Lockpicking

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
tenduil

Lockpicking

Post by tenduil »

Hate to create a new lockpicking topic yet all the previous one's deal with getting lockpicking to GM from the 90's not how to get to 90 in the first place.

I have tried to gain using 50 tinker/carpentry lock boxes but I must be doing something wrong along with the lock/relocking is very annoying.

Any tips?
Faust wrote: Why are you questioning everything when you are too lazy to find this stuff yourself?
The whole approach on your part is rather ironic. Refuse to do the work in finding the information yourself but rebute anything that is presented to you.
Awesomeness

dog1706
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Lockpicking

Post by dog1706 »

So, finally i started my fisherman/treasure hunter!
I started with 50 Lockpicking...

To start raising this skill you will need some lockable boxes made by someone who has 50 tinker skill. You may try to find them on vendor, but it is easier to create a new char with 50 carpentry and 50 tinkering.
I made 4 lockable boxes for my treasure hunter, bought some lockpicks and started writing my macro...

Macro to raise lockpicking:

Double Click on the key from the first box
Wait for Target
Absolute Target (the first box)
Pause 1.00sec

Double Click on the key from the second box
Wait for Target
Absolute Target (the second box)
Pause 1.00sec

Double Click on the key from the third box
Wait for Target
Absolute Target (the third box)
Pause 1.00sec

Double Click on the key from the fourth box
Wait for Target
Absolute Target (the fourth box)
Pause 1.00sec

Double Click (lockpicks)
Wait for Target
Absolute Target (our first box)
Pause 4.00sec

Double Click (lockpicks)
Wait for Target
Absolute Target (second box)
Pause 4.00sec

Double Click (lockpicks)
Wait for Target
Absolute Target (third box)
Pause 4.00sec

Double Click (lockpicks)
Wait for Target
Absolute Target (fourth box)
Pause 4.00sec

-------------------------------------------------------------

That's it. after this, i let my char at home macroing...
i dont really remember how much time it took to reach 74.4 (real), but the problem is that the skill stopped raising.

To continue raising you need to get some GM locked boxes. In my case, i found a vendor, near the Vesper Bank, that was selling them. With them and this macro you will reach 95.0 of the skill. After this you will need to start digging treasures and/or open treasure chests in dungeons to raise lockpicking...

P.S.: for those who is looking for 75 tinker made locked boxes on trading forum, dont bother, just get 50 and GM made and start working

This guide was made by Mamont, I just copied and pasted it here. It works and so does the macro part. My lockpicking is 95 real from it. Finding 4th lvl chests to pick is the hard part.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

0 - 30 Buy from NPC
30 - 50 Use a 30/30 tinker box (create a new char with 30 tinker/30 carp)
50 - 72 Use a 50/50 tinker box (create a new char with 50 tinker/50 carp)
72 - 94.7 Use a GM tinker box

Using a single box, use a macro like this:

If (SysMessage "appear")
Double Click (key)
Wait for Target
Absolute Target (your box)
Pause 1.00 second
End If
Double Click (lockpicks)
Wait for Target
Pause 3.00 second
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

tenduil

Post by tenduil »

Thx! I'll try that tonight when I get home.
Faust wrote: Why are you questioning everything when you are too lazy to find this stuff yourself?
The whole approach on your part is rather ironic. Refuse to do the work in finding the information yourself but rebute anything that is presented to you.
Awesomeness

Duul al'Vath
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Duul al'Vath »

hiicha wrote:0 - 30 Buy from NPC
30 - 50 Use a 30/30 tinker box (create a new char with 30 tinker/30 carp)
50 - 72 Use a 50/50 tinker box (create a new char with 50 tinker/50 carp)
72 - 94.7 Use a GM tinker box

Using a single box, use a macro like this:

If (SysMessage "appear")
Double Click (key)
Wait for Target
Pause 1.00 second
End If
Double Click (lockpicks)
Wait for Target
Pause 3.00 second

The above works but wastes a little time.
Try this. You do have to lock the box by hand the first time though.

Double Click (lockpicks)
Wait for Target
Pause 4.00 second
If (SysMessage "yields")
Double Click (key)
Wait for Target
Pause 1.00 second
End If

This doesn't require the macro to to try and pick an unlocked box to get the trigger to relock the box.

Thelonious Black and Otmar the Mad of the UBB
Arms & Armor by Thelonious Black

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Got it, working had to include an "if" with the word appear cause it would de-sync.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Bag

Post by Bag »

does lockpicking w/gloves make a difference at all? trying to figure out the most efficient way of dungeon-chest-picking my way from 95 to GM. this skill is enormously tedious.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Bag wrote:does lockpicking w/gloves make a difference at all? trying to figure out the most efficient way of dungeon-chest-picking my way from 95 to GM. this skill is enormously tedious.
Didn't do anything different for me; took me 2 solid weeks of dungeon picking to GM it.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I'm at 95 lockpicking and have been venturing into the dungeons but out of the 10-15 chest I've picked I have gotten only .1 skill gain. Are all chest in dungeons the ones that yield skill or is it certain ones? Where do you go to gain skill at 95?

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Lazarus wrote:I'm at 95 lockpicking and have been venturing into the dungeons but out of the 10-15 chest I've picked I have gotten only .1 skill gain. Are all chest in dungeons the ones that yield skill or is it certain ones? Where do you go to gain skill at 95?
I think there are a total of 14 level 4 chests throughout Brittania in specific dungeons/crypts, the rest are just random 1-3. There are also a few in T2A, but they're more of a pain to get to, especially if you're a house-gater.

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

Hicha wrote:
I think there are a total of 14 level 4 chests throughout Brittania in specific dungeons/crypts, the rest are just random 1-3.
Can you provide a list of the level 4 chests? I just created my first lockpick character ever last night.
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Hicha wrote:
Lazarus wrote:I'm at 95 lockpicking and have been venturing into the dungeons but out of the 10-15 chest I've picked I have gotten only .1 skill gain. Are all chest in dungeons the ones that yield skill or is it certain ones? Where do you go to gain skill at 95?
I think there are a total of 14 level 4 chests throughout Brittania in specific dungeons/crypts, the rest are just random 1-3. There are also a few in T2A, but they're more of a pain to get to, especially if you're a house-gater.
Are you saying chest themselves or spots? 14 isn't alot at all. :lol:

How can you tell a lvl 4 vs 1-3? By the look or just the loot? I can definitely tell the lvl 1 chest and crates because they dont have much gold. I think I've hit a chest that had a noticable more amount of regs and gems in it. Not sure if that was a level 4 or not.

Unstablecorn

Post by Unstablecorn »

Just take your detect hiding to 60 and you can pick any lock. (once your lock picking is at 95 that is.

Bag

Post by Bag »

Your best bet is to hit a rune library and just recall to the spots where L4 chests spawn. Only way I know of to determine if a chest is L4 is that I fail to pick it like 50 times before I actually succeed. I've spent a good many hours picking so far and I've gone frm 94.7 to 95.1 picking... It's just a long, long, boring process.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I macro'd on GM tinker boxes til exactly 95.