Speech parsing

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Manfromx
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Speech parsing

Post by Manfromx »

I don't know if this has been brought up before or not.

Back in the day I used to make my Vendor buy / Vendor sell macro's a little more interesting.

Such as "Hail vendor I'd like to purchase some goods!"

On OSI servers this would manage to get parsed out as "Hail vendor purchase" and it would work.

Here you just get ignored lol.

I know this doesn't matter to most people since even on OSI everything was the shortest it could be. However for RP or just to have it make more sense in my head I'd like to see this reincorporated.

Anyone else remember this?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Speech parsing

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I assumed that this would work here. I do remember people doing that though.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i think you can fake it here - i always assumed it was faked on osi

you type in your razor macro key for key

Record

: Vendor sell (enter)
Vendor might I purchase some of your super fine kicks?

End

so all around you will jsut see the fancy line, while the vendor only reads the first line

itl fake it but by annoying
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Donk

Post by Donk »

AFAIK that was the original intention of the speech system. The point wasn't for you to say "vendor buy" to trigger a transaction, that was just the minimum required. I think you were supposed to be saying "Shopkeeper, I'd like to buy some of your wares" or "I'd like to see my bank box, please".
<Zedd[afk> if theres ever a uosa convention and you pked me once ur getting ran over with a truck

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I think what is trying to be explained here, is that npc's should be able to find "vendor" and "buy" in a given string.

For instance, now they likely look for "vendor buy" and not an instance of "vendor", and "buy" seperately.

Manfromx
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Manfromx »

Exactly

I might use that whisper trick for now though. It's a good idea.

Hopefully this isn't too hard to fix. Though I admit it's low priority :D.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I was not at all aware that you couldn't do this as described. I'm on it. Thanks for the report.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I hate hi-jacking these threads, but Derrick has already responded to the issue, and I have something to say which I don't feel warrants it's own thread.

Currently bankers, vendors, guards, NPCs in general and pets are experiencing issues with you talking to them. The NPC you are currently talking to will remain the NPC you are talking to unless
a) It is no longer the closest NPC
b) You say goodbye

This is probably correct, but there are also issues:
-You cannot give your pet a command while you are talking to an NPC that is in the same tile radius. ie, if I'm 1 tile from a stablemaster who I've just bought a horse from, the horse won't respond to "all follow me" unless the horse is at least 1 tile closer to me than the stablemaster. The problem is that the stablemaster will respond to your commands (with "What?", "Excuse me?"), and the pet won't hear you at all.

-Guards will sometimes begin talking to you, especially if you have a "vendor buy bank guards" macro. If a guard starts talking to you, it's impossible to open your bank box unless you get out of it's earshot. The guard will just keep responding to everything you say, and the bank won't open. It wasn't like that on OSI, saying "bank" within range of a banker would open your bank every time.

There are tonnes of other issues this causes, but if the root problem is solved then all the issues should disappear.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Manfromx
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Manfromx »

Sorry. I don't know what thou talkest about.

;)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

nightshark wrote:There are tonnes of other issues this causes, but if the root problem is solved then all the issues should disappear.
Thanks, this seems a pretty serious issue, and i think i can fix this.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Downs

Post by Downs »

Derrick wrote: Thanks, this seems a pretty serious issue, and i think i can fix this.

i smell another water barrel delay!!!!!
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Downs wrote:
Derrick wrote: Thanks, this seems a pretty serious issue, and i think i can fix this.

i smell another water barrel delay!!!!!
Yeah, every time I get on that something else comes up; it's cursed. This is an easy one though i hope. I try to pick things that fit into how much time i have at the moment, which right now is pretty thin. This will hopefully be fixed with a mini-publish tommorrow though.