Macing

Moderator: Support Moderators

Hank

Re: Macing

Post by Hank »

SVrider wrote:
Hank wrote:Are there any guides to these hire npc's? These are new to me.

Thank you!
if gold is involved i'll stand around all day and let you pound on me, just remember nothing above the neck or below the belt
Prude.

SVrider

Post by SVrider »

prude maybe, broke.. definitely :lol:
RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Magicant

Post by Magicant »

I realize I may be asking a dumb question, but here goes anyway... I'm wanting to raise my swords skill, and I was going to hire an npc to train on. What weapon should I use to do the least amount of damage? And should I make an alt to heal the npc?

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

Without looking it up either skinning knife or butchers knife.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Chaos is probably right.

If you have healing you can heal them yourself (it's fast since you're healing someone else). If not, then yes you should have a character on to heal.

Magicant

Post by Magicant »

Spitfire wrote:Chaos is probably right.

If you have healing you can heal them yourself (it's fast since you're healing someone else). If not, then yes you should have a character on to heal.
Think an Alt with 50healing would suffice? XD

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Magicant wrote:

Yes, maybe. :) It won't hurt to buy anatomy and have the healer practice that on either the NPC or the char that's training melee. Increasing the healer's anatomy will help with the heals.

The healer's delay might need to be pretty quick, because there will be a lot of fails between 50-60 healing. I had my delay set at 10 seconds, because of the delay between anatomy attempts. It doesn't matter if your healer tries to heal the NPC at full health. You won't waste the bandage.

If 10 seconds is too long, set it to 6+ seconds, which will skip every other anatomy attempt.

Magicant

Post by Magicant »

Joueur Moyen wrote:
Magicant wrote:

Yes, maybe. :) It won't hurt to buy anatomy and have the healer practice that on either the NPC or the char that's training melee. Increasing the healer's anatomy will help with the heals.

The healer's delay might need to be pretty quick, because there will be a lot of fails between 50-60 healing. I had my delay set at 10 seconds, because of the delay between anatomy attempts. It doesn't matter if your healer tries to heal the NPC at full health. You won't waste the bandage.

If 10 seconds is too long, set it to 6+ seconds, which will skip every other anatomy attempt.
Thanks for the tip :) I may just make an alt with 50 Healing/Anatomy and hope for the best XD

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Magicant wrote: Thanks for the tip :) I may just make an alt with 50 Healing/Anatomy and hope for the best XD
You might want to use that char someday after working up its healing. For one thing, that alt can be a healer during more than 1 training session. My healer now has 80 healing just from using bandages during training, on an NPC, a mage char, and now also himself working magery.

Start with resist, or maybe magery, IMO. (Buy anatomy.)

Edit: DEFINITELY start with 50 healing. :)

(Didn't want to give the impression I was saying otherwise.)

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

DO NOT start with resist. This is one of the common mistakes made since it is one of the hardest/most expensive skills to GM. You can easily buy resist to 30, and walk along a fire field to 55 in less than 20 minutes.

Also, when training against an NPC, please let me know your results as to their response to the "stop" command, as apparently this last patch has nullified the effect of telling your hireling to "stop". If there is another command to give for them to stop attacking please let me know, as it is, if you say "stop" they will continue to attack you so be ready to heal both the NPC and player gaining when you train. This might make it tougher when considering healing with a char with only 50 skill.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Pirul wrote:DO NOT start with resist. This is one of the common mistakes made since it is one of the hardest/most expensive skills to GM. You can easily buy resist to 30, and walk along a fire field to 55 in less than 20 minutes.

Also, when training against an NPC, please let me know your results as to their response to the "stop" command, as apparently this last patch has nullified the effect of telling your hireling to "stop". If there is another command to give for them to stop attacking please let me know, as it is, if you say "stop" they will continue to attack you so be ready to heal both the NPC and player gaining when you train. This might make it tougher when considering healing with a char with only 50 skill.
Thanks, I didn't realize it was only 20 minutes. Does it matter what level the caster is?

If the "stop" command doesn't work, maybe triple client with two healers.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Joueur Moyen wrote:Thanks, I didn't realize it was only 20 minutes. Does it matter what level the caster is?

If the "stop" command doesn't work, maybe triple client with two healers.
Don't hold me to the 20 minutes, it might take 25, but certainly not an hour. :P I'm assuming a higher level (of both magery and eval) caster might speed up the process as resist is now damage based, so you'd be looking for the most ammount of damage. (I did it with a GM Mage/GM Eval, so that's my benchmark)

Two healers *might* work. I'd macro anatomy overnight on both of them just to have them at a decent level. 1 GM Healer/Anatomy should be able to keep both chars healed easily, but will use a ton of bandies as he will need to heal every 8-9 seconds.

Also, for swords a skinning knife if much better as it will make *considerably* less damage overtime than a butcher knife. Some 10-12 skinning knifes should be enough to take you from 30 to GM. Be sure to include an "if R-Hand empty, equip by type skinning knife" in your macro.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Magicant

Post by Magicant »

As for my starting skills, I made the mistake of using "resist" as one of my 50 skills. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but I'm not gonna cry too much over it. My other 50 skill was magery. The template I'm shooting for is;

Magery
Meditation
Eval Int
Resist Spells
Wrestling
Swordsmanship
Tactics

my old pvp build from back when I actually played LONG LONG ago. I'm sure it's not really MY build, but it's the one I used :P

Looking back, I'm thinking rather than resisting spells, I should have gone with Tactics or Eval Int. (Eval only because it takes so fkin long)

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

The combat skill gain system is messed up and not accurate to how it was on OSI. The weird thing here is that your highest chance to gain seems to come from hitting something with the lowest possible weapon skill.

My first character here was a dexer, I GMed swords in about 5-6 hours fighting skeletons and timberwolves.

It's really evident when you macro that it's better to fight an NPC mage, which you have practically 100% chance to hit, than it is to fight a paladin - which you maybe have 50% chance to hit.

Mage will rocket you to GM in about 5 hours macro
Paladin I think takes around 12.

Macing is also the slowest weapon skill to GM.

Just fight weak stuff.
------------

I reccommend going to brit mage shop (I saw some mage NPCs in there yesterday which I'm quite certain were hirable). Go up to an NPC mage in a non-blue robe and say "[name] hire", then drop the amount of gold on him that he asks for. Control him just the way you would a pet.

edited out some stuff that is no longer relevant to uosa
Last edited by nightshark on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Magicant

Post by Magicant »

I need something that will get me some income for regs. I'm a newbie to this shard and have nothing to work work so GMing magery will be quite a hurdle.