Hotkey Topic Ideas.

Topics related to Second Age
Oppo

Hotkey Topic Ideas.

Post by Oppo »

I've played UO for a longtime and never asked about hotkeys. I never know which keys go best, especially for pvp.... spells, pots etc. Also I use a laptop so there is less keys to use. Anyone help me out with their hotkey plan to get ideas from?

It would be good to buy a keyboard with few buttons you could plug into usb, so you could have extra keys.

Any advice would be great.

thanks

Lazarus

Re: Hotkey Topic Ideas.

Post by Lazarus »

Never thought about getting a keyboard with extra keys but all my spells are the F keys. Ctrl + A, Z for arm/disarm. ALT+M is target self. Thats all I got really and its been that way for 10 years. I do want to do some tinkering with Razor to see if I could set a macro/hotkey for recalling right away.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Here's my hotkeys you can use as a guide!

-----------------------------------------------

mouse wheel(up) - last target
mouse wheel(down) - target self

f1 - cure
f2 - greater heal
f3 - heal
f4 - paralize

f5 - recall
f6 - weaken
f7 - feeblemind
f8 - clumsy

f9 - reveal
f10 - dispel field
f11 - dispel
f12 - telekensis

` - teleport

1 - explosion
2 - e bolt
3 - lightning
4 - magic arrow
5 - flame strike

q - harm
w - attack last combatant (razor)
e - fireball
r - poison

a - equip right(hally) (razor)
s - equip left(katana) (razor)

d - target random murderer (razor)
f - target random grey humanoid (razor)
alt+d - target random enemy humanoid (razor) (for orange players)

t - meteor swarm
g - chain lightning

alt+1 - strength
alt+2 - feeblemind
alt+3 - agility

alt+q - heal potion
alt+w - cure potion
alt+e - refresh potion
alt+a - strength potion
alt+s - agility potion

alt + . - hiding
alt + / - magic trap

alt+f9 - reactive armor
alt+f10 - magic reflection
alt+f12 - protection

z - toggle wand/staff (razor)
x - use item in hand (razor)

http://www.easy-share.com/1909372368/macrhos.txt - file to DL.
Last edited by Psilo on Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:19 am, edited 5 times in total.

benny-

Post by benny- »

I've completely changed my macro setup a number of times over the years. I think the best way to go about setting it up is to write down all of the hotkeys you will need to have access to (you don't need hotkeys for some spells or skills...mark or itemid can be left to icons :wink: ). Then try and get an idea for where your hotkeys need to be, so that the ones needed quickly or used often are going to be within reach. Then I try to have mine setup in a way that's easy to remember, so I'm not playing for the next month trying to figure out where I put my recall at.

My setup....

F1-F12 and the three keys next to it are my main pvp spells.

Just below, my d numbers, are my pots.

Then I use alt + my letter keys for my utility spells and skills so that they're easy to remember. Alt+T Teleport, Alt+I Invisibility, Alt+R Recall, Alt+W Wall of Stone, Alt+H Hiding etc.

I prefer a setup that doesn't require me to toggle back an forth between enabled/disabled hotkeys...this is the best I've found for me.
- Elisud

Oppo

Post by Oppo »

thanks,
this list has helped my greatly.
hard pickin up every bit of this game by yourself.
I'm all ready to hotkey it up now

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I would disagree with using the F keys as "pvp" keys.

You want these keys to be accessible without moving your hand, just like you want be able to play chords on the guitar (and pluck strings) without moving your hand, and just like you use the "home row" or whatever they call it these days for typing.

To me, that's the following:

`1234
QWER
ASDF
ZXCV

with and without the ALT key.

pablo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by pablo »

I suck at pvp, but feel I'm pretty good on my bard. Here is the best thing I have found for the 3 main buttons I use that are perfect for a bard.

Mouse wheel scroll up - Next target or last target, but the next target is pretty cool if you can control the speed of the scroll.
Mouse wheel scroll down - Hiding...if you use hiding. I have found this to be super valuable. Besides being great in dungeons, it always hides you when you are buying from NPC vendors. When you scroll down through his list, you hide unknowingly, making it a little harder for that thief that haunts shops. If you use hiding try it.
Mouse wheel middle click - provo - you use it so much as a bard, never look at the keyboard.

I have a mouse with like 7 clickers, so I use mouse wheel up for next target, and I have last target on one of the little clickers. That way I can scroll up to the target I need, middle wheel for provo, little clicker for last target, wheel up for next target, little clicker for last target. May be an easier way, but this works for me.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Wow you guys are intense with those keys.

Quick question. How do you set up a key to drink a pot?

pablo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by pablo »

Lazarus wrote:Wow you guys are intense with those keys.

In Razor under hot keys, click to open items, then click to open potions...just set the hotkey on each pot you need

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

pablo wrote:

In Razor under hot keys, click to open items, then click to open potions...just set the hotkey on each pot you need
Oh ok. So it will just drink say "a yellow potion" no matter where it is in your bag?

pablo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by pablo »

Lazarus wrote:
pablo wrote:

Oh ok. So it will just drink say "a yellow potion" no matter where it is in your bag?
Yes, just make sure you only have greaters in your bag...if you have any of the lesser pots it will just target a random of that type of pot.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I would disagree with using the F keys as "pvp" keys.

You want these keys to be accessible without moving your hand, just like you want be able to play chords on the guitar (and pluck strings) without moving your hand, and just like you use the "home row" or whatever they call it these days for typing.
I don't know about other people's macros. But if you take a look at mine, the important F keys are accesible with what I have.

f1, f2, f3, f4 are all spells that I need to cast fast. heal, gheal, cure ect. They are close to 1 2 3 4 5 q w e r t a s d f g z x c v b which is where most of my other "need to cast fast" spells are. All with my right hand, and they are alongside with equip and attack last combatant so those are easily accessed.

I use mouse wheel for target self and last target.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

I have the worst and stupidest imaginable hotkeys from years of sharing my account with my brother.

Some excerpts:

Ctrl-G greater healer
F2 teleport
alt-, mini heal
Shift-Caps Lock Energy bolt
Control-2 Explosion
F9 - last target

Yes, I have tried playing with new sensible setups, but I get frustrated and revert fast. Can't teach an ol' dog new tricks.

/share

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

just to share this cause I learned it recently (call me a noob :P)

I was looking forever to find a way to utilize my F1-F12 keys as universal keys for all characters, so my mage my dxxer my whatever would all know where recall teleport gate mark whatnot like that is...but then I also wanted profiles for each template, such as my profile for my tank I'd like him to use 1234,qwer,asdf,zxvc etc, I setup my universal keys in uo, copied that file, then my profile hotkeys I setup however I like. Now I can use the Toggle hotkeys on/off button and use my keyboard, AND still have access to my universal F1-F12 keys..

maybe I'm the only one who didnt think of this, but if this helps some one else like it did me then this post was worthwhile.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Psilo wrote: mouse wheel(up) - last target
mouse wheel(down) - target self
I tried using the mouse wheel for last target and target self but it seemed it would que the next spell for what ever target I last targeted with the mouse wheel, and it would drop the next spell right after I cast so I couldn't hold a spell. If I was careful not to click the mouse wheel more than once it wouldn't do it but that was to much to think about in pvp, which sucks cuz i really liked it there. So now its on cntl+`(the button left of #1)
I like to keep all beneficial spells and tele/invis/mr/gheal wand items together and all offensive spells together so I use the f keys for beneficial and the d# keys for offensive spells.

q - equip hally
w - unequip hally
e - equip faster weapon (katana/broadsword)
r - unequip faster weapon

a - heal potion
s - cure potion
d - refresh potion
-
z - strength potion
x - dex potion
` (the button left of 1 button) - purple potion
again, I separated keys for buttons I might need to press to save my life from ones I won't. Also any key that brings up a target cursor I like to keep near control/shift so I can rest my pinky finger on control/shift

c - set last target

I like that "home row" key idea with the
qwer
asdf
zxcv

I'm thinking of moving all my offensive spells there since what I don't like about my current set-up is that I have to move my hand around to much and I can't seem to find a comfortable spot for target keys like blue/gray/red, since keeping all the categories separate is my "thing". I need to just go get myself a full gaming keyboard with the macro pad on the left.

Also I wish there was a hotkey to toggle always run, I'd put it on spacebar.

Cheers
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*