Major Lag Problems

aXe

Major Lag Problems

Post by aXe »

So my computer burnt out and I have been using my parents old one which is a decent computer, It's probably as old as this game though. When I play UO i'm always lagging, skipping, crashing, etc. I don't really have money at the moment and I know the lag could be from plenty of different reasons.

The computer has a 40gb hdd with atleast 20gbs left, and 512mb ram. The only program I ever have running with UO is razor, and well kaspersky is always running but it keeps the computer safe ( I hope.) I've tried Advanced Systemcare and a bunch of other free programs. Yes i have smart cpu usage unchecked as well ! Just wondering if anyone out there could point me in the right direction so I can actually enjoy UO and not lag! 8)
<hemperor> plus im sure ive handled more money than your mcdonalds ass ever has, my $1200 dollar speaks for itself! :)

potamus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Major Lag Problems

Post by potamus »

If your parents computer is as old as this game chances are the computer is not ever going to run like it did. I'm currently running my hard drive into the ground, I lag, I can't field pvp because of this, and so I have had to learn to enjoy the game with all its other great alternative styles.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

What's your cpu usage when running uo ?
Do you have frame skipping enabled (client settings) ?
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

yossarian
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by yossarian »

Not really on topic, but if you parents have XP ditch that other anti virus software and get Microsoft Security Essentials. Free antivirus and antimalware from microsoft. They know thier APIs better than anyone. I almost guarantee it has a smaller memory footprint and auto updates through windows update. It dosent pop up wit BS messages all the time either, just does its thing in the background.
smaller memory footprint might help with razor/UO, who knows?

Another stick of memory would probably be fairly cheap for a computer that old. If its as old as you say a computer repair place might just give you some for free because they cant use it anywhere else.

aXe

Post by aXe »

Thanks for the replies, I'm definitely interested in upgrading the ram but I don't wanna put money into this piece of crap really. If I can find something cheap, then for sure. My CPU usage is 100% when I play UO ..

EDIT: When I have frame skipping enabled it goes down to about 80% CPU usage.
<hemperor> plus im sure ive handled more money than your mcdonalds ass ever has, my $1200 dollar speaks for itself! :)

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

open computer up read sticker search it on ebay.. or post pic of sticker and I'll tell ya what to search for . and yes I'd guess 10bucks tops with shipping .. lol

*edit .. had a computer issue at work with pos system the other week. I went to local computer shop and asked if they had any xxx ram they looked at me laughed went into the back for a few mins came out with 3 sticks handed them to me and said good luck ... didn't even charge me anything .. (computer was top of the line 13 years go) LOL

Old ram is cheap for most not even worth selling ..

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy