Fishing guide!

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Moppety

Re: Fishing guide!

Post by Moppety »

be aware from Derricks own mouth any sort of fishing AFK is illegal, i was going to post my irc logs but turned my comp of and lost it. even with a full pack if your caught you could be banned.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I was asked to weigh in on this issue. Currently, we have no differentiation between fishing with no ability to acquire the resource and with it. I can't comment on whether this will ever change or not.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Gafron

Post by Gafron »

Kaivan wrote:I was asked to weigh in on this issue. Currently, we have no differentiation between fishing with no ability to acquire the resource and with it. I can't comment on whether this will ever change or not.
Thanks for the clarification.

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

since I no longer fish for MIBs I'll give everyone a tip.

when fishing go to vesper, find the docks and place your boat. your find you can go out to deep water and still be inside guard zone. place a boat once your outside the guard zone as a stopper and add ''if sysmess ''stopped'' say turn around'' ''if hp<99 say guards'' North to south has the longest run within the guard zone and can take 3 fisherman non-stop fishing without getting the nothing biting message. theres room for about 15 boats side by side fishing here so no need to be greed with your space.

there you go a 100% safe way to fish with no manual work or worry of pk's/deep sea serps etc. no need to afk just run clients in background while u l33t PVP on IRC

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

Last edited by Jill Stihl on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beetlebear

Post by beetlebear »

Hi guys, I just came up with a good macro for attended fishing along the shoreline. It also hides you.

Just set your last target and let this macro go until the fish don't bite any longer.

Double Click (fishing pole (0DC0))
Wait for Target
Exec: Last Target
Pause: 2.00sec
UseSkill Hiding
Pause 8.00sec

Harimonster

Post by Harimonster »

While fishing I'm often reading the forums. Is there a specific amount of time that they use for the unattended macroing? I regularly check my character, I just wanted to know if there was some magic number. Like once they find you, you have 30 seconds to respond or something.

liinniejj

Post by liinniejj »

following the rules as i know them you are supposed to stop yer macro if you walk away or tab out :)

Made by Nystal Games, New up and coming indie Developer.

Krakklin
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Krakklin »

I made this macro off of someone else's, the things i added to the fish in relative location and moving the boat:

1st: If I have been damaged, it checks to see if I've been poisoned.

If I've been poisoned, it applies bandaids at the poisoning rate otherwise it does it at the normal healing rate. (GM'd Healing and Anat before starting, and I currently have about 70 archery/Tactics, with a bow armed)

Otherwise, it does the fishing until you get a system message saying that there are no fish biting and it moves the boat

After the boat stops, it uses the newbie dagger to chop up the 4 different kinds of fish into steaks

lastly, it moves all the different foot ware, and fish steaks and small fish into the hold, and then loops!

!Loop
// If Damaged, Check for Poison. Otherwise begin to fish
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|0|0|95
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|3|-1|0
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1025|
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:18
Assistant.Macros.ElseAction
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1025|
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:15
Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction
Assistant.Macros.ElseAction
//Double Click Rod and Fish to Relative Location
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickAction|1078327708|3519
Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|30
Assistant.Macros.TargetRelLocAction|3|0
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:10
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickAction|1078327708|3519
Assistant.Macros.TargetRelLocAction|-3|-1
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:10
// System Message Tells Macro to move the boat
Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|the fish don't seem to be biting here
Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|0|52|3|ENU|2|16|69|forward
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:02
Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|0|52|3|ENU|5|48|54|4|241|97|stop
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01
Assistant.Macros.ForAction|1
// Cuts up Fish (4 types)
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3922|True
Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|2509
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01.2000000
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickAction|1078327699|3922
Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|2510
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01.2000000
Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|2508
Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|2511
Assistant.Macros.EndForAction
// Organizer agent moves boots, shoes, thighboots, sandals, little fish, and fishsteak to hold
Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Organizer Agent-9
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:05

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

I recently made a GM fisherman. A few notes that I haven't seen elsewhere in this thread, that may be helpful to an aspiring fisherman:

Fishing poles don't decay. I guess this means if you create a fisherman character from the start, you get a newbie pole that will never decay?

Gains seem to be steady at mid-high levels, i.e. I gained in the 70's at about the same rate I was gaining in the 50's/60's ..... about 2-2.5 points of skill gain per hour. By mid-80's the pace seems to slow to around 1-1.5 points per hour and in the low 90's less than 1 per hour. From 93.2 to GM around .3-.5 per hour.

You can buy skill (only up to 19 in my case) from Marsten, the GM Fisherman at the Britain docks near the carto shop (thanks Bixby).

From 19 to 93.2, I just fished off the two big docks in south Brit, and a little piece of shoreline in between them. It takes about an hour to fish each dock, so by the time you've fished out both docks, you can return to the first dock and it'll be "restocked" with fish. I've been using this macro which works pretty well. You just have to move to a nearby location once you get the message "the fish don't seem to be biting here":

Double Click fishing pole
Wait for Target
Relative Location (click water and then convert to relative location)
Pause 9 seconds (I found that my macro less frequently times out with a 9 second pause vs. an 8 second pause)
LOOP

I was PK'd a few times when I went AFK for like a minute, so be careful. I should have put hiding into the macro. Saying "Guards" may also be helpful in your macro (but may also draw the attention of griefers).

I confirm that gains from fishing off the docks stop at 93.2. At that point you must head to deep water on a boat.

I simply pointed the bow of the boat northward and set my boat on a "slow left" course, which was only occasionally halted due to dolphins, sea monsters, and once, a boat sitting in the middle of the ocean. There are two nice LONG stretches of water that take hours to cross going "slow left" (note the yellow lines indicating the course):
Pops_2-25_18.00gif.gif
Once I got too close to land I adjusted my course until I could get back on that sweet yellow line. So basically I just circumnavigated the world until I GM'd fishing. I found that "slow right" didn't work - I guess since you always cast toward your left, if the boat was drifting to the right, it would drift too far to pull up a fish/etc. and thus you couldn't gain. In any event "slow left" was the ticket, going around the world a few times until I hit GM.

Since my fisherman was a weak character without any real fighting ability or magery, I kept a mage on board to kill the occasional sea monster, dolphin or water elemental. Huge mistake BTW not to have strong magery on my fisherman since as I continue to fish, he'll need to defend himself.

For deep sea fishing, I used the same macro as I did for the docks, but added a hiding feature which often (but not always) seemed to fool whatever monsters neared the boat (thanks Beetlebear):

Double Click fishing pole
Wait for Target
Relative Location (click water and then convert to relative location)
Pause 2 seconds
Use skill: Hiding
Pause 9 seconds (I found that my macro less frequently times out with a 9 second pause vs. an 8 second pause)
LOOP

Fishing drags up a lot of boots/shoes/sandals which can be sold at a provisioner. I just created a selling agent so it only takes a few seconds to sell your loot. I generated around 8k of gold just by selling shoes/boots. Took me maybe 5 minutes of time. Of course fishing also drags up a lot of fish - whether to make and sell fish steaks is up to you.

joewud

Post by joewud »

I`ve gained 1.8 in the last 7.5 hours. A few times i`ve goten stuck. I was at 96.2 for over 3 hours. Is there any way to jumpstart my gains or do I just need to power through?

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

WARNING: INCOMING THREAD NECROMANCY.

How is Archery on a Fisherman template? I was wondering if Archery works okay for combating sea serpents/water elementals and PK's on boats.

Template would look like this.

100 Str
100 Dex
25 Int

100 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Resisting Spells
100 Fishing
70 Hiding
30 Magery

Is this a good template for a fisherman?

Bixby Legbone

Post by Bixby Legbone »

Foxhound3857 wrote:WARNING: INCOMING THREAD NECROMANCY.

How is Archery on a Fisherman template? I was wondering if Archery works okay for combating sea serpents/water elementals and PK's on boats.

100 Str
100 Dex
25 Int

100 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Resisting Spells
100 Fishing
70 Hiding
30 Magery

In theory it is perfectly fine. Personally I would give at least 30 more points to magery to be able to reliably recall using regs and not recall scrolls. Your template is wicked good! *cannot promise it is pirate proof, they are crafty buggers.

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Bixby Legbone wrote:

100 Str
100 Dex
25 Int

100 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Resisting Spells
100 Fishing
70 Hiding
30 Magery

In theory it is perfectly fine. Personally I would give at least 30 more points to magery to be able to reliably recall using regs and not recall scrolls. Your template is wicked good! *cannot promise it is pirate proof, they are crafty buggers.
Well, it offers options against pirates.

Plan A: Hide.

If the pirate is hostile and hiding won't keep me safe...(if the hiding check fails, skip to Plan C)

Plan B: Recall out of there while he/she is attempting to reveal.

If the Recall fails or they manage to interrupt it...

Plan C: Flee.

If they catch me and I can't escape...

Plan D: Pull out my bow and fight to my last breath.

At least this template has ranged combat to fight someone on another boat, and defense against a mage. And it doesn't require having to buy armor. Would have potions on hand as needed (and it might actually be a good reason to keep explosive potions).

Boat would be locked at all times so they cannot board me (or steal my loot or my boat afterwords).

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

100 Str
100 Dex
25 Int

100 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Resisting Spells
100 Fishing
70 Hiding
30 Magery

When I was a player here I used that template, but with 80 resist, 50 magery. I just didn't get hit by enough magic to warrant GM resist.

I also had a tracking Archer on board to look for other fishermen and pirates.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.