Patch 130 - May 21, 2010: "a big patch of small goodies?"

Information on the latest Server Patches
Pro

Re: Patch 130 - May 21, 2010: "a big patch of small goodies?

Post by Pro »

marmalade wrote:I'm pretty sure that before this patch was implemented, bonnets were not on the tailor npcs sell list. they are now. also, the bonnets that you can buy are not dyable.
bonnets4lyfe

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I pretty sure these area spells (chain/swarm) used to do full damage on multiple targets (lik EQ does)... No splitting damage on multi targets.

Anyone ever remember group farming the balron room in Hythloth? People would stand in one of those teleport rooms and cast MS/CL on the wall to hit the balron.... sometimes there was like 5 daemons in there with the bally, and I'm sure the area spells were doing full damage.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Sandro wrote:You haven't been able to gain resist in town on UOSA for well over a year now.
Not true, the bug still worked for sure on UOSA up until this patch(not sure how it would work now) by casting out to inside. The check for resistance skill gain was done based on the caster's region, not the player getting casted on. This is era accurate but not for our time frame and should be fixed regardless. Resist could not be gained in town as of early '00 wiping the bug from the game for good.

I used this bug on many of my characters, even the recent Hybrid that was made a few months ago.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

RoseRIP wrote:I pretty sure these area spells (chain/swarm) used to do full damage on multiple targets (lik EQ does)... No splitting damage on multi targets.

Anyone ever remember group farming the balron room in Hythloth? People would stand in one of those teleport rooms and cast MS/CL on the wall to hit the balron.... sometimes there was like 5 daemons in there with the bally, and I'm sure the area spells were doing full damage.
Yea I remember that, lol.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Faust wrote:Not true, the bug still worked for sure on UOSA up until this patch(not sure how it would work now) by casting out to inside. The check for resistance skill gain was done based on the caster's region, not the player getting casted on. This is era accurate but not for our time frame and should be fixed regardless. Resist could not be gained in town as of early '00 wiping the bug from the game for good.

I used this bug on many of my characters, even the recent Hybrid that was made a few months ago.
I was referring to a single player casting on himself in town, like what was done in the very early stages of UOSA.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

yossarian
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by yossarian »

Downs wrote:
Derrick wrote:
  • Snooping is a revealing action if stealthed.
I think i know how leet pvpers feel when you change swing timers/spell timers now...

minus that, great patch
Agreed, not exactly small goodies for all of us.. :(

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Rendar wrote:You should be able to still do this: Have 1 character stand out of town and cast on another character inside of town. You will only take 1 damage. Yes, more expensive & time consuming then free resist sessions. But it works and it's era accurate. This should still work after today's patch, if it doesn't they screwed up because we all know this was era accurate.
Aye, this is intended to still work, as it is indeed accurate to era; it works because the damage nerf to 1 damage happened right at one of the final steps, after resist was checked on the full damage. I may have broken this and will be fixing it as soon as possible if so.
Dr. Octagonecologyst wrote:
Sandro wrote:You haven't been able to gain resist in town on UOSA for well over a year now.
I was talking about OSI.... And if this damage modifier is from the demo, how is it that people were gming resist in town in the early part of t2a, while doing no damage to themselves in the process?
This was a specific OSI patch that removed the ability to gain resist in town on Feb 24 1999:
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=Ulti ... 02/24/1999: "It will not be possible to learn magic resistance in towns."

Sorry for the late replies, I took a weekend off.

Also, a bug involving the stuck menu will be fixed tommorrow morning. It was not working in some cases.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

I dunno if you read my last post Derrick, but bonnets were not (to my knowledge) on the npc sell list prior to this patch. I may well be wrong about this, but i have looked for them previously on a couple of npc vendors and not found them. Could have been sold out I guess?

Also, the bonnets being sold on npc vendors at the moment are not dyable. All other hats still are.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

marmalade wrote:I dunno if you read my last post Derrick, but bonnets were not (to my knowledge) on the npc sell list prior to this patch. I may well be wrong about this, but i have looked for them previously on a couple of npc vendors and not found them. Could have been sold out I guess?

Also, the bonnets being sold on npc vendors at the moment are not dyable. All other hats still are.
Hey, I did see your post but didn't realize what had happened. This turns out kind of interesting.

Default RunUO has tailors selling Leather Caps. I went through the sell list for tailors and applied an explicit item ID to each sell item, along with the new color range; OSI lists leather cap in their tailor item list, but they use the item id of the bonnet; i.e., it always should have been a bonnet, "leather_cap" is a misnomer in the OSI code.

What the tailors have been selling since this patch went in are "really" leather caps, but with the item graphic for a bonnet, and therefore not dyeable. This will been fixed, and tailors will now bonnets as they should and not leather caps.

Thanks!!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Derrick wrote:
Rendar wrote:You should be able to still do this: Have 1 character stand out of town and cast on another character inside of town. You will only take 1 damage. Yes, more expensive & time consuming then free resist sessions. But it works and it's era accurate. This should still work after today's patch, if it doesn't they screwed up because we all know this was era accurate.
Aye, this is intended to still work, as it is indeed accurate to era; it works because the damage nerf to 1 damage happened right at one of the final steps, after resist was checked on the full damage. I may have broken this and will be fixing it as soon as possible if so.
I have verified that our damage/resist in town sequence is the same as OSI's and this patch has no effect on the above concern. In town, the spell damage is set to one after the resist skill is checked for gains based on the original damage.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Well it looks like people will be using this bug instead of resist sessions from now on.

Load up them boats people and macro your resist.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Derrick wrote:
Derrick wrote:
I have verified that our damage/resist in town sequence is the same as OSI's and this patch has no effect on the above concern. In town, the spell damage is set to one after the resist skill is checked for gains based on the original damage.
A very important note on this:

According to the demo code, if a spell is cast and the victim is inside guard zone, there is a success check to see if the damage is cut in half. That success check does not actually offer any gains. If the victim is outside of guard zone, then a normal resist check is made to see if they gain, and damage is subsequently set to zero (not one) if the victim is a human. This was the exact function of the original resist bug (and the explanation of why the cove screen shot looked the way that it did) on OSI servers.

Given the above information, and the fact that the only time that a player could effectively gain resist "in town" on the demo was when the attacker was in town and the victim was outside of town, it stands to reason that this error was fixed as part of the 2/24/99 patch notes:
Thieves Guild, new skills, and more Feb 24 1999 1:06PM wrote:It will not be possible to learn magic resistance in towns.
Thus, according to the information we have at hand, no resist gains should be possible when either player is inside of town.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

Kaivan wrote:
Derrick wrote:
Derrick wrote:
A very important note on this:

According to the demo code, if a spell is cast and the victim is inside guard zone, there is a success check to see if the damage is cut in half. That success check does not actually offer any gains. If the victim is outside of guard zone, then a normal resist check is made to see if they gain, and damage is subsequently set to zero (not one) if the victim is a human. This was the exact function of the original resist bug (and the explanation of why the cove screen shot looked the way that it did) on OSI servers.

Given the above information, and the fact that the only time that a player could effectively gain resist "in town" on the demo was when the attacker was in town and the victim was outside of town, it stands to reason that this error was fixed as part of the 2/24/99 patch notes:
Thieves Guild, new skills, and more Feb 24 1999 1:06PM wrote:It will not be possible to learn magic resistance in towns.
Thus, according to the information we have at hand, no resist gains should be possible when either player is inside of town.

Well.. I don't personally care to check on it as all my guys are GM resist now, but I remember doing this right up until UO:R on Catskills. I don't even know what a demo is so... *shrug* But it worked during all of T2A.
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Bruno_Steelhart

Post by Bruno_Steelhart »

UDL is on this shard?

Faust

Post by Faust »

The resist bug that used the guard lines was fixed in February '99..

The bug that replaced it shortler after was the bladespirt bug involving bladesprits at an elevated z axis.