How to "not die" by properly preparing yourself.

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Nayee

Re: How to "not die" by properly prepairing yourself.

Post by Nayee »

MatronDeWinter wrote: Thieves, 95% of you are a disgrace to the thief community (That includes DJ momo). You are naked, occasionally carrying 2 bandaids and a newbie spear. It is absolutely ridiculious. You don't even dye your hair when you use a disguise! You miss several opportunities to steal "good" items, because you spent every other 2 minutes dead at the healer waiting to res from that empty-bottle you stole. Set your priorities! Stock yourself with usefull items, and steal something worthwhile. I'm sure you get lucky stealing junk every now and then, but you can significantly increase your chances, outside of town.

(It's no wonder people make a thief and then never play it out of boredom)
i loled. so true.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

bump

Ross

Post by Ross »

Great read.

Tiny bit off topic but a question about your point about not GM'ing some skills. Specifically hiding. Is there much point having hiding at all if it isn't GM'ed? Surely you'll fail at all the wrong times if you don't have GM hiding?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

There is some usage; I have Hiding at 35 or so on a bunch of dexer characters. I just use it if I need to pause for a couple minutes to do something, and I don't have 22 mana (11 to recall to bank, 11 to recall home) and don't want to wait for it to rise slowly. Of course it only works about 1 out of 3 tries, so it takes 30 seconds on average, but it's definitely useful.

If you're using it to escape dangerous situations though, you need to GM it. You can't be failing, and you definitely want the 8 tile range to hide while being attacked. I believe at less-than-GM you need to be over 8 tiles from your attacker to even attempt a hide.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Newbied Death Robes/Cloaks/etc. Will keep thieves from manually targeting specific items in your pack when placed over them. Keep your pouches over ten stones and place these articles over (not in) them.

This will also help deter pouch popping.

For thieves, using search exemptions in razor will by default hue key items a neon blue.

To be fair and balanced...
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Mikel123 wrote:There is some usage; I have Hiding at 35 or so on a bunch of dexer characters. I just use it if I need to pause for a couple minutes to do something, and I don't have 22 mana (11 to recall to bank, 11 to recall home) and don't want to wait for it to rise slowly. Of course it only works about 1 out of 3 tries, so it takes 30 seconds on average, but it's definitely useful.

If you're using it to escape dangerous situations though, you need to GM it. You can't be failing, and you definitely want the 8 tile range to hide while being attacked. I believe at less-than-GM you need to be over 8 tiles from your attacker to even attempt a hide.
If you break LOS (and most of the time you need to), your hiding skill is only the % chance that you will succeed. Let's face it, your not going to run 8+ tiles from an aggressor (pk) and hide, and if you do, your getting revealed. Monsters arent even worth discussing, if you die to a monster well...

uofuntime

Post by uofuntime »

Wow! Great tips. I am not prepared enough it seems!

Never knew about the table/object trick. I wonder how much gold are invisibility rings and teleport rings these days.

Lot's of good points.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I used to carry most of this stuff, lately I've just be escaping barely, more importantly for me is to figure out how to set these macros are you talking about Matron. I just starting using Razor yesterday so is there a link that tells you how to set up the macros for recalling to a specific rune, healing yourself, equipping jewelry of invis, setting off your pouch etc?

Also was does "constant debuffs" mean?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

For equipping a certain item, use the Arm/Dress feature and set a hotkey to Toggle the particular item or set of items.

For pouches, you want to use the Use Once Agent, in the Agent tab.

The rest is simply recording macros and editing where appropriate, and then setting a hotkey to play them. For the recall one, I typically just set a hotkey to cast Recall. I didn't have it involve the rune; I did that manually. In 6+ months, I probably died 3 times due to not manually targeting a rune quickly enough. But, if you put that into the macro, you have to remember to retarget the rune each time you die and subsequently re-equip with a new rune (even to the same spot).

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

OK, the only macro I set up was for Eval Int. I recorded it and played it. How do I set up the macro in Razor and then assign a key to it for when I'm in the game? Is that where you have to go to the tab for hot keys or something? I think theres a box that says Transfer to UO that you can check or something?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Open razor, search for the hotkeys menu prompt at the top, click it and go on to the skills submenu...open that and then you can set to use a skill assigning it to a hotkey.

If you open paperdoll and go to options then click on the returning arrow icon on the bottom left you can also assign it there.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Yea I know how to do the UO macros with the return arrow. I will have to tinker around some today when I get home.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Also I think if you hold down your mouse button when you highlight the skill in your skill scroll and drag it left you can pull out an icon you can have on screen.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Also I think if you hold down your mouse button when you highlight the skill in your skill scroll and drag it left you can pull out an icon you can have on screen.
What? I didnt know that.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

a timber wolf_2-15_13.20.jpg
a timber wolf_2-15_13.20.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
It will look like this. You double click those icons and you will use the appropriate skill. Helps free up hotkeys.