Black smithing

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Blackraven

Black smithing

Post by Blackraven »

Code: Select all

Skill Level			   What to craft			     Ingots used

35 - 43 	 	 	 	     Cutlass 	 	 	 	 	  8 ingots

Alternate 35 - 50       Bascinet  		 	 	  15 ingots

47 - 52 	 	 	 	     Kryss 	 	 	 	 	 	 8 ingots

52 - 55 	 	 	 	     Longsword 	 	  	  12 ingots

55 - 60 	 	 		      Broadsword 	 	 	  10 ingots

Alternate 57 - 59  	  Katana 	 	 	 	      8 ingots

68 - 100 	               Plate Gorget  	 	   10 ingots

Alternate 80 - 89		Plate Gloves  		     12 ingots

Alternate 94 - 100	 Plate Legs 	 	 	    20 ingots

Alternate 97 - 100 	Plate Tunic  		       25 ingots
As you can see, some of the alternate items are quite high in ingot consumption. You may need to throw in a few attempts at the alternates, however, as it can help to break you out of a slump by mixing up your routine a bit. My advice: when you hit a skill gain wall, do a round or two of an alternate item. Otherwise, stick with the lower cost items.
I have used and successfully been gaining with this. low ingot : gain

You should also setup a razor macro to smelt all the items you create, remember to set the target to object type.

As well if your asking your self Can i make this? well >Here< you go.

Source cite http://uoc.powergamers.net/skill_smithy.php

Michael Malloy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Black smithing

Post by Michael Malloy »

Gorgets at 68 is a terrible waste. I'm still using short spears into my mid 70s now and getting great gains.

Blackraven

Post by Blackraven »

I've heard of people doing short spears to 80 then plate gorgets to 100, but it seems so..boring?

1. The Key to black smiting is low ingot use ratio to steady gain rate.
(short spears 6 ingots - 12 ingots plate gorgets)
2. do what feels right and works well
3. I like to have some fun so i do lots of stuff like talk to strangers or make things as a mix up, or to see if i get the magic dice roll and make it. :)

Michael Malloy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Michael Malloy »

Absolutely boring, that's the truth.

Just for comparison's sake, though, I did a little test (real skill, not displayed):

short spears for 500 ingots (before smelting/recycling): 71.0-72.1 (72.7 after recycling)

plate gorgets for 250 ingots (so frustrating): 72.7-72.9, didn't recycle into more gorgets, instead....

short spears for 500 more ingots (before): 72.9-74.3 (74.9 after recycling)

Pretty stark contrast in ingot usage::skill gain. Just sayin'.

Blackraven

Post by Blackraven »

aye, if you looked on the page problem starts with that is a Generic(Osi) style Bsmith guide for 35-100.
as you can see by the lower part of that page it goes through 100-120

Senses

Post by Senses »

Without appearing too cruel, because its really not my intention, this guide should really be removed from this section. Its about the worst blacksmithing guide you could possibly follow and you will spend far more ingots and level far more slowly then the other much simpler guide by Storm elsewhere in this Guide Forum. If the point of the guide is to make an alternate guide, and by alternate, i mean the alternate of the way that works and works fast, then this is successfull, but does anyone really want to do the slower more expensive way, and if you did, couldn't you just stumble upon it yourself by doing everything completely wrong?

Anyways, bad guides should be removed because it does far more disservice than service to people looking for some help.

Dynamis

Post by Dynamis »

Senses wrote:Without appearing too cruel, because its really not my intention, this guide should really be removed from this section. Its about the worst blacksmithing guide you could possibly follow and you will spend far more ingots and level far more slowly then the other much simpler guide by Storm elsewhere in this Guide Forum. If the point of the guide is to make an alternate guide, and by alternate, i mean the alternate of the way that works and works fast, then this is successfull, but does anyone really want to do the slower more expensive way, and if you did, couldn't you just stumble upon it yourself by doing everything completely wrong?

Anyways, bad guides should be removed because it does far more disservice than service to people looking for some help.
I agree, this guide is a complete waste of ingots and time.
Stinger, Dynamis, Cordale Lect
Duchy of Tribune

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

can some one point me in the direction of a good blacksmithy guide?

Michael Malloy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Michael Malloy »

Kryptonical wrote:can some one point me in the direction of a good blacksmithy guide?
I did:

Katana (8 ingots each): 50-72
Short spear (6 ingots each): 72-89/90ish
Gorget (10 ingots each) with some other stuff mixed in, like plate gloves and arms, but you don't need to: 90-GM

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

thx!

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I just GM'd smithing, purchased about 30k ingots (75 mining skill while smelting)

0-30 | NPC Training
30-50 | Daggars
50-73 | Katanas
73-86 | Short Spears
86-99.5 | Gorgets
99.5-100 | Gloves

I'm told gorgets would have GM'd me, but as soon as I switched to gloves I got .2 in a matter of 10 loops, so I stuck with them till I GM'd
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

tangar

Post by tangar »

what cheaper (need less ingots):

50-65: Cutlass
65-75: Kryss
75-85: Short Spear
85-93: Long Spear
93-100: Plate Gloves

or

50-73 | Katanas
73-86 | Short Spears
86-99.5 | Gorgets
99.5-100 | Gloves

?

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Tangar,

while it is era-accurate to drool over hints of necromancy, Necromancing year-old threads here does no one any service: the methods described in this thread, even if they were viable 18 months ago when the thread was created, are no longer viable, because skill requirements have changed (they were found to be inaccurate, and subsequently changed accordingly); you should be commended on performing a Search (many players don't bother), but one should confirm the currency of any search results, before posting any questions.

Your question is therefore, regretably, both silly and moot: for example, no blacksmith (now) can make a katana @ 50 skill ... I will confirm that this is era-accurate.

The best blacksmithing-gains guide is the one presented in the wiki; I will remark on one fault that this guide possesses, however:

Almost all of these guides were composed by people who left their characters macroing unattended, with access to huge quantities of raw materials; they include ridiculously large sections (in terms of skill requirements) wherein resource-wastage-to-expected-skill-gain is absolutely horrible; hitherto, no one (else) has pointed-out these flaws.

Ironically, the prevalence of such extremely-flawed guides in "the forum" is also era-accurate ...

The wiki guide:

50 - 65: Cutlass
65 - 75: Kryss
75 - 85: Short Spear
85 - 95: Plate Gorgets
95 - GM: Plate Gloves

Question 1 is: do you want skill gain, or monetary return on ingots used? Skill-gain-only is flushing 30-40k ingots (worth 210k-280k+ gp) completely down the toilet to gain from 50-GM, as it is assumed all created items are being smelted back into ingots and re-smithed. Trying to gain from 50-GM, "paying for itself", will take very, very much longer, and requires you to make entirely different items.

For skill-gain-only, follow the wiki guide; I would recommend these changes:

50-55: Maul (Cutlass will destroy thousands of ingots);
Cutlass skill-gains 62-65 will be quite slow, but with a good number of successes;
65-70: Scimitar (Kryss will destroy thousands of ingots);
70-72: Broadsword (Kryss will still destroy hundreds of ingots);
72-81: Kryss (this is where my UOSA smith is at, at the date of this posting, but I anticipate ...)

81-83: Katana;
83-93: Short Spear;
93-98: Spear;
98-GM: Plate Gloves;

The last time I GMed a smith was more than 10 years ago on OSI, and most of that was (only barely) pre-T2A; I finished GMing him spring of '99; my 50-75ish "guide" is from the last month of my raising my smith here at UOSA, and the 75ish+ advice is from my 20th-century OSI recollections.

If you want smithing to pay for itself, you'll need to make armor (not weapons) that require a minimum skill of 20-25 points below whatever your displayed skill is; when you have a choice, make the item that requires the fewest ingots; everything you make will be sold to NPCs, in order to buy new ingots.

Good luck.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

tangar

Post by tangar »

Thank you very much for exhaustive answer! :)

Marvel

Post by Marvel »

What's comes after 55 after you've done making Mauls?