Boat Mining *POLL*

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Should unattended boats blocking Mining Resouces be Deleted?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:18 pm

Yes, Delete the boats and make the spots available to others
40%
No, First come First Serve
60%

Total votes: 30

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Boat Mining *POLL*

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Derrick had stated that OSI had a system of currents or tides which would unanchor a ship and you had to physically reanchor it in order for it to not be moved.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I don't feel that we as staff should be sailing peoples boats around either. This is not something that I'd ever known OSI staff to do. I spent a lot of time boat mining above north mines in era myself, and didn't always move my boat out of the way.

On the drift, I may have been misinterpreted. Boats would drift if not anchored, what I meant by countered by anchoring is that if you did anchor them, they did not drift.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I thought you meant they had to be re-anchored my bad.
So would it be counter-era or counter productive to block anchoring a vessel in a resource area or other areas which would be inaccessible if a vessel had docked there if we added in the drift?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

I thought I posted this, but I guess I forgot to submit:

Was shuffling resource tables for mining part of the era? Didn't it use to happen every one and a while?
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

IMO allow forges to be placed on boats.. :)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Duke Jones wrote:I thought I posted this, but I guess I forgot to submit:

Was shuffling resource tables for mining part of the era? Didn't it use to happen every one and a while?
I'm not aware that this ever happened. I only actively mined for probably about 6 months; during that period I never knew them to shift.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:I thought you meant they had to be re-anchored my bad.
So would it be counter-era or counter productive to block anchoring a vessel in a resource area or other areas which would be inaccessible if a vessel had docked there if we added in the drift?
There was no mechanic that I'm aware of that ever prevented a boat from dropping anchor.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Derrick wrote:
Duke Jones wrote:I thought I posted this, but I guess I forgot to submit:

I'm not aware that this ever happened. I only actively mined for probably about 6 months; during that period I never knew them to shift.

I'm fairly sure this is WAY out of era. People would sell runes to val spots or runebooks full of val spots for quite a considerable sum of money.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

No, resource locations never changed. Stop trying to make things up now.

Also Duke Jones, sorry but you fail again. You've already stated your position in the other thread about razor and macroing that we should be limited to what was available in-game, and the intent was not blah blah blah, well with your same logic applied boats were able to block resources such as they do now, and since nothing was ever done to prevent boats from doing this it means that the intent of the game was not to not allow blocking resources.

You claim to want to be era accurate yet you want to change things that are era accurate just because they annoy you.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

uo.com wrote: August 10, 2007

"Why did you randomize resource spawn in this publish?"
This change is getting more debate right now than the PvP changes, so here's Wilki with the scoop:

"The resource change was made for several reasons, but mostly because of the obvious one: "Rare" resources aren’t very rare if you can recall to a runebook full of them and collect as many as you want on demand.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Dagon wrote: You claim to want to be era accurate yet you want to change things that are era accurate just because they annoy you.
I would appreciate if you cut off the personal attacks.

I have no miner. Don't ever plan to have one, either. I'm just looking at an issue and putting in my 2 cents while considering what's good for the whole community, not just a few players' greed.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Where's the personal attack? You'll know when I'm attacking you. Maybe I should preface my posts like you with a militant response warning, that way your feathers won't get ruffled.

Zane

Post by Zane »

I felt compelled to jump in here.

First, people who call others names should really not be in the practice of making pleas for civility, regardless of how good your posts are normally.

With that said. This is obviously a matter of personal opinion. When you look at consistency in staff intervention, OSI intervention, and various other nuances, it seems to land on the side of the boats parked (unless someone brings up something that changes this).

Last I checked, there are maybe 6-8 boats parked along the mountains to the North (granted I may be off, but I also know of many spots of valuable ore veins that are still open). About a week ago I found 3 boats parked on Serpent's Hold. This does not seem like the entirety of boat mining operations are prevented.

With all this said... I'd like to propose a compromise based on a couple things which have been posted. Create a policy for the server which, similar to OSI policy, limits the amount of mountain you can block. In other words, extend the supposed OSI policy of blocking entire portions of mountains with a number of boats blocking access to ore veins on mountains.

Personally, I don't think it's needed. I'm not sure Derrick will go for the staff involvement. I'm only suggesting this with the goal of maintaining that era accuracy and minimal staff intervention while taking the opinions of players into account.

PS- DW, I hope you know my grammar/spelling comment was in jest. :)