Cartography

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Dridan2

Cartography

Post by Dridan2 »

So i just read the guide question is if you don't got 50 say you got 37 skill gain i take im supposed to create local maps till 50? is this is incorrect or someone has a better way to get to 50 without recreating a toon can you let me know

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Cartography

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Try this guide:

0-30 buy from npc
30-62: Local Maps
62-65: City Maps
65-67: Sea Charts
67-99.5: World Maps
99.5-100: Level 2-4 Tattered Treasure Maps

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Arkosh Kovasz wrote:Try this guide:

0-30 buy from npc
This, except I would GM from level 5 maps. It took me roughly 15-20 level 5 maps to gm.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

I bought from NPC then went straight to regional map, then at about 43ish I found full worlds getting better gains. (though if you are trying to come out the cheapest I'd stick with the regional maps until 60sih, it is a trade off for slower skill gain but making more usable maps)

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I did Regional (Local) to 66 and then switched directly to World. Judging by my failure rate (you can only gain a skill if you have a chance for success and a chance for failure), I'd bet you could get well into the 70's with Regional.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

MatronDeWinter wrote:

0-30 buy from npc
This, except I would GM from level 5 maps. It took me roughly 15-20 level 5 maps to gm.
If you can succeed at decoding Level 5 maps at 99.5 skill, what's the point of raising it to GM? And for that matter... at what Cart skill can you actually succeed at decoding a Level 5 map? Because it would make sense to me to lock it at that level, right?

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Mikel123 wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:

0-30 buy from npc
If you can succeed at decoding Level 5 maps at 99.5 skill, what's the point of raising it to GM? And for that matter... at what Cart skill can you actually succeed at decoding a Level 5 map? Because it would make sense to me to lock it at that level, right?
The point is so that you can have a kick ass title! You can successfully decode at 99.5 cartography (run a razor macro to keep double-clicking the map; you'll fail alot, but eventually decode it.) I've heard you can go as low as 99.2 cart, but I haven't tested it.

Just jump on the test server, set cartography 99.2 and see if you can decode the devious map in your bank. I did this to test lockpicking; completely mindblowing how at 99.9 you don't understand how to manipulate a lvl 5 lock, but GM and it quickly yields? wtf...
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

You can now GM from world maps, follow Arkosh's guide but instead of stopping at 99.5 keep going until GM.

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 853#p98853
The following additions were made to Patch 117:

* Treasure Maps are no longer trivial at less than GM cartography.
* All Player crafted maps trivial skill level is now 100; (Thanks Mikel123)
* Cartography will gain on failure
* A compensating reduction in overall cartography gain rate was applied.
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 7&start=45

Bold=This means you can GM from world maps.
?

Strabo

Post by Strabo »

I just GM'd Cart. the other day. Due to serious cash problems I had to stick with regional (city) maps longer than I anticipated so that I would have more usable maps to sell. What I didn't expect was to GM from doing only city maps. I tried a few runs of sea charts but they paid less on resale than city so, I stuck with the money. I know it took a lot longer to finish it but, I was able to help finance my mage and inscriber. Just thought I'd pass this along

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Yes, at this point, I think copying ANY map has the same chance of success, and thus the same chance at a skill gain, all the way to GM.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

So does anyone care to write a sweet razor macro for cart? It's next on my list of characters to make, and there haven't been any guides written since difficulty based cart was removed. I've never done cart so I have nfi about the skill tbh.

Anyone care to explain what will give good gains and why? What would be a good razor macro to set up? How much does it cost, how long does it take and how many blank maps do you need?
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Edgeucated

Post by Edgeucated »

nightshark wrote: Anyone care to explain what will give good gains and why? What would be a good razor macro to set up? How much does it cost, how long does it take and how many blank maps do you need?

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Edgeucated wrote:
nightshark wrote: Anyone care to explain what will give good gains and why? What would be a good razor macro to set up? How much does it cost, how long does it take and how many blank maps do you need?
0-30 buy from npc
30-62: Local (Detailed) Maps
62-65: City (Regional) Maps
67-100: World Maps

Additionally, if you have any tmaps, spam decoding them as soon as you hit these skills. Depending on how many you have, they could save you some time.
?: Level 1 (Not sure if you'd get worthwhile gains after starting at 30 or 50)
60: Level 2
70: Level 3
90: Level 4

I started at 53.5 and pre-bought my blanks. Took 12250 blank maps (98 full bags worth!) which cost 36750gp. Think I used a dozen or so tmaps as well. You will get somewhere between 10 and 20k back selling your finished maps (I trashbarreled half of mine).

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I finished cart ages ago, i posted how in another thread:

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... hy#p166046

For the record, rammar, cart isn't difficulty based so it makes 0 difference which map you make from 0-GM. Someone should update the wiki already.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

nightshark wrote:I finished cart ages ago, i posted how in another thread:

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... hy#p166046

For the record, rammar, cart isn't difficulty based so it makes 0 difference which map you make from 0-GM. Someone should update the wiki already.
I thought not, as I had fairly consistent gains regardless of which map I made when I checked in on it. I did most of it while I was sleeping though, so I wasn't completely sure.

This doesn't apply to decoding tmaps though does it? A lvl1 will not give as much chance to gain as a lvl4 when at 90 skill.