Please don't remove guild chat, here's why.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Psilo

Please don't remove guild chat, here's why.

Post by Psilo »

After reading the recent patch where Derrick discussed this:
"This patch was inspired by this thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18463 in an attempt to catch up on a lot of the little stuff that's been pending for ages. Due to time constraints not everything that was hoped to be included got in. Guild Chat and Parties were on the chopping block for this patch, but didn't make it; these two will almost certainly be removed in the next patch "
Please hear me out.

Let's keep guild chat in the game so we don't have to open ICQ and AIM! Thanks 8)
Last edited by Psilo on Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Please don't remove guild chat, here's why.

Post by Roser »

Aye, Don't take out guild chat.

Guild chat does allow for some very inaccurate things like Gate bot's and Archer bot's, which as fun as they are, prolly shouldn't be in the game.

So, perhaps there is a way to script guild chat to not be recognized as a system message?

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

I'm for keeping them. Less reason to keep hopping out of game for communications sake.

As I said in a previous thread, it wont stop bots. But I guess if its considered a mechanic, oh well.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Rammar wrote:I'm for keeping them. Less reason to keep hopping out of game for communications sake.

As I said in a previous thread, it wont stop bots. But I guess if its considered a mechanic, oh well.
Using guild chat to for "bot commands" can still be done with Easy UO, which I'm sure many people use. It can't be detected, people can tell you they don't use it all day...and still do. :roll:

Guild chat in! Besides if a bard actually uses a bot guild chat command to moongate him to safety so be it, lol. Enough bards die a day anyway, the one that uses a gate bot and gets away from a 3-4 man red gank should live :wink:

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

NEA
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I would also go further and say that not only do we need to keep Guild Chat but that we NEED "Alliance chat".

This would let guilds AND their allies chat with them while looking at UO and playing UO instead of looking at an ugly black/white IRC screen.

IMO I really find IRC takes away from the atmosphere of UO, I dislike switching back and forth. ICQ isn't as bad because it isn't huge, but many people don't use ICQ especially newbies which are being effected the most without guild chat. IRC and Ventrilo is dominating many of the community, a lot of the active players use it so I believe Guild chat isn't a big problem as far as "interaction". The guilds and players that play, will play. The players that log in for tourneys and IRC will do just that either way.

If we had allies chat AND guild chat, think about it. Less time spent in IRC altogether, if you need to PM someone who's not in your guild and alliance then you can. But it's not necessary to be in IRC unless you're PMING someone who is afk or just "posting" a message for people to read when they get around to it. Since there will be less chat and more in-game chat, the IRC channel won't get spammed so it works for posting well.

Like I said IRC takes away from the game, UO is much more fun when you're in your guild house sitting in a chair talking to not only the guild mates that are present with you in the house but also ones who are in the depts of the dungeons. IRC sucks.....please let us play more UO!

Community in UO is the most important aspect of the game. This is a social game with a beautiful interface with an awesome color palette used that you don't see in 3d gaming today. changing "mechanics" for "accuracy" and damaging the community aspect while keeping even worse inaccuracies like anti-social silver grind CTF/tourneys is insanity!
Last edited by Psilo on Fri May 21, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

I say that if we keep guild chat in, we make a rule that no one can bitch about the automated events anymore or risk the banhammer. :mrgreen:
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

TheEttinKing

Post by TheEttinKing »

guild chat has got to go to be ERA Accurate!

Jed Clampett on drugs story By the EttinKing.

Let me tell ya story bout a man named Jed poor man barley kept his family feed then one day he was smoking on a joint and zedd hit him with his truck...Twice.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

TheEttinKing wrote:guild chat has got to go to be ERA Accurate!
Are you being sarcastic or serious? Sorry I couldn't tell.

But my response to that is the whole point system and automated events must be removed to be ERA Accurate :wink:

There's a building in Jhelom called "Tourney Info". What the heck is that? And a tournament master? Where am I and what the heck are these red moongates popping up in every town I goto? I am Definitely not 1999. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Psilo on Fri May 21, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Psilo wrote:Using guild chat to for "bot commands" can still be done with Easy UO, which I'm sure many people use. It can't be detected, people can tell you they don't use it all day...and still do. :roll:
Its not hard to do and still be completely legal. I wasn't even considering illegal clients/utilities, which shouldn't be a factor in the decision.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Another view of guild chat is that it removes the need for guilds to have a central meeting ground. They no longer need to group up to discuss issues but can continue to play the game as a solo player discussing with their guild as they play alone.

As of now no one in a guild needs to hang out where they might expect to meet up with their guildies. This may also help with the dead guild town conversations as guild chat deffinately leads away from grouping in these areas in game.

I do think that in the same patch where these chats are removed some work needs to be done on the Message bulletin boards to make them more useable.

It is also a bad argument that 'because of this is a certain way therefore its ok for this to be a certain way'.
The discussion on why somthing should remain should be focused on that subject.
This thread will turn into a 'if you do this than you have to do this' thread which wont end up being productive.

'Because I dont feel this is accurate than it is ok for this to be inaccurate' etc and we go all the way down the line until we have a custom built sphere shard :P

an example is 'because we cant remove barrels using pitchers of water, we should be able to have new crafting menus'

in an exagerated form its clear to see why these types of arguments dont hold water.
Last edited by BlackFoot on Fri May 21, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

BlackFoot wrote:Another view of guild chat is that it removes the need for guilds to have a central meeting ground. They no longer need to group up to discuss issues but can continue to play the game as a solo player discussing with their guild as they play alone.
As of now no one in a guild needs to hang out where they might expect to meet up with their guildies. This may also help with the dead guild town conversations as guild chat deffinately leads away from grouping in these areas in game.
It depends on the guild. Obviously guilds like TG, RIP, MYM, -3- no matter if guild chat is in or out, don't meet at their town to discuss matters as they are just pvpers and don't really do "group activities". They are allied pvpers who use ventrilo!

So even if guild chat is in, the only people it affects negatively are the people who actually play the game.

Think about this now, guilds like C^V, Zsv, and PoV actually DO meet at their guild town/central spot. POO hangs around Brittain bank and the graveyard, it's where they go when they want to find some guild members. Zsv's tower always had people inside and outside of it chatting, dueling sparing. Guild chat helped us converge faster, no need to get on icq/irc and remember screennames. Plus the people who forget to log onto ICQ/IRC are left out.

Old screenshots of Zsv when it was an active "normal" guild(no longer an active guild). Note the use of in-game speaking in the 2nd photo. Don't assume all guilds are anti-social, even with IRC and guild chat many guilds still play the game as it was meant to be played. Things are only going to get complicated and annoying without guild chat, and like I said this isn't 1998 we don't have the luxury of thousands of people to play and interact with.
Attachments
guild.jpg
guild.jpg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 5051 times
pvptalk.jpg
pvptalk.jpg (185.33 KiB) Viewed 5045 times
zsvbattle.jpg
zsvbattle.jpg (152.36 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
Last edited by Psilo on Fri May 21, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mary Read

Post by Mary Read »

I agree... I find it funny events and the likes are allowed but something like guild chat is going to get booted.

Makes zero sense to me.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Mary, can you disable your sig in this thread? Haha it stretched out the page and cut text off, and just after I got done cropping those 3 screenshots so they didn't. :P

Mary Read

Post by Mary Read »

I forget everyone isn't using big widescreen monitors...... :P

How is it now? I downsized it a bit. Reload/Refresh whatever... should be smaller.