to the boat and raise the dead dummy.

And yes I would still like to have a dev comment on whether this afk macroing of fishing without gathering resources is legal, for peace of mind. I would be happy to demonstrate it in game as well if they need to see it.
I believe if a GM finds you doing this, you WILL end up in jail. I dont think they will care that you are not gathering
resourses!

Plus we are to believe that once you GM 3 fishing chars, you will start non afk fishing?
WiseOne wrote:I don't log on often, but when I do, I shop at Trinny Stone Vendors!
Trinny Stone Vendors
@Trinsic Moongate/Est. 6-2-12

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

There are some skills that are unfair to macro and fishing is one of them....I'm all for a macro that fishes a spot out for you but move it your self and all ways be there for that.

mining/lumberjacking/fishing/collecting wool/blacksmithing etc all screw the economy and make massive inflation like osi. i remember paying 320mill for a small stone next to brit gate on great lakes lol

you say your not catching fish but does the same thing happen when you pull a MIB?

and one last thing anyone notice that magnia pier is not deepwater? it should be.....you should beable to cast from the very end and it be deep water, it's where i always used my nets.

Gafron

Post by Gafron »

Orion GM B^D wrote:I believe if a GM finds you doing this, you WILL end up in jail. I dont think they will care that you are not gathering resourses!
Do you believe in Bigfoot too? :) The rules state "gathering resources".
Orion GM B^D wrote:Plus we are to believe that once you GM 3 fishing chars, you will start non afk fishing?
AFK macroing fishing while not gathering resources has nothing to do with afk fishing to gather resources no matter how many characters someone would have doing it. I'm not talking about or advocating someone breaking the rules by gathering resources.

Gafron

Post by Gafron »

jimm1432 wrote:There are some skills that are unfair to macro and fishing is one of them
jimm1432 wrote:mining/lumberjacking/fishing/collecting wool/blacksmithing etc all screw the economy and make massive inflation like osi.
I agree if using these skills to gather resources but to macro raise them without gathering resources is no different than macro raising any other skill.
jimm1432 wrote:you say your not catching fish but does the same thing happen when you pull a MIB?
I am at 97.7 fishing, as I type this, and have gathered nothing using this method, unless fishing up the occasional sea serpent counts as gathering. :)

Vhyx

Post by Vhyx »

Perhaps others have done so as well, but I just sent Derrick an e-mail to see if we can get a staff member to weigh in.

Beyond that, perhaps it's time for me to resume my old hobby of terrorizing fishermen.

Hythloth Tower for Sale. Contact Boondock_Saint via PMs because it's his and not mine. Azheman will broker the deal, naked.

jekkis
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by jekkis »

I don't see how it's so difficult to understand the FAQ. It clearly states that unattended fishing is not allowed from shore, nor on a boat. To avoid any misunderstanding whether this involves gathering resources in any manner, it is separated to its own rule.

UOSA FAQ
Unattended fishing is not allowed from shore, nor on a boat.

Gafron

Post by Gafron »

jekkis wrote:
That is from the faq not the shard rules and is in a section that is again about unattended resource gathering.

I understand everyones' concern about not having bots all over the place gathering tons of resources, inflating the economy, but this is not about that it is just about raising a skill. From the rules, both letter and spirit, I see no problem with macroing any skill afk to raise it if there is no resource gathering being done. In fishing I know this can be done, for none of the other gathering skills have I tried it. I would think the GM's have the ability to see if a toon is gathering or not, but if they do not have that ability then it is reasonable to ban all afk macroing of gathering skills because of potential for abuse. The rules do not ban this however. If that is just an over sight or because I stumbled upon a bug that causes fish to not be dropped at one's feet when fishing overweight, it can be easily corrected by clarification by Derrick.

All I am doing is trying to take the tedium out of leveling a skill and only leveling a skill.

jekkis
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by jekkis »

Gafron wrote:
jekkis wrote:
That is from the faq not the shard rules and is in a section that is again about unattended resource gathering.

I understand everyones' concern about not having bots all over the place gathering tons of resources, inflating the economy, but this is not about that it is just about raising a skill. From the rules, both letter and spirit, I see no problem with macroing any skill afk to raise it if there is no resource gathering being done. In fishing I know this can be done, for none of the other gathering skills have I tried it. I would think the GM's have the ability to see if a toon is gathering or not, but if they do not have that ability then it is reasonable to ban all afk macroing of gathering skills because of potential for abuse. The rules do not ban this however. If that is just an over sight or because I stumbled upon a bug that causes fish to not be dropped at one's feet when fishing overweight, it can be easily corrected by clarification by Derrick.

All I am doing is trying to take the tedium out of leveling a skill and only leveling a skill.
With your thinking, a reply to your question here wouldn't make it any more official, as it is not in the shard rules? Is that what you are trying to say regarding the statement being in the FAQ?

Yes, it's a section that deals with afk resource gathering, but as I attempted to communicate earlier the rule regarding fishing should be understandable enough, as it is differentiated from the general statement of unattended gathering. The reasons for this could obviously be beyond raising a skill - perhaps it is simply easier to monitor this way and thus takes off the workload from the GMs.

Vhyx

Post by Vhyx »

^^^^^

Only reason why I sent a message to Derrick to see if we could get him or another staff member to respond, is so Gafron might quit playing the semantics game.

Hythloth Tower for Sale. Contact Boondock_Saint via PMs because it's his and not mine. Azheman will broker the deal, naked.

Gafron

Post by Gafron »

Vhyx wrote:Only reason why I sent a message to Derrick to see if we could get him or another staff member to respond, is so Gafron might quit playing the semantics game.
I'm not trying to play semantic games. I understand that afk resource gathering is bad for the server economy and we want to avoid that. I also understand there is a statement in the faq about afk fishing but this statement is in a section about unattended resource gathering which all the statements in the rules, faq and here in the forums seems to be about.

AFK macroing is allowed to level skills and from any logical standpoint any skill that can be leveled without gathering resources would seem to be ok. I may be wrong about this and that is why I asked if there had been a statement from the powers that be, earlier in this thread. Since several people didn't even believe afk fishing could be done without gathering resources to begin with I felt I might have stumbled onto a bug that had not been seen before and therefore would need some guidance from Derrick, et al.

Again I am not advocating afk gathering or encouraging others to do so or to play in a way that makes it difficult for the admins to tell the difference. I am perfectly willing to abide by the server rules and if using any skill that normally gathers resources is a no no even if there is a way to NOT gather resources while leveling them, I will comply.

getan

Post by getan »

Gafron wrote:
Vhyx wrote:Only reason why I sent a message to Derrick to see if we could get him or another staff member to respond, is so Gafron might quit playing the semantics game.
I'm not trying to play semantic games. I understand that afk resource gathering is bad for the server economy and we want to avoid that. I also understand there is a statement in the faq about afk fishing but this statement is in a section about unattended resource gathering which all the statements in the rules, faq and here in the forums seems to be about.

AFK macroing is allowed to level skills and from any logical standpoint any skill that can be leveled without gathering resources would seem to be ok. I may be wrong about this and that is why I asked if there had been a statement from the powers that be, earlier in this thread. Since several people didn't even believe afk fishing could be done without gathering resources to begin with I felt I might have stumbled onto a bug that had not been seen before and therefore would need some guidance from Derrick, et al.

Again I am not advocating afk gathering or encouraging others to do so or to play in a way that makes it difficult for the admins to tell the difference. I am perfectly willing to abide by the server rules and if using any skill that normally gathers resources is a no no even if there is a way to NOT gather resources while leveling them, I will comply.
I think it is a blanket policy so that they dont have to inspect you to see if you are gathering resources or not. Less work for the staff.

Kyuna - Myoo

Post by Kyuna - Myoo »

[quote="Kinarah"]Hey guys I just gmed fishing and I thought I would help some people with macroing it if they were interested. This is almost full proof. However, you will sometimes run into a serpent in the middle of the ocean and it will kill you. Or, you will sometimes pull up a serpent too close to your boat and it is impossible to move the boat forward. I am still kind of tinkering with things to avoid the serpents all together, but I'm not quite sure if any of my ideas work yet. One idea I had was to macro fishing one tile behind the front of the boat. Anyway, I am getting off track. I hope some of you will play with it and let me know what you think.

Requirements:
GM Hiding!

i have a different sistem:
i need 1 boat, 1 tamer and 1 white wyrm

if the fisher lose HP snoop the tamer backpack
if the tamer sysmessage snoop, say all kill to random grey...
wait 100 second, say all follow me and drop eat to white wyrm...
i'm gm fishing in 3 day with that sistem, and i think is very good sistem...

100% AFK

Moppety

Post by Moppety »

was there any completion on this as in, is it considered illegal if your not actually gaining resources?