Tamer Temp: The Nightmare Rider

Topics related to Second Age
archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Tamer Temp: The Nightmare Rider

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Nightmares are about the most powerful creatures in game. Dragons are slow and cumbersome and a pain to manuver through narrow pathways many of which have obstacles.

As I was making a tamer something hit me. What if I had a temp at my side who could assume control of dragons if need be but primarily used this steed's sleekness to his advantage.

Then I realized the Pure Mage Tamer fits this profile. However...

I want to see if you can come up with something different.
Can you create a Dexxer or Medi Dexxer with these points in mind.

Animal Taming must be GM
Animal Lore must be 80
Need only to be able to recall, he is not gating dragons only recalling with his mount. Whether with or without scrolls.

Lets see who comes up with the coolest temp idea. This is a master tamer's assistant/sidekick no vet is necessary. In example having them both hunt with mares the vet heals he is there for protection quick on and off to the next spot etc.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Charon

Re: Tamer Temp: The Nightmare Rider

Post by Charon »

This sounds like a fun temp to play with your tamer buddy/partner, but if your hanging with a tamer/mage there would be no need to recall since they themselves could gate the two of you around...the only real benefit would be to be able to solo

Taming 100
Lore 100
Anatomy 100
Healing 100
Tactics 100
Random Melee/Archery 100
Resist 100

or run a variation of:

Taming 100
Lore 100
Anatomy 100
Archery 100
Tactics 100
Magery 100
Meditation 100

this would give you the medi melee your looking for with out having to wear armor because of the range of archery, maybe a 100/75/50 stat base, relying on your 50 mana for healing

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Well Gating all the time makes room for unwanted gate hoppers..but if that isnt a problem for you then a pure dexxer tamer might be fun.

Othertimes you might get seperated and a gate wouldn't help you.

I was thinking of maybe 50-75 magery.

My friend has a dexxer temp and is training taming gradually, he doesnt know what to do with it yet. When I had this idea I posted it here to present some of the brainstorming provided by any who post to him for ideas on how to make a hybrid tamer work.

I like the second temp though...awesome. Though I think maybe leather might suit well and a melee skill.

I seen him fight with an alteration of a tank with anatomy instead of wrestling vs a tank. He had only 50 intel 75 dex and suited himself in leather. I couldn't believe it when he won. He just kept them on defensive.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Pro

Post by Pro »

You wont kill anything with just a mare

5x mage
gm lore
gm taming

best tamer pvp template

Failivrin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Failivrin »

How will you heal your mare with a dexer tamer with out making him a complete useless dexer? The Mare will get slaughtered.
Here exists only one rule, do what ever you want, using any means possible, welcome to UOSA.
- Regards, Failivrin aka Kheran, Nazgul, Falasquil

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

The template is made to have control over the beast only. It's basically to take out when your tamer friend is on who can heal it with vet and magery as an alternative to lumbering around a bunch of dragons when you two go out. Having two mares fight instead of two dragons.

Wanted to see some people's ideas on how to make it work.

The 5x mage with taming and lore seems best. But I wanted some views on how to play it like it was more of a dexxer, like a headless horseman or something. Or orchead horseman :lol:

It doesn't have to be 7X GM.

I have heard stories of mares killing balrons from Tekai with Lady Bina.

It's just a discussion. I don't know if it would be put into practice.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Volo

Post by Volo »

Archaic I always enjoy reading your post you are always thinking outside of the box.I would personally go with the archer template,a nice vanq heavy x-bow and have the mare tank sounds fun.
"Hangin in the J since back in the day"The Jhelom Regulars

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Thank you. I put forth alot of things that even I wouldn't try because I have no room to. I am just trying to diversify the shard with some more fun template ideas. Actually what started this was seeing Matron's stealth herder which made me start to think what purpose it would serve, when I seen the purpose I understood it to be utter genius. It was an inspiration.

Now I want to try to widdle out a few niche temp ideas myself for other players hopefully new players to explore with to encourage a wide spectrum of playstyles. Lately I have been presenting these ideas to the forum readers to come up with the blueprints to these ideas themselves. I have my own ideas on how to do them I just want to see others.

Another thing I am pushing for is complimentary characters to encourage more interaction also. You see this alot in guilds that have their acts together.

Volo

Post by Volo »

My main char Volo im currently building to be a stealth bard its been pretty fun so far.But I like the ideas I still have a few char slots left so keep the ideas comin.
"Hangin in the J since back in the day"The Jhelom Regulars

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Stealth bards when done right are way cool.
The best thing about that it leaves the PKs scratching their heads.

"I Know there is a bard around here somewhere!" :twisted:

Failivrin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Failivrin »

I understand how you are thinking, but personally I just see it as a waste of time putting down the effort of GMing taming on a "master tamer's assistant/sidekick" that would be totaly useless on its own. Anyone with Taming in the high 90s knows that you dont need any sidekick to maximize your profit/efficency as a tamer. Only reason would be for RP, and I dont do that.

But sure, If I would have unlimited of time of my hands and just happend to love skilling the most god damn boring skill in game, taming, then I would make

95 Taming ( I know you said GM)
95 Lore
GM Archery
GM Anatomy
GM Healing
GM Tactics
GM Resist
10 Magery

And I wouldnt use him for anything else then PvP protection for the "master" tamer, which really isnt needed.
1) engage enemy
2) dissmount
3) all kill, hope the uggly horse gets in a hit and burns of a a horrible nerfed firebreather :x
4) attack last target with a +25 Heavy X-Bow of Vanq and Ghouls Touchs
5) if the f*cker isnt dead, hope he gets caught off guard delay him a second to use a punch so the mare can pull of an EB or one more hit
6) Loot the target clean
7) Back to reality....
Here exists only one rule, do what ever you want, using any means possible, welcome to UOSA.
- Regards, Failivrin aka Kheran, Nazgul, Falasquil

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Or get him in a corner or between a rock and a hard place with an energy field and lay in on him with melee and hooves.

There are other instances and tactics.

Let me try to purpose one.

Weapon
Tactics
Anatomy 80
magery 45
Healing 95
Animal Lore 90
Taming 100
Resist 90

Might be a good build.He could hunt with Dragons,Wyrms with a Tamer, or attempt dirty PVP fighting. The plus side when swarmed by mobs you can stay armored, heal the tamer with bandages while he heals you with magery, the tamer heals the pets with bandages and both of you together would have a greater control over a larger number of beasts.

Alone you could go out with your mare and recall around. If you have an enticer they can open a gate and lure your pets through in an easy macro in a single party system message prompt which can set up for an easier ambush due to greater mobility.

Even could set up multiple areas in which to gate so everywhere they run they have a chance into running into another beast. Which might be a handful and would be worthy of the attention of another player retrieving one pet then luring it or another to another location.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

KydVicious

Post by KydVicious »

Doomrider Temp

Str 100
Dex 85
Int 40

Animal Taming 100
Animal Lore 100
Swords 100
Tactics 100
Healing 100
Magic Resist 100
Magery 100

He's pretty much a dexxer with the mare as a backup, use potions for buffing and has a little mana for a mini heal or two but can crack off a few GH's for the mare if it gets into trouble. Mana is tight so he'll have to be a potion whore and wear some decent gear vs. other dexxers and buff with potions, get a vanq katana, carry some reflect items and use mana wisely in a mage battle. He would have to stick close to the mare and use it in close-quarter melee otherwise a mounted opponent is gonna be at an advantage.

Problem is, without the mare he is just a mounted dexxer w/o anatomy but it could be done. :D

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Mares are a heavily camped creature and setting up a whole template to use something people tend to sell for 25 to 50k per just seems silly. Just go tame a few dragons that respawn fairly fast in destard.

I see a lot of down time on your tamer when you get pked and lose the mares.

I don't like being negative but tamers are prime targets and there's a 90% chance you won't survive an encounter with some of the more experienced pk groups.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

GuardianKnight wrote:Mares are a heavily camped creature and setting up a whole template to use something people tend to sell for 25 to 50k per just seems silly. Just go tame a few dragons that respawn fairly fast in destard.

I see a lot of down time on your tamer when you get pked and lose the mares.

I don't like being negative but tamers are prime targets and there's a 90% chance you won't survive an encounter with some of the more experienced pk groups.
The template I posted Can Control Other Pets Besides Mares], and is made primarily to Coincide With Another Tamer] to have greater control over a larger number of pets, and except in the rare instance of dirty Pk/PVPing is never alone. In case anybody else seems to miss these two points.

He is made as a Dexxer Variant of the Basic Tamer purposely to stay armoured and be able to heal the tamer vet in the middle of a heavy mob while not losing that effectiveness and compliments the hunting/protective process by being able to command both his mount and other pets as well as having himself being able to inflict damage without having to cast and target getting interrupted while doing so.

On the contrary he would be the one that rushes in to combat the interrupts and synchs against him.

If a Halbard baring full armor wearing dexxer with 95/120 stamina coming at you with 2 Dragons/Wyrms behind him through a gate with a Blade spirit precasted to block your exit doesn't seem to get the point across in what I am trying to say...say your peace at Chaos Shrine in a few days or your local healer because your words will be few against hally hits and a couple bursts of flame.

Go kamikaze even dying a few times if you must, they'll begin to realize that the very real and highly probable threat of statloss imposed on even one of theirs is greater then anything they could do to you. With such power behind you, wouldn't it feel better to go forth in a fearless charge rather then succumb to a humiliating retreat? Ask yourself this GuardianKnight, wouldn't you like to have someone else Gate a temp like this in to take PK's by surprise when they came across you hunting alone?

Really if you made a Healer/Vet/Gater set up for your escape in town and/or come through to dispel a summons for you, you could very well make constant drops and solo with this temp on most hunting grounds.

I may make this template myself now, if any other tamers out there would like the company of course. I would have to drop the cartographer I am not too excited about anyway in exchange and instead put that skill on my bard. I have another Tamer Vet already, and in all reality it didnt take me long to get her into the high 90's.